Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon CS100 1TB WiFi drive €34.99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

just ordered two of them - 100 euro discount but no voucher code on the confirmation email...

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

tphase wrote: »
    just ordered two of them - 100 euro discount but no voucher code on the confirmation email...

I thought I didn't get a code either, think the code is sent from a different server,I searched all emails and found the code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

I ordered one, let's see ho it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

I'm a bit late to this party and only ordered today.

No code in any email so I emailed Canon but they confirmed the online storage offer finished yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Arriving tomorrow via UPS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Arrived this morning.
    Will have a play after work and over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

theShire wrote: »
    Arrived this morning.
    Will have a play after work and over the weekend

Just got mine too. Don't forget, you'll need ethernet and HDMI cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Got mine this morning and just updating the firmware now...set up was a breeze so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Macer123

harr wrote: »
    Got mine this morning and just updating the firmware now...set up was a breeze so far.

Does it not come with the most up to date firmware ??

Where did you go to get a later version ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Macer123 wrote: »

US support site how-to (different version no. likely)

• Advertisement

Macer123 wrote: »

No doesn’t come with the latest firmware, big sticker even on the box advising you to update it.
    Once you connect by WiFi or cable go into the preferences and select firmware and the option is there to update it. Was done in about 10 minutes.
    On another note NFC transfer is slow well a lot slower than sticking in the SD card but the NFC works fine.
    Great bit of kit for the money ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

the NFC works fine..

With a Canon camera or with another device like a smartphone?

Snotty wrote: »
    I have only tried it with canon camera so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No doesn’t come with the latest firmware, big sticker even on the box advising you to update it.
    Once you connect by WiFi or cable go into the preferences and select firmware and the option is there to update it. Was done in about 10 minutes.
    On another note NFC transfer is slow well a lot slower than sticking in the SD card but the NFC works fine.
    Great bit of kit for the money ..

Just to explain, its a wifi transfer thats triggered by NFC, nothing actually goes over NFC (that's tin can and string slow).
    I have only tried it with canon camera so far

Unfortunately my 600D precedes the NFC/Wifi tech so now this €30 BA has me looking at €500+ new bodies. Fúck sake boards.

Snotty wrote: »
    Just downloaded the app on my iPhone and transfer from phone to device is very straight forward and a lot quicker than NFC/WiFi

Its quite...limited. Im really glad I didnt spend 300 quid on this thing.

There's hope though:
    https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

ED E wrote: »
    Its quite...limited. Im really glad I didnt spend 300 quid on this thing.

There's hope though:
    https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/

What video files it can play? Can it work as a media player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Gigabit port is nice. Seems like those guys are deffo gonna hack it, tempted to buy a second one

coldfire1x wrote: »
    What video files it can play? Can it work as a media player?

I doubt it. I bought one just to have a look and hopefully hack it into something I can actually use practically. It's a toy imo. Certainly wouldn't buy it for its intended purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Does this work as a regular plug and play drag and drop external hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Don't really need it, but HDD alone is worth it.

Thanks OP.

brightkane wrote: »

Does anyone read the thead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

ED E wrote: »
    brightkane wrote: »

Does anyone read the thead?
    I did but missed the post.

It will show up as a network drive when attached to the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Anyone able to crack this open yet? Finding it hard to get a screwdriver that fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

brightkane wrote:
    It will show up as a network drive when attached to the router?

I have it attached with ethernet and i cant see it with the telly or nvidia shield. Anybody know how to achieve this or do i need to use the hdmi to display on a telly?

• Advertisement

I have it attached with ethernet and i cant see it with the telly or nvidia shield. Anybody know how to achieve this or do i need to use the hdmi to display on a telly?

Yes, you can only view it on the TV so you need the HDMI cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

I most likely asking a question that has been asked but here I go haha, With the update in feb 2017, could we in theory move edited movies(movies hehe) to the drive and play these on the TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ordered @13.02
    Tracking Number @13.15

I most likely asking a question that has been asked but here I go haha, With the update in feb 2017, could we in theory move edited movies(movies hehe) to the drive and play these on the TV

the video formats it would play would be limited.

mp4, mov and AVCHD seem to be the video formats that it's able to play.

also the menu organisation of video files won't be very good.

not really designed to be a general media player - more for camera-sourced content

unless it's effectively hacked of course - depends on how much effort is put in by the hackers.

the chip on it is from 2011 though so will never be great.

Personally if I can get SMB/NFS working and SSH that'd be cool. €30 1TB NAS. Running it headless is where you'll find some use for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just connected mine up. God it's awful. Haha, you'd be kicking yourself if you had spent any real money on it. There's a couple of threads around with people trying to get SSH to it, but it's not possible. No NFS either so it doesn't show as a network drive. I think I'll be taking out the disk and getting a usb sata connector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

I refused delivery on mine. Should get refunded in about 10 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mr.S wrote: »
    Can I use this as a hub for media and access over WiFi from my MacBook?

