Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon CS100 1TB WiFi drive €34.99 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 fawltyBas

Thanks to OP, bought it, took HDD out put it in to a case. I now have a cheap 1 TB portable HDD. You can't go wrong for the price, might get another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

I was looking for something like this that i can save videos and pictures from my phone directly does anyone know where to get one? It has to be directly from phone to it so i can watch on tv. This yoke is a piece of sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Could anyone recommend a suitable enclusure?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

MAJJ wrote: »

Thanks

Any cheap 2.5inch SATA->USB enclosure will do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Shockingly bad video alright, curious how many units they shifted thanks to that :D

Is it possible to copy/has anyone here copied pictures and videos onto this directly from a USB pen drive? I've tried two 16GB pens, and nothing happened. Pens were detected OK (their LED flickered for a few seconds) but nothing appeared, was expecting to see some change in the Menu, or a popup or something. Have 2 options available, Image Import Status, and Preferences, when going into the Import menu, no drive shows up? :confused:

Does the media need to be on an actual camera before it'll be seen ?

Any info much appreciated, thank you.

A review posted earlier in the thread states that the USB port is for backing up to, not from. So if true, you can backup your media to a USB drive from this device but you can't copy stuff from a USB drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Thanks

If you're OK with the 4-5 week wait this screwless well designed caddy is good value or a clear version for €7.33. Quite fast and handy to swap out if you've a few drives. Comes with a sturdy 50cm cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks

Keep an eye on this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0126R1BGQ/ its OK for current price of €12.99 but I've seen is discounted a couple of times on amazon to €6.99 which is a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Can anybody recommend a network drive enclosure that this would work with. Maybe one with a few bays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can anybody recommend a network drive enclosure that this would work with. Maybe one with a few bays?

DS416slim would be one option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

sugarman wrote: »
    But its not aimed soley at everyone carrying an NFC Canon! The most basic android phones, tablets and cheap point and shoot digital cameras all have NFC these days.

The likes of my mother for example wouldnt have a clue how to use a computer, but can take snaps on her phone and sort through them in her gallery etc.. She'd find it dead handy to just tap the NFC and select what she wants to copy over.

Similarly, my grandfather. He's ok using a digital camera and brings his memory card to boots to get help printing them on the machine. Once set up and shown how, he'd manage to use the CS100.
    Agreed, but they will not work with the device. NFC on this is restricted to pure canon NFC enabled devices.

Foe example, the NFC capable Sony A7R-II which runs circa €2K with a lens will not work with this device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭go4it

took it last week, and updated to the last firmware ( 2.5.2 ) When touching the S5 android nfc, it redirects you to internal ip of the cs100 station; from there through a interface i could select pictures from the phone , but only one by one, not multi-select or a whole folder ; takes about 2 min till the cs100 decides to transfer the pictures.

Tried with a SD card: could see the green led lit, but no sign of the status : is it copying, is not copying , what's going on?

The fastest way to upload the pics was through PC : just type the lan address ( 192.168.x.x in my case ) and the station web-server page shows up , and is very quick to upload.

After a forced power cut , the station took another ip, 169.x.x.x and that was the tipping point when i decided to look for the torx screwdriver , to take the hdd out and put it in a external enclosure ( torx 10 i think )

Bottom line : for 35 euro i got a 1TB hdd, 1m hdmi cable, 2 AAA duracell batteries. i saw this offer after the 100GB cloud offer was finished ( the power supply is kinda awkward : 7.4v 2 A )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

go4it wrote: »
    Bottom line : for 35 euro i got a 1TB hdd, 1m hdmi cable, 2 AAA duracell batteries. i saw this offer after the 100GB cloud offer was finished ( the power supply is kinda awkward : 7.4v 2 A )
    you got a hdmi cable? Not included with mine....

my bad. no hdmi included .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I haven't opened mine yet.
    So there is not an app you put on android and flick the pictures from your gallery to this device?
    It is more cumbersome than that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Just opened mine last night.

