Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Terror - AMC - US Pace (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

George Takei has joined season 2 as a consultant and series regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

There was a documentary on BBC4 over the last few weeks about the real story behind ships The Terror and The Erebus. Bleak stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Glebee wrote: »
    There was a documentary on BBC4 over the last few weeks about the real story behind ships The Terror and The Erebus. Bleak stuff.

linky plz?
    thanks

seanin4711 wrote: »
    linky plz?
    thanks

Dont have a link to BBC one but there a few on You Tube similar., just happened to come across BBC one on the TV at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzH6dm9ysck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Renewed for a 2nd season.

Season 2 will be set in an WW2 Internment Camp.

An early glimpse.

https://twitter.com/LexiPiperLawson/status/1093311303660187650

The first season was just added to Prime.

Season 2 will be called The Terror: Infamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Seems the only way to watch this is to sign up to prime. I've been waiting for it to come to Sky or Netflix but no such luck. Seems right up my alley

jones wrote: »
    Seems the only way to watch this is to sign up to prime. I've been waiting for it to come to Sky or Netflix but no such luck. Seems right up my alley

Theres always ways to watch these shows without subscriptions...;);)

Season 2 will start on August 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

watching this on prime and loving it. On episode where our captain is just about to try and chat with the Eskimo lady with the doctor. It’s all ominous.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Yesterdays Antiques roadshow had some of the original artifacts from the ship. Fascinating.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Season 2 will start on August 12th.

You can already get a feel for it from some pics.

https://twitter.com/yvrshoots/status/1115309575798837249

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ill definitely give it a go but right now I predict it wont be as good as the first series, the 2 ships stuck in the ice in that location with that cast was sublime, I brought it on a break to Amsterdam and I didnt want to go out at night, I just wanted to stay in and watch more Terror. Im biased towards everything from the age of sail though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Thargor wrote: »
    Ill definitely give it a go but right now I predict it wont be as good as the first series, the 2 ships stuck in the ice in that location with that cast was sublime, I brought it on a break to Amsterdam and I didnt want to go out at night, I just wanted to stay in and watch more Terror. Im biased towards everything from the age of sail though.

Yeah the first season was sensational. Best stand alone story I've watched on TV in years. I'd have loved another season in that environment but knew it was unlikely as the story was pretty much wrapped up. I'm a bit underwhelmed about the set up for the 2nd season but I'll definitely be watching.

Season 1 was such a brilliant stand alone story that its going to be hard to replicate. The settings, characters, time period and especially the tension that was built up over the episodes was absolutely fantastic. I dont think ive ever watched a TV show that portrayed such a feeling of impending doom than The Terror. Anybody who has not watched it still at this stage please do yourself a massive favor and watch it.
    I hope Season 2 is as good but its going to be a tough to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Finished it and loved it. Spoilers a plenty here so don’t read if you haven’t watched.

Was explaining the story to my wife and realized my favorite part of the show was the character developments.

Particularly Crozier , Fitzjames and to a lessor degree Goodsir.

Probably the few redeemable characters from the expedition.

Really found crozier and fitzjames Relationship powerful by the end. “Are we brothers Francis?”, such a beautiful moment with so much horror going on in a group of men all scared for their lives. My favorite part of the series that’s One of my favorite tv friendships ever.

Thinking of Fitzjames as a poncy , unlikable, Kiss arse arrogant fecker at the start and where his story ended is really satisfying.

And Crozier as the flawed alcoholic captain who through great pain came out the other side sand a more honorable man then those who mocked him. Crozier , even as a sick alcoholic is still a better leader then Franklin but his drying out cements his growth, creates an unbreakable bond with Fitzjames and gives the Crew a chance!!. I would of taken Fitzjames and Franklin at the start to represent the weak and shallow leaders we usually get when things are fine and for Crozier and Fitzjames at the end to represent those whose true qualities shine under great adversity.

Even Dr Goodsir sacrifices himself to save men that probably don’t deserve to be save. Think somebody alludes to it on some form. Starts out a starry eyed , shy doctor in the shadows s of the boats main arrogant lead Dr Stanley who also represents the arrogance of the leading authorities.

Really wonderful show.

Infamy trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Just finished S1 and what a ride, hard to explain to people. So I posted this on our Whatsapp group for movie and TV recommendations lol...............

Right. So. The Terror. Jesus Christ where to start..............If you can get through the first 3 or 4 eps then you should enjoy it. It's mental. One of the most mental shows I've ever watched. It's slow. It's character driven. It's hard to understand at times. It's hard to explain. It's about hardship. It's about a crazy polar bears and the madness of men. Not for everyone. But I urge you to give it a try, and if you do, then at the end you better say.....WHAT THE **** DID I JUST WATCH!!!!!

