Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon CS100 1TB WiFi drive €34.99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A review where the at time of review it cost $300, I suppose now for €35 you can't possibly go wrong...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can this unit be used for plugging into pc and copy videos and photos on to it from the family smart phones?
    Just trying to figure out what you are all discussing. I have a couple of phones that need to have the videos and photos dumped to free up memory. Will this sort me out?

Plug it in beside your home router, connect it with an ethernet cable (not included) then all the phones can fire images off to it with the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

zinzan wrote: »
    Direct link worked for me,

Me too, got email about 10 seconds after ordering. Set up account and clicked redeem voucher and had 115gb instantly and then a couple of minutes later got tracking number.
    Best efficiency, I think I have ever seen with an online order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

ED E wrote: »
    Plug it in beside your home router, connect it with an ethernet cable (not included) then all the phones can fire images off to it with the app.

And is it as easy to transfer them to some other drive say for example a normal HDD in a laptop, at some future point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Ordered deffo worth the money at that price, got a 1300D for Xmas and have a canon printer already will go nicely.

Thank op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Not even 24 hours! I tried it just now & it wasn't valid... Only placed my order at about 17.30

Same thing happened me. Was thinking they might be only valid for new accounts as apparently I had one already from a Cannon printer I bought a couple of years ago but the code didn’t work with a new account either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

jakdublin wrote: »
    Same thing happened me. Was thinking they might be only valid for new accounts as apparently I had one already from a Cannon printer I bought a couple of years ago but the code didn’t work with a new account either.

Did you download the Irista app ? Worked for me just now. I got the 15gb following new account setup (via web browser). No option to redeem code that I could find. Downloaded the app, logged in, and then I had the redeem code option

mega nz offers 50gb free if anyone needs storage.

was going to buy this thing but then read that you can't even load stuff onto it via the usb port - export only. there is a chance that this thing could be hacked into something useful but as it's so niche most hacker developers won't be interested in it. I could just see it gathering dust, especially as it needs to be powered via plug and takes a while to boot up.

although may be useful if you are too lazy to put a camera sd card into a laptop I suppose!

sugarman wrote: »
    Go to "Account" icon in top right corner of the home page once youre logged in, then just scroll down to the bottom to "Redeem voucher".

Worked for me instantly.

See it now, on the very bottom. Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

glasso wrote: »
    was going to buy this thing but then read that you can't even load stuff onto it via the usb port - export only.

That's not correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Surely 115 gb of cloud photo storage with a "reliable" big name like Canon for a once off payment of 34.99 is pretty decent even without the hardware.

Surely 115 gb of cloud photo storage with a "reliable" big name like Canon for a once off payment of 34.99 is pretty decent even without the hardware.

Not really, with the amount of free storage out there these days. Still, as a freebie in line with the HDD purchase, can't really be sniffed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

mega nz offers 50gb free if anyone needs storage.
    Apples vs oranges. Mega and other similar services are a content-agnostic type of cloud storage and exchange, whereas irista is tailored for photo and recently also video - so it competes against the likes of google photos or flickr.

Irista has some nice bits.
    File:
    IMG_7841.cr2

CR2 | 22.55 MB | 3465x5202

Many hosts dont natively support CR2, but obviously Canon do.

Also, photo of smartwatch shot at F2 got tagged as "Digital Watch" and "Depth of Field" automatically. Got some smarts in there.

EDIT: Dog wasnt tagged as dog, but border terrier - correctly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I assume if not working you can refuse the purchase as it is part of the offer?

Also,has any one being able to confirm in T&C ( maybe some one who purchased) is the 100 GB indefinite ? I see its € 2 a month at the moment w, so if was avoid those charges would be worth it_ Idid a mad amount of traveling and never really sorted the photo back up( Google is just at it s limit)

Thanks

• Advertisement

Also,has any one being able to confirm in T&C ( maybe some one who purchased) is the 100 GB indefinite ? I see its € 2 a month at the moment w, so if was avoid those charges would be worth it_ Idid a mad amount of traveling and never really sorted the photo back up( Google is just at it s limit)

It's not quite clear, but I'd like to think it's lifetime: https://canon-winter-2017-uk-and-ie.sales-promotions.com/terms-and-conditions-promotion/?country_promotion=1
    The thing is, in the past they used to explicitly mentioned lifetime, now they don't. On the other hand, if you look at their promotion for Middle East, it clearly says 'for 5 years', no such wording here either.

That said, even lifetime only means 'as long as the product is supported'. I once received a lifetime access to a mobile app (unrelated to canon) as a part of a promotion, which was later officially EOL'd but in reality only renamed to a 'new product' to cut loose of all users like me. That's an extreme example, but even in a case of a reputable company like canon you can never be sure - just look at Microsoft nowadays, how they kill products and services and ditch their loyal users.