My issue with it is not that it's rubbish (even though it is), but moreso that it is so very nearly genuinely useful. It's got the right I/O (gigabit ethernet, WiFi, NFC) and a decent hdd. If only it implemented (or allowed implementation of) direct file-sharing protocols. It could be a very handy little NAS, with NFC for backing up, and a tv media player output. It has literally all of the hardware, but none of the software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I haven't opened mine yet.
    So there is not an app you put on android and flick the pictures from your gallery to this device?
    It is more cumbersome than that?

Nothing, nadda, zip, zilch, zero, feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Blankety

Schorpio wrote: »
    Just opened mine last night.

My issue with it is not that it's rubbish (even though it is), but moreso that it is so very nearly genuinely useful. It's got the right I/O (gigabit ethernet, WiFi, NFC) and a decent hdd. If only it implemented (or allowed implementation of) direct file-sharing protocols. It could be a very handy little NAS, with NFC for backing up, and a tv media player output. It has literally all of the hardware, but none of the software.

Looks like the crew that were trying to hack it here have given up...
    https://forums.hak5.org/topic/42523-canon-connect-station-cs100/?page=3

Nothing, nadda, zip, zilch, zero, feck all.

Yes there is. Search cs100 in the play store and the app has a picture of the device its pretty simple to use too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Well Studdlys comment is just perfect.
    All I want it for is so the family can all throw their gallery contents on to it - sort of like a local drop box if you will, for those who do not like using cloud services.
    I will look forward to opening it the weekend so

• Advertisement

Well Studdlys comment is just perfect. All I want it for is so the family can all throw their gallery contents on to it - sort of like a local drop box if you will, for those who do not like using cloud services. I will look forward to opening it the weekend so

Thats what we arr using it for. If you can have a hdmi from it to your main tv or any tv you can view all on it too in a slide show if you are into that.

I think most people take photos and then never see them again lol

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Stylesclash07

On iOS the canon connect station app is the one I use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Yes there is. Search cs100 in the play store and the app has a picture of the device its pretty simple to use too

What's the app? I tried the Irista app and the one specifically for the CS100 and neither would let you transfer to it. The CS100 app saw some photos but wouldn't actually let you pick what images you wanted to upload. Android user here.

What's the app? I tried the Irista app and the one specifically for the CS100 and neither would let you transfer to it. The CS100 app saw some photos but wouldn't actually let you pick what images you wanted to upload. Android user here.

Canon connect app. It lets me pick what images to send or you can send all. Works the same for taking images off the drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Works with everything I've tried it with so far anyway. Inc a Oneplus phone, Lenovo tablet and my Nikon DSLR.

Latest update freed this to use for non-Canon cameras etc, before it was Canon only.

Still very slow.

Jeez give it some time! It's only been a few days since the last post with some very decent ground work already done. It's not something that can be done over night or afew days or even a few weeks, it'll be a lengthy process done over months.. a year. I'm looking into myself but it's just one of a dozen projects I'll half look at in whatever spare time I get.. prob similar to those on that forum.

I've cloned drive to another one and tried to boot this way but still getting error 00001 (the same without hard drive).
    Canon support says in case of drive failure - send whole box back and have no clue about recovery via usb or something.

Tom

How did you clone it? Using Clonsilla or the likes? I'd planned to do the same before wiping the supplied drive.

Acronis recovery, dumped all three partitions and then restored onto other drive.

I'm looking at disk under linux now and I thing issue is that 1st partition on original drive starts at 63 sector and on cloned at 2048.

Tom

If I fail to make it work with other drive I will put it on ebay for spares and keep 1Tb hdd for playstaton.

• Advertisement

Cheers Im going to play around with it later in the week, I'll let you know how I get on. I bought it specifically to upgrade the PS4 myself too, so it's no loss if I don't get it going with another drive but I'd like to have a good go before wiping it.

Sugar, I see you have NFC working on non-canon devices ??

You need to upgrade the firmware

Yeah, was gonna do that as soon as I open the box but did not think that the upgrade would open this feature up. Something I suppose, cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Canon connect app. It lets me pick what images to send or you can send all. Works the same for taking images off the drive.

I can't get it to send to the box. Is there some setup that needs to be done?

