Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offered Credit Note for Faulty item

Options
  • 16-01-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Ok so this is a very grey one - but I think I'm right.

Bought a watch 2yrs ago online from Sports Direct paid €200 by now expired credit card. Watch was faulty so returned it last year, they say they cant refund my credit card as it's no longer in use, so offer me credit note. They have the same watch so I'm happy to use that credit note to get it, on the same order I pick up a few other bits and pay the surplus with my new credit card.

Less than 6 months later the new watch has the same issue and wont work so I return it but they wont give me a refund as it was partly paid for my credit note. They'll only offer me store credit. Useless to me as they dont stock the watch anymore.

Have I a leg to stand on here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I would think the OP is entitled to get a refund back to their credit card of the amount of the transaction that was paid by credit card and the remaining amount by credit note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Quackster wrote: »
    I would think the OP is entitled to get a refund back to their credit card of the amount of the transaction that was paid by credit card and the remaining amount by credit note.

You are correct, but it has to be the card with which the item was paid for originally for obvious reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If you went to scc you'd get partial refund as you've had 2 years 6 months use of the watch.

So full value in credit note is probably reasonable.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    If you went to scc you'd get partial refund as you've had 2 years 6 months use of the watch.

So full value in credit note is probably reasonable.

The OP got a credit note refund for the original watch, not a replacement watch. The purchase of the second watch was an entirely new transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

The OP got a credit note refund for the original watch, not a replacement watch. The purchase of the second watch was an entirely new transaction.

In which case he should be refunded with a credit note of the same value as the previous one and to his credit card for the same value as he paid.
    He can't produce the credit card so he's being offered credit instead.

In which case he should be refunded with a credit note of the same value as the previous one and to his credit card for the same value as he paid.
    He can't produce the credit card so he's being offered credit instead.

The second transaction was funded partially with the credit note and partially with his current credit card. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the partial refund of this second transaction should be back to his current credit card, up to the amount they paid by credit card, and then any balance by credit note.

The second transaction was funded partially with the credit note and partially with his current credit card. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the partial refund of this second transaction should be back to his current credit card, up to the amount they paid by credit card, and then any balance by credit note.

I think the thread has been complicated because the op said he added further items to his purchase which is irrelevant.
    All that matters is how much the watch was in relation to to the credit note.

So if the credit note was for €50 and the watch was €60 its not unreasonable to have a credit note for the full €60.
    Generally a refund is done to the card the customer pays with which the op can't produce.

Op can you clarify the original credit note amount and the amount of the watch please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Op can you clarify the original credit note amount and the amount of the watch please?

The original credit note for for €200. New watch €220 and additional items on (new and still existing) credit card bringing total to €300.
    Offered credit note for watch portion of €220. They dont have any watches in that price range so I cant use the credit note to purchase a similar item.

The new watch is less than six months old so definitely covered under warranty.

xalot wrote: »
    The original credit note for for €200. New watch €220 and additional items on (new and still existing) credit card bringing total to €300.
    Offered credit note for watch portion of €220. They dont have any watches in that price range so I cant use the credit note to purchase a similar item.

The new watch is less than six months old so definitely covered under warranty.

So the difference is €20? I don't see the problem tbh the credit note is going to be for €200 and the credit card for €20. Whats to point in quibbling over where the €20 goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

So the difference is €20? I don't see the problem tbh the credit note is going to be for €200 and the credit card for €20. Whats to point in quibbling over where the €20 goes.

The problem is I cant get my money back for a faulty item and I cant buy a replacement item. I'm stuck with a credit note that I cant use.

I think a valid point is the fact that I had a credit note in the first place because I couldn't get a refund on the card I initially used as it had expired. I really wish I had insisted on a refund for the first faulty watch instead of accepting credit but hindsight is 20/20

It wasn't like a had a gift voucher that I didn't want.

Eh, no. They paid €100 of this transaction by credit card so they should get €100 of the partial refund of this transaction back to their credit card and the balance of €120 to a new credit note.

Eh, no. They paid €100 of this transaction by credit card so they should get €100 of the partial refund of this transaction back to their credit card and the balance of €120 to a new credit note.

There's no point saying eh no to me I'm not the company.
    The original refund for the original watch was for €200.
    It makes perfect sense that this one would be the same.
    Just because op decided to add other items into the sale isn't relevant, they were a credit card purchase and remain a credit card purchase.

Op they've made the offer so if you're unhappy you can refuse it and take it to the small claims court.

There's no point saying eh no to me I'm not the company.
    The original refund for the original watch was for €200.
    It makes perfect sense that this one would be the same.
    Just because op decided to add other items into the sale isn't relevant, they were a credit card purchase and remain a credit card purchase.

Op they've made the offer so if you're unhappy you can refuse it and take it to the small claims court.

The OP received a credit note in full refund of the original transaction. That draws a line under the first transaction and therefore the first transaction has absolutely no bearing on the second transaction.

The second transaction was for a bundle of items including a watch and it was paid for by two methods of payment. Neither method of payment is linked in any way to any specific items in the transaction, they both simply paid a proportion of the transaction as a whole.

When getting a refund/partial-refund of a transaction that was paid for by more than one method of payment, it is perfectly reasonable to expect the refund to firstly be back to the least restrictive method of payment, up to the value of the transaction that was paid by that method of payment, and so on with the most restrictive method of payment being used for any remaining balance due.

Again if the op disagrees with the offer the next step he can take is go to the scc.
    They will decide if one has any bearing on the other arguing here won't make a difference, both points are valid and the retailer has the right to offer what they feel is the best solution, the customer either accepts or declines it.

Advertisement