Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Terror - AMC - US Pace (***Spoilers***)

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Birneybau wrote: »
    Season 2 was absolute rubbish. The first is a classic.
    I finished it but I wished I hadn't. Unlike the first season, S2's pacing is woeful - it really drags and it's the same thing every episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yeah, Season 1 up there with the best TV in the last decade. Season 2 I gave up after 4/5 episodes - has there even been such a drop in quality of a show so quickly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Have not even tried to watch S2 given the bad reviews. S1 is a classic. Its the sense of dread and impending doom that it gives out that makes it so bloody brilliant. A brilliant mixture of setting and cast also help. S1 - 10/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

Yeah, Season 1 up there with the best TV in the last decade. Season 2 I gave up after 4/5 episodes - has there even been such a drop in quality of a show so quickly?

Ahem...I give you True Detective season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

E mac wrote: »

Am I the only one who liked S2 of True Detective?:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Glebee wrote: »
    Am I the only one who liked S2 of True Detective?:o

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just finished it tonight, the first season, that is. Christ it's bleak. Just non stop hardship.

I liked it a lot. Dragged a bit in the middle maybe but overall I couldn't take my eyes off it. Harris is just class in it.

I used to think The Revenant movie was top of the bleak list but this kicks that off the top easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Disappointed to hear that, I'm in the middle of S1 on RTE and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

yeah don't bother I think I gave up after 3 or 4 episodes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Just finished season 1 this evening. I had never heard of it until RTE bought it, and was sceptical giving it a go as neither historical nor "supernatural" is really my thing. Well, without doubt that was the best television I have watched in the last decade. I have already watched every episode twice just to catch every amazing detail. Absolutely gripping and not at all what I expected in terms of its incredible character focus. Superb performances from several too. What an impact, I actually feel shook after it. I find myself going down rabbit holes of info and discussion about the real expedition now.

For anyone who has read the book - would you recommend it even after watching the show? I always read a book first before seeing it on film, but I did not realise this was a book until too late. I understand there are differences from the series, but do you think it will still be a worthwhile read already knowing the whole premise re
    Hickey
    etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just finished season 1 this evening. I had never heard of it until RTE bought it, and was sceptical giving it a go as neither historical nor "supernatural" is really my thing. Well, without doubt that was the best television I have watched in the last decade. I have already watched every episode twice just to catch every amazing detail. Absolutely gripping and not at all what I expected in terms of its incredible character focus. Superb performances from several too. What an impact, I actually feel shook after it. I find myself going down rabbit holes of info and discussion about the real expedition now.

For anyone who has read the book - would you recommend it even after watching the show? I always read a book first before seeing it on film, but I did not realise this was a book until too late. I understand there are differences from the series, but do you think it will still be a worthwhile read already knowing the whole premise re
    Hickey
    etc?

yes, i really enjoyed it after seeing the series first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Starts at 9 pm on BBC 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I never watch things twice but this is my favourite thing of the past few years. Watching now and even the intro is amazing and such a great cast.
    I gave up on S2 after 2 episodes, it was so bad I couldn't believe it had anything to do with the first series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Iguarantee

E mac wrote: »

Man that season of true detective was so bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

Jared Harris’s role in this is very similar to his role in Chernobyl. Excellent actor and loving this.

does anyone know when/if they are showing this in Ireland? Some Irish music stuff on now instead of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

does anyone know when/if they are showing this in Ireland? Some Irish music stuff on now instead of it.

S1 you mean is it?

If so its already been aired on RTE2

No it had been on every wednesday at 9pm on BBC1 northern ireland, but looks like it's on tomorrow night instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

Episode 4 BBC2 tomorrow night. Not on tonight because of Paddy’s day maybe.

I don't get it though, it's on in my house on BBC Northern Ireland but not for my Ma in her house, she had been watching it too. The BBC NI I get from Eir seems to differ sometimes to her one, just little things like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

No it had been on every wednesday at 9pm on BBC1 northern ireland, but looks like it's on tomorrow night instead
    There were double episodes on Tuesday nights on RTÉ2, started around mid to late January this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I love Season 1 - it is fantastic in everything from story and acting to the sets and costumes. And the constant dread is brilliant.

I’m on episode 7 of Infamy - and it has been just so disappointing. Great costumes and sets and some wonderful supporting actors but it isn’t remotely scary (not even a bit creepy), and Chester is just so damn unlikeable - a complete and utter a***hole in every way and not in a way that makes him interesting. He is just an a***hole.

And who had the brilliant idea to end episode 5 that way and not show us or tell what actually happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Chester is the worst character on TV in years.

All well and good having a “flawed hero” but they have to have at least one redeeming quality.

Chester has none. Henry pretty much points this all to him. He is unbelievably selfish, ungrateful and a useless. Brings misery on Liz instead of staying away from her, turns on the people who raised him . And even the writers think so because they have Henry, despite the shotgun blast to the stomach and the gaping wound in his back manages to be able to use the sutras on the grave while Chester with a less serious leg injury can’t even keep Yuko from the baby or move without help from Lux (who has just had a baby and been through a traumatic journey of miles).

And the yurei possessions are wildly inconsistent - she was already witnessed speaking Spanish so why was she able to fool anyone as the priest? And why were some of the possessed people able to move normally while others walked with twisted legs?

Very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I definitely recommend the book. The overall story is more or less the same, I think they held back a bit due to budgetary reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Returning for a 3rd season

The Terror: Devil in Silver

The Terror: Devil in Silver tells the story of Pepper, a working-class moving man who, through a combination of bad luck and a bad temper, finds himself wrongfully committed to New Hyde Psychiatric Hospital – an institution filled with the people society would rather forget. There, he must contend with patients who work against him, doctors who harbor grim secrets and perhaps even the very devil himself. As Pepper navigates a hellscape where nothing is as it seems, he finds that the only path to freedom is to face down the entity that thrives on the suffering within New Hyde’s walls. But doing so might prove that the worst demons of all live inside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Surprising, given the reception season 2 had, but if they can get close to the first season it will be worth a watch.

Advertisement