Cheers Im going to play around with it later in the week, I'll let you know how I get on. I bought it specifically to upgrade the PS4 myself too, so it's no loss if I don't get it going with another drive but I'd like to have a good go before wiping it.

Me again.

Different drive and this time i used DD from linux to copy direct from one drive to another. The same result - code 00001.

I'm wiping original drive and installing in my PS today or tomorrow.

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Hey lads,

Is this a 2.5" or 3.5" drive? Looking at enclosures on amazon. Just going to take the hard drive out after listening to the conversation on this thing.

Cheers,
    Quad

• Advertisement

quad_red wrote: »
    Hey lads,

Is this a 2.5" or 3.5" drive? Looking at enclosures on amazon. Just going to take the hard drive out after listening to the conversation on this thing.

Cheers,
    Quad

2.5"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

2.5" - one of these

McGaggs wrote:
    I can't get it to send to the box. Is there some setup that needs to be done?

No setup required i just installed the app and it worked. Sorry i cant help more than that.

@McGags : if you know the internal ( your LAN ) ip address that the station took it after connecting by cable or wifi, just type it over in your browser and a generic webpage will allow you to upload the phone/pc pictures/videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I sent mine back before it arrived as kept missing UPS, it reached Canon yesterday and I got the money back via Paypal today so nice and quick.

Me again.

Different drive and this time i used DD from linux to copy direct from one drive to another. The same result - code 00001.

I'm wiping original drive and installing in my PS today or tomorrow.

Tom

(Without checking the current drive specs)

Maybe it requires FIPS?

ED E wrote: »
    (Without checking the current drive specs)

Maybe it requires FIPS?

Might be, partitions aren't recognizable by Centos nor Debian.

But encryption is over kill with this product lacking so many of features !

Tom

Might be, partitions aren't recognizable by Centos nor Debian.

But encryption is over kill with this product lacking so many of features !

Tom

Indeed, but the hardware spec is great. Maybe one team in Canon was really on the ball but their partners in Dev not so much.

31aO3CO.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

Price back up to €79 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

I returned mine to Canon yesterday .... Ah well it did look like a great bargain but you can't win then all ☹ï¸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Mike1961 wrote: »
    I returned mine to Canon yesterday .... Ah well it did look like a great bargain but you can't win then all ☹ï¸

I thought it was a decent bargain. Why did you return it? It does exactly as it says and if you didn’t want it for that, you still get a 1tb drive and 100gb of online storage for €35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Mike1961

jakdublin wrote:
    I thought it was a decent bargain. Why did you return it? It does exactly as it says and if you didn’t want it for that, you still get a 1tb drive and 100gb of online storage for €35.

Like lots of other posters, I'd hoped that the drive would be accessible over my home network ... And not just for transferring photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Mike1961 wrote: »
    Like lots of other posters, I'd hoped that the drive would be accessible over my home network ... And not just for transferring photos.

Fair enough. Yeah, I guess I hoped that too but I had it in mind that I’d keep it as a storage drive if that wasn’t the case as there wasn’t anything to indicate that you could. Was just wondering what the mindset of those returning it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

jakdublin wrote: »
    Fair enough. Yeah, I guess I hoped that too but I had it in mind that I’d keep it as a storage drive if that wasn’t the case as there wasn’t anything to indicate that you could. Was just wondering what the mindset of those returning it was.

I saw that it could handle Canon RAW files and expected it to be able to act as a backup. It accepts the CR2 files, but there is no way of exporting them except as jpegs which makes it useless as a backup.

At €35, I always thought I could take the drive out of it. Thanks to those who have recommended enclosures for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

For sale, slightly used:

cMl3s5fl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

For sale, slightly used:

cMl3s5fl.jpg
    So surgical do you have a step by step document☺️Flat head screwdriver and leverage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So surgical do you have a step by step document☺️Flat head screwdriver and leverage?

I decided a few light taps of an axe was the best way to go. It was surprisingly sturdy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

For sale, slightly used:

cMl3s5fl.jpg

If you haven't bin it yet, would you mind to rip off top radiator and have a picture what's underneath ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Can mods mark this as expired?

Advertisement