It's not quite clear, but I'd like to think it's lifetime: https://canon-winter-2017-uk-and-ie.sales-promotions.com/terms-and-conditions-promotion/?country_promotion=1
    The thing is, in the past they used to explicitly mentioned lifetime, now they don't. On the other hand, if you look at their promotion for Middle East, it clearly says 'for 5 years', no such wording here either.

That said, even lifetime only means 'as long as the product is supported'. I once received a lifetime access to a mobile app (unrelated to canon) as a part of a promotion, which was later officially EOL'd but in reality only renamed to a 'new product' to cut loose of all users like me. That's an extreme example, but even in a case of a reputable company like canon you can never be sure - just look at Microsoft nowadays, how they kill products and services and ditch their loyal users.

Yep. it's lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Thanks

New account (15GB) with redeemed voucher shows up as 115GB available but still a free/starter account - can't see how I'll be liable for any recurring charge:

2v2jm8w.jpg

That's not correct

https://petapixel.com/2015/12/01/review-canons-cs100-connect-station-is-overpriced-and-unnecessary/

"CS100 has a USB port, it’s only USB 2.0 and only lets you pull images OFF the device to backup elsewhere. This just makes no sense for me — is the CS100 my backup solution or not? Why can’t I bulk add a ton of images from a thumb drive straight onto it? It’s a peculiar design decision."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So, will this drive appear as a network drive in Windows 10 (or whatever OS), once it's setup on your home network?

• Advertisement

So am I right that, in summary:

Buy this device/ drive, power it up and connect to the router by ethernet.
    Download the app to phone or tablet
    Find new storage device on phone or tablet
    Fire off all photos and videos to it

At some future point, it is possible to put usb into this device and pull all the photos and videos from it to some other device

Is that it in a nutshell, leaving aside speed/ free online bits and pieces.

https://petapixel.com/2015/12/01/review-canons-cs100-connect-station-is-overpriced-and-unnecessary/

"CS100 has a USB port, it’s only USB 2.0 and only lets you pull images OFF the device to backup elsewhere. This just makes no sense for me — is the CS100 my backup solution or not? Why can’t I bulk add a ton of images from a thumb drive straight onto it? It’s a peculiar design decision."

"The CS100 is a standalone product that doesn’t require a computer to function, although it does need to be connected to a TV to view content and menus; it supports Full HD displays via HDMI. To add content, you can transfer photos and videos wirelessly from Wi-Fi-enabled Canon cameras and camcorders (NFC helps to facilitate the pairing and download processes quickly); directly off an SD or Compact Flash card through the built-in card reader; or from a compatible camera or flash drive through the USB port. Although it uses the 802.11n Wi-Fi protocol, it’s much faster to insert a memory card. The CS100 also has a mobile app (iOS and Android) that supports viewing and transferring of photos on smartphones and tablets."

A lot of conflicting info re: the USB port functionality (Above transcript taken from a DT review). There was a FW update in 2017 which added a few things so perhaps that had something to do with it. Eitherway, I'm more anxious now to see how my €35 was spent:D

https://www.canon.ie/for_home/product_finder/photo-storage/cs100/#benefits

"Quickly import images from your NFC camera, PC, memory cards and USB devices"

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Looks like a great bargain - thanks OP

Has anyone bought two and tried to double their free online storage? That's what interests me most about this!

How does one go about the free storage?
    I am after buying this unit so should have access to the free storage part?

How does one go about the free storage?
    I am after buying this unit so should have access to the free storage part?

Read the thread. Code is only valid till midnight on day of order.

Got it, figured it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Just ordered one. For that price ye couldn't say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

At some future point, it is possible to put usb into this device and pull all the photos and videos from it to some other device

The USB port on it is a USB Host, so it is for plugging your USB stick or card readers into, so you can copy items onto the CS100. It will never be possible to plug this into a computer and operate it as a USB portable drive. It does have Ethernet on it though, so you could easily map the device on your computer and copy on and off it over the network.

If you plug a USB drive into the USB port on the CS100, it may be possible to copy files off onto that, but that depends on the software the the CS100 runs. I'll find out next week when mine arrives, I guess.

€35 for a 1TB 2.5" disk is a good price no matter how you look at it though.

Just got the free 100GB online up and running.
    It is so creepy that it is able to attach tags to all your photos.
    It is scarily accurate with its tags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

Don't need it ... don't really want it ... but I just flippin bought it!!!

The USB port on it is a USB Host, so it is for plugging your USB stick or card readers into, so you can copy items onto the CS100. It will never be possible to plug this into a computer and operate it as a USB portable drive. It does have Ethernet on it though, so you could easily map the device on your computer and copy on and off it over the network.

If you plug a USB drive into the USB port on the CS100, it may be possible to copy files off onto that, but that depends on the software the the CS100 runs. I'll find out next week when mine arrives, I guess.

€35 for a 1TB 2.5" disk is a good price no matter how you look at it though.

