Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had a large points jump/drop between the mocks and the Leaving?

Options
  • 16-01-2018 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Doing mine in a few weeks & expecting about 420-ish points. I was a lazy bum until the after Christmas to be honest haha. I'm hoping for 470 in the LC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sonic2000

From my own experience, i went up at least 1 grade in each subject, so a jump of 30+ will definitely occur. I went from 450 to 520. Originally got a d2 in maths and got a B3 in the leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tinabelcher99

Well done!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Anyone had a large points ... drop between the mocks and the Leaving?
    Drops do occasionally happen, but they're not that common.

Probably the most common cause is someone who gets their points goal or above in the mocks, and feel they can sit back and take their foot off the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Yep. Increased points by 455.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

One of my mates who did the leaving last year got 350 in his mocks and then got 580 in the lc, remember you have a lot of time after the mocks to study, they will give you a good indication on what you need to improve on. Don't get too worried about the mocks, I'm doing it by grade in each subject rather than a points total to aim for, get the head down after the mocks and we will all get what we want guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

If you search through some old threads on this site you'll find stories of people getting 170 in the mocks and then getting like 450 in the real thing. It really depends on what work is done between the mocks and the real thing.

If I recall correctly a few years ago a poster put together a spreadsheet with data from leaving certs on here at the time showing the points they got in the mocks and the points they got in the real thing. I can't remember the exact findings but I think that it was found that people rarely improved by more than 80 or 90 points, most people improved by around 50 or so. That's just off the top of my head though and I could be wrong.

I improved by 67 points from the mocks to the LC myself

Edit: Found it
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056356084/1/#post73797443

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tinabelcher99

Thanks for the information, it's class someone took the time to do that !

Advertisement