Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raising lawn level.

Options
  • 16-01-2018 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

i want to raise my lawn 4 inches. Before i spread new topsoil what should i do with the grass and topsoil thats growing there now and when should i do it?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Car99 wrote: »
    Hi ,

i want to raise my lawn 4 inches. Before i spread new topsoil what should i do with the grass and topsoil thats growing there now and when should i do it?

Cheers.

I added kerbing around our lawns last winter and raised the lawn level to finish flush with the kerbs. I done nothing with the existing grass only added topsoil. It turned out a powerful job!

I'd go at it as soon as ground conditions allow. So.... March or April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I added kerbing around our lawns last winter and raised the lawn level to finish flush with the kerbs. I done nothing with the existing grass only added topsoil. It turned out a powerful job!

I'd go at it as soon as ground conditions allow. So.... March or April.

Thanks for that , if nobody comes along with a good reason not to i'll do the same. Make my life alot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Car99 wrote: »
    Thanks for that , if nobody comes along with a good reason not to i'll do the same. Make my life alot easier.

I suppose I should clarify... When I said I just added topsoil. I did. And I levelled, raked, added grass seed and rolled.
    I was just looking at pictures there it was the last week in April. But like I said, get at it when ground conditions allow. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If your existing lawn is heavily packed and prone to flooding, I'd consider putting some sort of drainage channels before adding the topsoil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

homer911 wrote: »
    If your existing lawn is heavily packed and prone to flooding, I'd consider putting some sort of drainage channels before adding the topsoil

In the plan cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement