Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon CS100 1TB WiFi drive €34.99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Someone else mentioned this, but this device is really loud, obnoxiously so. I wondered if it had a fan in side it but I doubt it.

Mine had an airplane for breakfast..! :D

I'm thinking to shuck this and plug the drive into my router's USB port before doing a funeral for the €35 :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

bromley52 wrote: »
    I would suguest if anyone has the option to return the useless piece of $@#% . It is literally throwing money down the drain.

Seems shockingly badly designed device, and it was an impulse buy for me, I assumed no one would design a backup HDD with network connection that didn't work like a standard NAS. I'll send it back unopened but I will keep an eye on this thread to see if the boffins get a usable hack.

Sorry if it was linked already.
    https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've ordered a SATA -> USB case for this drive. I'll connect it to my Raspberry pi and use it as network storage. It'll be slow but it's purely for backup purposes so it doesn't bother me really.

Someone else mentioned this, but this device is really loud, obnoxiously so. I wondered if it had a fan in side it but I doubt it.

Yup, it has a tiny noisy fan in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Deagol wrote: »
    Screws are Torx T10. As the entry is slim you'll need a torx driver, the T10 fitted into an adapter you get with a lot of tool kits won't do.

A small flat head screwdriver might work also if you get precisely the 'right' size and push down hard into the T10. That's how I managed it in the end.

If you don't care about anything but the drive, you could always just lever open with a chisel of course :)

WD10JUCT Western Digital drive in mine. Managed to open as the only torx driver I have in the office just matched. Can share pictures later as I am busy at work now.
    One warning before you open yours - remove bottom cover first as there are tiny cables going to antena and speaker at the top cover.

If you need a bare 1TB 2.5" drive (for laptop repair etc) then €35 is a good enough price... £41 is about the cheapest I see a bare 1TB 2.5" on Amazon.

Of course you get a warranty for that £41 and the drive will be newer (fewer platters etc) so swings and roundabouts.

That's about the only reason I would buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Yup, it has a tiny noisy fan in
    Which, by the looks of things, is there to cool the card slots, not the CPU/GPU. Now that's ok, as readers and cards tend to break under heat, but why, oh why, does it spin the whole time, even with no cards inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Which, by the looks of things, is there to cool the card slots, not the CPU/GPU. Now that's ok, as readers and cards tend to break under heat, but why, oh why, does it spin the whole time, even with no cards inside.

I think its more thats the only space the fan would fit and also have space inside the case to propagate through the rest of the case. Not a great design anywho

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    I think its more thats the only space the fan would fit and also have space inside the case to propagate through the rest of the case. Not a great design anywho

I don't mint to disconnect it and check if it burns down after that ;) I need just drive as I have 3 empty sata-usb cases to fill so I will test it tomorrow and let you know results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

zom wrote: »
    WD10JUCT Western Digital drive in mine. Managed to open as the only torx driver I have in the office just matched. Can share pictures later as I am busy at work now.
    One warning before you open yours - remove bottom cover first as there are tiny cables going to antena and speaker at the top cover.
    zom wrote: »
    I don't mint to disconnect it and check if it burns down after that ;) I need just drive as I have 3 empty sata-usb cases to fill so I will test it tomorrow and let you know results.
    I've ordered a SATA -> USB case for this drive. I'll connect it to my Raspberry pi and use it as network storage. It'll be slow but it's purely for backup purposes so it doesn't bother me really.

That's great stuff. Let us know how you get on lads. I'm struggling just to open the damn thing. I'm going to get that drive out if it's the last thing I do! Very tempted to just take a chisel to it as somebody suggested earlier in the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

jakdublin wrote: »
    That's great stuff. Let us know how you get on lads. I'm struggling just to open the damn thing. I'm going to get that drive out if it's the last thing I do! Very tempted to just take a chisel to it as somebody suggested earlier in the thread!

A 2.4mm flathead from a cheap precision set like this does the job (pliers at right angle for extra leverage helps).

2nrihps.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ Thats exactly what I used.

Deagol wrote: »
    Screws are Torx T10. As the entry is slim you'll need a torx driver, the T10 fitted into an adapter you get with a lot of tool kits won't do.
    I placed a bit on top of the screw first and attached it to an adapter, while still holding the bit with my fingers, so that although connected, it would not slide all the way inside the adapter. That provided enough extension.

Canon CS100 - what's inside? Tear it (luckly I got torx driver but you may try small flathead screwdriver) !!