No you cannot.

Just connected mine up. God it's awful. Haha, you'd be kicking yourself if you had spent any real money on it. There's a couple of threads around with people trying to get SSH to it, but it's not possible. No NFS either so it doesn't show as a network drive. I think I'll be taking out the disk and getting a usb sata connector.

Haha. Yeah, I'm kinda kicking myself having spent what we did on it. Jaysus, imagine spending €300 on it? In fairness, it does what it says quite nicely but if you want photos on your TV there's loads of other ways to do it.

Getting the disk out is easier said than done. There's four screws that I can see but they're seated in real deep and ain't easy to get at. I haven't figured out how to get at them yet. If you manage it, let us know how you did it and what kind of screw heads they are. Might be best just to force it open seeing as how you won't be needing the casing after anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

Haha was just thinking maybe someone with one could let me know, if I but a video on a usb can be be played or copied to the drive. I bought a few 64gb cards from boots when they were on sale. If you use the SD as the “disc” for video playback it may be an ok/useable media player in that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

SSH is possible. Don't spread misinformation without doing some research there's a link on previous pages were some one has already done it.

Etnies wrote: »
    SSH is possible. Don't spread misinformation without doing some research there's a link on previous pages were some one has already done it.

It's possible but going by that thread nobody has managed to get it to do anything useful with it yet and one lad reckons he's bricked his already. That thread wouldn't be for the faint hearted anyway. I'd imagine most who bought here are looking for an easier way to get some use out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Still waiting for mine to arrive, but the fact that it has no form of NAS protocol (smb etc.) is ridiculous. It's not like it wouldn't have the processing power for it. I could have been a genuinely useful little thing for photographers and general users alike. How are you supposed to get media back off the hdd? Through the interface?

It was never worth the original rrp.

Schorpio wrote: »
    How are you supposed to get media back off the hdd? Through the interface?

It was never worth the original rrp.

You can export it to a USB stick or an external drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Tweaky wrote: »
    Thanks OP. Got one for the wife. She has a canon EOS 1300d and was filling up the PC hard drive with all her photos. This also comes with 100gb of online storage as well. Can't believe how quick it was despatched. Will have it Friday.

How did you get the 100Gb of storage? I've just bought one and don't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

McGaggs wrote: »
    How did you get the 100Gb of storage? I've just bought one and don't see it.

That offer expired a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

A code issued to your email address which you would input to the Irista app but you would need to have purchased the product on 17th Jan as that was the last day of the 100gb storage offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

august12 wrote: »
    A code issued to your email address which you would input to the Irista app but you would need to have purchased the product on 17th Jan as that was the last day of the 100gb storage offer.

D'oh. I'll just tell myself that it wouldn't have stacked with the 100Gb I already have from buying a lens last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

McGaggs wrote: »
    D'oh. I'll just tell myself that it wouldn't have stacked with the 100Gb I already have from buying a lens last year.

It does add up.

I got 100 Gb for Sx710 i got last year and not got additional 100 Gb for this station.

Altogether 200 Gb space,

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

jakdublin wrote: »
    Haha. Yeah, I'm kinda kicking myself having spent what we did on it. Jaysus, imagine spending €300 on it? In fairness, it does what it says quite nicely but if you want photos on your TV there's loads of other ways to do it.

Getting the disk out is easier said than done. There's four screws that I can see but they're seated in real deep and ain't easy to get at. I haven't figured out how to get at them yet. If you manage it, let us know how you did it and what kind of screw heads they are. Might be best just to force it open seeing as how you won't be needing the casing after anyways.

Screws are Torx T10. As the entry is slim you'll need a torx driver, the T10 fitted into an adapter you get with a lot of tool kits won't do.

A small flat head screwdriver might work also if you get precisely the 'right' size and push down hard into the T10. That's how I managed it in the end.

If you don't care about anything but the drive, you could always just lever open with a chisel of course :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

sugarman wrote: »
    Agreed. Piece of junk.

Slightly regret buying it myself, but i'll pull out the drive and upgrade the PS4 to 1TB and throw the 500GB into the PS3 and the aul 80GB from that can gp back into the Canon. Still works out 15quid cheaper than buying a 1TB drive.

Who came up with the concept for this device? Such a long list of things that we will purposely make sure it can't do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Deagol wrote: »
    Screws are Torx T10. As the entry is slim you'll need a torx driver, the T10 fitted into an adapter you get with a lot of tool kits won't do.

A small flat head screwdriver might work also if you get precisely the 'right' size and push down hard into the T10. That's how I managed it in the end.

If you don't care about anything but the drive, you could always just lever open with a chisel of course :)

Yeah, one of those cheap 2mm precision slot-head works fine with pliers for extra torque if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

€89 now

NIMAN wrote: »
    €89 now

Add to basket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

NIMAN wrote: »
    €89 now

439554.JPG

Advertisement