Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third party insurance - new resident

Options
  • 16-01-2018 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I've just moved over from Australia and will need a car for work. I couldn't get a quote from most insurance and so went to a local broker here in Dublin (Glennons) for a quote. For third party alone they want €1,800 a year (€4,500 before no claims discount) which is approx 5 times what i was paying at home. Is this really what i should be expecting to pay? It seems absolute madness. Has anyone any experience getting a better deal elsewhere? Would swapping to an Irish license improve this or will it not get any better until 12 months of residency?

cheers,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

No NCD or driving history over here. €1800 could be seen as good tbh.

When I moved to the UK, the cheapest quote I got was £1100 and that was with 5 years NCD. I still get a bit of a weighting because I wasn't born here for all the difference that makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try all the places in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Hi,
    I've just moved over from Australia and will need a car for work. I couldn't get a quote from most insurance and so went to a local broker here in Dublin (Glennons) for a quote. For third party alone they want €1,800 a year (€4,500 before no claims discount) which is approx 5 times what i was paying at home. Is this really what i should be expecting to pay? It seems absolute madness. Has anyone any experience getting a better deal elsewhere? Would swapping to an Irish license improve this or will it not get any better until 12 months of residency?

cheers,
    J

They accepted your Australian NCB ?

News to me, I thought you started from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBoyFromAus

biko wrote: »
    Try all the places in .

Cheers, will try some of those directly. I got the ****s yesterday after calling Chill, Allianz, AA, QuoteMe and a couple of others, all of which said their underwriters would not cover me as i have not been a resident for 12 months, hence I was more asking if anyone has experience with insurers that would cater to my situation for a more reasonable price. €1,800 is as much as the cars i have been looking at and just seems completely crazy.

What would the typical expectation for a male over 25, no penalties, no claims or accidents and 5+ years NCB be?

@redcup342 yes, I think it is to do with our reciprocal licensing arrangements etc. As long as i can prove my NCB they will take it into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

OP, what car are you looking to insure? You mentioned you were looking at a car for €1800, what year is it?

• Advertisement

07 Mazda 6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Perhaps look at a smaller car for your first few years?

Yeah ill ask for a quote on a smaller engine, will be annoying though as its not city driving. I will have to out to Shannon and Monaghan a bit

Advertisement