Btw, I did enjoy, just not what I expected. 8/10 would watch again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Give the book a go, you should really enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what I love that is a true story with some obvious pieces of fantasy thrown in but the fact that they were actually out there for that long in the cold beggars belief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why call it _terror_ infamy at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Even after watching the series shortly after it had aired I hadn't known that this was based on real HMS ships' activities, nor that it based on a Dan Simmons book, until I read this thread. The trailer and blurb for the series had been a bit off-putting for me, and it had the same feel of Fortitude (which I gave on 2/3 way through season 1), but coz Jared Harris and Ciaran Hinds were in together I gave it a go. Loved it.
    Not much info on IMDb etc about series 2, but if it's the same director(s), writers etc, really looking forward to it. Looks like an interesting anthology series conceit; adding supernatural twist to real life activites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

why call it _terror_ infamy at all

"December 7th 1941...a day that will live in infamy..."

Tony EH wrote: »
    "December 7th 1941...a day that will live in infamy..."
    _terror_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, the last one was called The Terror, so they want some sort of tie in with it I spose. I reckon they never expected for be making anything further after the original series ended.

Looks like an interesting anthology series conceit; adding supernatural twist to real life activites.

Is this an example of magic(al) realism?

First look trailer from Comic Con.

Trailer

Slow opening episode setting up the story however it is beautifully shot and looks like a bit of money was put into with the sets and costumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Is this series on Amazon prime ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Is this series on Amazon prime ?

not yet, AMC in the states. Quite a different feel to S1 but interesting stuff nonetheless

straight out with the supernatural elements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

S2E1: not overly impressed TBH, found it a bit boring - especially in comparison to S1E1. Still, I'll stick with it for a while yet.

what did chester do to have this ghost chasing him

Two episodes in and it's downright poor so far. Better be a big step up next week or I'm out. Gutted TBH as I loved the first series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Moving ahead far, far too quickly, with little to no time available spent for building any sense of foreboding (other than a few background glimpses of the terror in question).

The second episode's machinations to get primary characters in the same location by the end of the runtime was some of the most derivative TV in recent memory. Awful.
    But, at least it can only go up from that. You would think, anyway.

Not great reviews for it yet here, which is disappointing, as the 1st season shaped up quite nicely, and the premise for season 2 is very promising. I always wait til 5/6 episodes in before starting a series, so I'm a bit wary with the reviews so far; this doesn't seem to have got out of the blocks yet. The reviews so far on RT look impressive enough (similar to season 1):
    91% TOMATOMETER (Critic Ratings: 34) 71% AUDIENCE SCORE (User Ratings: 31)
    Not many for the audience score maybe, and I'd assume many of the critics have seen the whole series, so I suppose there is hope it will get better.

After 3 episodes it's all style over substance for me which is very sad.

very few on screen depictions of japanese internment, is this the one to spend money on https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=japanese-internment

• Advertisement

This season has been absolutely terrible I stuck with it and more fool me only one episode left thankfully.

This season has been absolutely terrible I stuck with it and more fool me only one episode left thankfully.

Stopped watching half-way in to episode 3 last week. Pretty decent production, but so boOoring; I was waiting for it to ignite in some way- but it remained steadfast in its damp squibbiness.
    As it's taking an anthology approach to its underlying conceit, it might be a hit and miss affair; if a third series comes along (maybe present day and then 4th season futuristic, who knows?) the next one, if it gets done, might be worth a look.

Yip. Said I'd had enough after three episodes but bravely tackled number four - turned it off halfway through. Such a pity given the exceptional first series!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Recently finished season 1 and loved it. I find the whole polar exploration era fascinating so I had a feeling I'd enjoy this take on it, and I did. Particularly liked the performance of Jared Harris, but there were several good ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This looks to be starting on RTE 2 on Tuesday at 9.30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I was planning on watching this again on Prime. Nice to see RTE showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭seanin4711

I was planning on watching this again on Prime. Nice to see RTE showing it.

one of my favorite shows!
    brilliant acting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Great show . Listened to the audiobook(masterfully narrated by Dan Simmons) last year. If you thought the show was grim, imagine it ran to 27 hours of unrelenting but gripping misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Starts tonight @ 2130 on RTE2, one of the best shows of recent years (S1 that is, S2 was unwatchable it was so boring)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Thargor wrote: »
    Starts tonight @ 2130 on RTE2, one of the best shows of recent years (S1 that is, S2 was unwatchable it was so boring)

Season 2 was absolute rubbish. The first is a classic.

Advertisement