DSC_7182.jpg

Next step is tricky as top cover goes first and there are tiny cables connected to it. BEWARE !! Keep top cover on and remove bottom:

DSC_7183.jpg

Not much inside but you can see noisy fan I am going to disconnect to see what happen ;) Also top right corner there is speaker (?) cable I almost tor out trying to remove top cover first.
    Hard drive is mounted using 8 screws (?!). 4 to the sides on anti vibration rubber blocks and 4 to the top with golden colour springs. BEWARE !! Keep a finger on that springs while unscrewing or your little tiny screws fly away !!:

DSC_7185.jpg

And finally drive shown as it is:

DSC_7191.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

What a shockingly sh1t piece of kit. FML

• Advertisement

Mike1961 wrote: »

This is bit-over-average class drive, that's why the price. It suppose to be more reliable, quieter and cooler than other 2,5 drives. But I run CS100 without fan for few hours and after that time the wormiest part of device was just disk drive. Still far from hot, 35-40 degrees maybe. I am going to put it into USB case anyway, without fan or even vent grill.

So if you want to use it but don't like fan noise - disconnect it (MIND YOU MAY LOOSE YOUR WARRANTY IF OPEN CS100).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Mike1961 wrote: »

Not a bad price - Amazon with delivery & PM charges around €65. Ordering in a replacement CS100 through elara ... not such a good idea

2ewis1l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

But it's still a POS at any price

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

Well, I'd like to thank the OP - I think it's a bargain!

I still haven't opened or used it yet, but it was the unlimited online storage I was mainly interested in. And that alone for €35 euro is a bargain. The drive is a bonus and I'm sure I'll find some use for it.

I still haven't opened or used it yet, but it was the unlimited online storage I was mainly interested in. And that alone for €35 euro is a bargain. The drive is a bonus and I'm sure I'll find some use for it.

Its not unlimited, its 115GB....

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

A word of warning, I’ve been burned numerous times with large cloud storage where after 12 / 18 mths it’s either reduced or becomes really expensive and a massive pain to move the contents as due to the nature of large storage allowances you tend to save all kinds of pointless stuff so sorting out what you want to keep and moving it takes ages.

I doubt canon will offer the 115gbs indefinitely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

As said earlier, it's 100gb free data with this offer and there was an original offer of 15gb, so that's 115gb total.
    I think the offer is worth the €35 purely as it's from a huge company like Canon, who are unlikely to try "funny stuff" like, some of those cloud services.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

ED E wrote: »
    Its not unlimited, its 115GB....

Time limited I meant - 115gb as per earlier posts.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

As said earlier, it's 100gb free data with this offer and there was an original offer of 15gb, so that's 115gb total.
    I think the offer is worth the €35 purely as it's from a huge company like Canon, who are unlikely to try "funny stuff" like, some of those cloud services.

I got caught by Microsoft OneDrive a much bigger company than canon. Initial offer of about 30gbs, had my phone backing up to it, then about 12mths later the warnings started about either pay or lose it. In the end it was frozen then they deleted. Took ages to filter through all the stuff that was synced and sorting by what I wanted to keep.

At the end of the day the €35 you paid is for the drive itself, the online storage is a perk / bonus (I don’t see any mention of it on the cs100 order page) on so I strongly believe come 18mths time a restriction / fee will be applied.

I’ll say no more on the topic, just wanted to warn people of the hassle they will face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I got caught by Microsoft OneDrive a much bigger company than canon. Initial offer of about 30gbs, had my phone backing up to it, then about 12mths later the warnings started about either pay or lose it. In the end it was frozen then they deleted. Took ages to filter through all the stuff that was synced and sorting by what I wanted to keep.

At the end of the day the €35 you paid is for the drive itself, the online storage is a perk / bonus (I don’t see any mention of it on the cs100 order page) on so I strongly believe come 18mths time a restriction / fee will be applied.

I’ll say no more on the topic, just wanted to warn people of the hassle they will face

It’s a lifetime allocation. Don’t be scaremongering.

Cloud storage offers can go either way. More than six years back I bought an HP tablet on sale. Sold it soon after, but I got to keep the box.com online storage that came with it. Box made a config error erroneously allocating users of the tablet 50GB, instead of the advertised 5GB, but they did not decrease it even once they realised the error, fair play to them. Later they even doubled that storage to 100GB, while doing the same for the paying users. I've been actively using that excellent cloud service ever since and it would have cost me already well over 300 euro to date if I had to pay for it.
    As for irista, there was that code error they made last year, where for a short time anyone could have used the codes that were solely intended for owners of specific devices and the codes even stacked. So some users ended up with lots of cloud space, but Canon have surely learned from that and it's unlikely to ever repeat.
    So if you are lucky you can get a good value out of such promotions, if you find use for the particular service (mind you irista is not for everyone), but there is absolutely no guarantee that the cloud service won't shut down or change T&C in a few months time, just keep that in mind.