From the manual there's a restricted USB backup/restoration facility to initialise & format an external hard drive wholesale - the exported files can only be reread on CS100 and cannot be added to. USB input mention importing from (ideally, post 2010) camcorder data exclusively.

Other than cam video it plays mov and MP4 - no avi or mkv, universal media player it ain't, but a 1TB WD drive and 115GB online is a steal for €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

Noticed on this site that the €50 "cashback" expires 17th January 2017 but that may be a typo and they mean today !!!

https://www.whelancameras.ie/canon-connect-station-cs100-photo-storage

btw thanks OP for posting.

Looks like a great bargain - thanks OP

Has anyone bought two and tried to double their free online storage? That's what interests me most about this!

Used a 2nd email for two 115GB accounts (too chicken to try stack ... anyway 215GB max :p ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

So

Can you watch downloaded movies on the TV or you still need the like of a box for that?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Can you watch downloaded movies on the TV or you still need the like of a box for that?
    It is supposed to play several video formats, but don't expect it to be an alternative to kodi boxes in this respect. There will be lots of limitations, that's certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

ED E wrote: »
    Read the thread. Code is only valid till midnight on day of order.

Just in case anyone is wondering about redeeming the 100GB -
    I was able to redeem my code just now(17-Jan) even though I ordered yesterday(16-Jan).
    My email does say its valid until 17/01/2018 so I assume that means it should be available for use up until 23:59

It is supposed to play several video formats, but don't expect it to be an alternative to kodi boxes in this respect. There will be lots of limitations, that's certain.

yes certainly won't play modern formats like hevc x265.
    and since it's a usb host you'd have to copy onto this via a wifi network or put it onto a usb key or hard drive first (as someone else said can't connect this up to a pc directly).

seems most useful obviously if you have a wifi-enabled canon camera and want to use it for photos and videos and if the 100gb cloud storage proves to be lifetime access and you need that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

theShire wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is wondering about redeeming the 100GB -
    I was able to redeem my code just now(17-Jan) even though I ordered yesterday(16-Jan).
    My email does say its valid until 17/01/2018 so I assume that means it should be available for use up until 23:59

Ordered and redeemed code just now. Thanks OP

• Advertisement

yes certainly won't play modern formats like hevc x265.
    and since it's a usb host you'd have to copy onto this via a wifi network or put it onto a usb key or hard drive first (as someone else said can't connect this up to a pc directly).

seems most useful obviously if you have a wifi-enabled canon camera and want to use it for photos and videos and if the 100gb cloud storage proves to be lifetime access and you need that.

Again, wire it into your network, download directly to it. Be an OK media box if done that way assuming codec support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

I haven't managed to get the 100gb....all I see when I click the link is 3 options (free 15gb option and two pay options). Where is the option to enter the code for the 100gb?

You have to sign in first and then enter your coupon that was in the email they sent you

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

After 24hrs of hard pondering I've talked myself out of buying one. It is a pretty great bargain but dont quite need it

1TB for €35 is good but you can buy a Maxtor USB3.0 drive of that size for £44 on Amazon. so adding a USB 3.0 enclosure wouldn't save me much
    I've got 1TB of cloud storage with Office 365 so not sure I'd use Irista for anything specific
    I can stream my photos to my TV from my Nvidia Shield and Apple TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Purchased 3 days ago, redeemed just now.

Mike1961 wrote: »
    I haven't managed to get the 100gb....all I see when I click the link is 3 options (free 15gb option and two pay options). Where is the option to enter the code for the 100gb?

It's on the screen before that. The first screen you see when you login, go to the bottom right and there's an 'enter voucher' link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭PreCocious

The Irista service seems very good. Uploads are extremely fast and scrolling through photos online is good. For photos online browsing is way faster than One Drive.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    After 24hrs of hard pondering I've talked myself out of buying one. It is a pretty great bargain but dont quite need it

1TB for €35 is good but you can buy a Maxtor USB3.0 drive of that size for £44 on Amazon. so adding a USB 3.0 enclosure wouldn't save me much
    I've got 1TB of cloud storage with Office 365 so not sure I'd use Irista for anything specific
    I can stream my photos to my TV from my Nvidia Shield and Apple TV
    Shame on you, trying to instil common sense around these parts. Get out, now!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

So, will this drive appear as a network drive in Windows 10 (or whatever OS), once it's setup on your home network?

I think we'd have to map the drive manually.

Can someone confirm how it's accessible from win/mac laptops?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I ordered on the 16th, didn't pay any attention to the cloud element of this until now. Voucher still worked even though it stated it expired on the 17th. Happy days, 115GB of storage is nice!

EDIT: In case anyone is thinking of buying their storage plan, it is pretty expensive when compared to amazon, so it's not really worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

Nice BA OP Well worth a punt

• Advertisement
Advertisement