Cloud storage offers can go either way. More than six years back I bought an HP tablet on sale. Sold it soon after, but I got to keep the box.com online storage that came with it. Box made a config error erroneously allocating users of the tablet 50GB, instead of the advertised 5GB, but they did not decrease it even once they realised the error, fair play to them. Later they even doubled that storage to 100GB, while doing the same for the paying users. I've been actively using that excellent cloud service ever since and it would have cost me already well over 300 euro to date if I had to pay for it.
    As for irista, there was that code error they made last year, where for a short time anyone could have used the codes that were solely intended for owners of specific devices and the codes even stacked. So some users ended up with lots of cloud space, but Canon have surely learned from that and it's unlikely to ever repeat.
    So if you are lucky you can get a good value out of such promotions, if you find use for the particular service (mind you irista is not for everyone), but there is absolutely no guarantee that the cloud service won't shut down or change T&C in a few months time, just keep that in mind.
    Of course there is no guarantee that a service will not shut down at some point in the future. My point purely relates to the 100GB storage for purchasers. This is a LIFETIME membership so there will not be any subs imposed 18mths (or whatever) down the line by Canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

what a bargain...

here,, check out this hilariously bad youtube video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Still have mine available. Not sure that my PM's are working. Have it on adverts for €50 but will take €30.Maybe best to contact me there.

what a bargain...

5:09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Really cringey video.

Firstly, thanks to the OP it was posted in good faith.

I actually hoped to refuse delivery but my neighbour collected it! Anyway, it is worse than I expected but with the drive I will take out and cloud storage I might use all is not lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is a strange BA, it's ultimately a good bargain if you mainly want the drive and the cloud storage. 35 quid for a 1TB drive and 100GB of storage that should last a good few years. That is a bargain. It's just hilarious how unbelievably terrible this product actually is. Everything about it is just awful. The promo video is the icing on the cake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

what a bargain...

I actually watched this all the way through, waiting for the punchline. It just feels like an SNL sketch (made me laugh as much as one too...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

My one seems to be working OK, however the power light is flashing red. Anyone got this or any ideas.

dingding wrote: »
    My one seems to be working OK, however the power light is flashing red. Anyone got this or any ideas.

Hold the power button for 10 secs, wait for it to shut down, turn on again. Cleared it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

dodzy wrote: »
    5:09

i bet it is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

ED E wrote: »
    Hold the power button for 10 secs, wait for it to shut down, turn on again. Cleared it for me.

Thanks for this, worked perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

McGaggs wrote: »
    I actually watched this all the way through, waiting for the punchline. It just feels like an SNL sketch (made me laugh as much as one too...).

"Oh, all the time!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Shockingly bad video alright, curious how many units they shifted thanks to that :D

Is it possible to copy/has anyone here copied pictures and videos onto this directly from a USB pen drive? I've tried two 16GB pens, and nothing happened. Pens were detected OK (their LED flickered for a few seconds) but nothing appeared, was expecting to see some change in the Menu, or a popup or something. Have 2 options available, Image Import Status, and Preferences, when going into the Import menu, no drive shows up? :confused:

Does the media need to be on an actual camera before it'll be seen ?

Any info much appreciated, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I posted it back after seeing all the negative reviews here,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

august12 wrote: »

I've yet to receive mine, kept missing UPS but they still seem intent on trying to deliver it even after the 'final attempt'! :confused:

pm1977x wrote:
    I've yet to receive mine, kept missing UPS but they still seem intent on trying to deliver it even after the 'final attempt'!

You can return it free of charge by emailing Canon who will forward a return label to you, details on site you purchased from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

You can return it free of charge by emailing Canon who will forward a return label to you, details on site you purchased from.

Thanks, Canon emailed me the label yesterday, just need to find out when UPS are going to reschedule it - tried 'return to sender' on UPS but it doesn't seem to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Well that was silly. The bargain was for the drive and cloud storage. The people whineing over the device (that does exactly as it was designed to do) were expecting it to do more. If they had of done an ounce of research they would have realised this.

Etnies wrote:
    Well that was silly. The bargain was for the drive and cloud storage. The people whineing over the device (that does exactly as it was designed to do) were expecting it to do more. If they had of done an ounce of research they would have realised this.
    It might be silly to you but not to me, wasn't expecting a slow, noisy machine and according to a lot here, doesn't do what it's supposed to do very well, and the online storage isn't a necessity for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Anyone take the drive out of one yet, wondering is it a glacial wd green style jobbie or a proper drive.

Anyone take the drive out of one yet, wondering is it a glacial wd green style jobbie or a proper drive.

zom done a teardown in post 221. It’s a Western Digital drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Tried it this evening why wont it recognise videos from my phone or movies? Nfc wont work from a samsund s7. Such a pile of dung. Shipping back asap unless someone has a solution on how to c ur vids from phone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

It might be silly to you but not to me, wasn't expecting a slow, noisy machine and according to a lot here, doesn't do what it's supposed to do very well, and the online storage isn't a necessity for me.

I think it does what it’s supposed to do very well. I just don’t know why anybody would want a device that does it.

sugarman wrote: »
    That's pretty much it, something nobody really asked for! I reckon it's decent for someone elderly that's not really computer literate. Once set up, all they have to do it tap their device and select the images they want to copy pretty much hassle free.

I cannot see elderly people not PC literate carrying NFC Canons around with them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement