Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Was that ship still under construction looks very hollow?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Seriously the ship has been pointed out is not for people looking for a cruise with fancy facilities. It gets people who need a vehicle and want to avoid driving through France into Santander.

For the poster with the van doing a booze run with a sense of adventure of the motorhome with dogs it's ideal.

Anyone going on this should do their research, get a decent book, download films on tablet and pack some ham sandwiches + other food.

Everyone else get the plane and shut up.
    Agree up to a point but as the Oscar Wilde and Pont Aven (and presumably the WB Yeates) show, it is possible to combine the need to bring a vehicle with a fair degree of comfort.

It isn't unreasonable to speculate if the new Cork-Santander run had a vessel of similar quality would it be more attractive to those travelling out of choice rather than necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

The only negative seems to be coming from people on this site. It is the exact same as the Epsilon which Irish Ferries have been using on their Dublin -Cherbourg route. I did'nt hear anyone complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

I think it might have been said or alluded to at some point earlier in the debate, I am thinking that the company are testing the market with the ship they propose to do the route with especially with regard to the freight market. If all goes well for two or three seasons then I think they might put a more comfortable vessel on the route. To be quite honest I wouldn't expect them to go out and charter or buy a top class vessel and then find that there isn't a market for the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How bumpy is the ride likely to be? Obviously weather dependent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

I think it might have been said or alluded to at some point earlier in the debate, I am thinking that the company are testing the market with the ship they propose to do the route with especially with regard to the freight market. If all goes well for two or three seasons then I think they might put a more comfortable vessel on the route. To be quite honest I wouldn't expect them to go out and charter or buy a top class vessel and then find that there isn't a market for the service.

Hopefully it will be a success. It would be fantastic to see Ringaskiddy making a comeback as a ferry port. We might even see one or two competitors restarting one of the routes to Le Harve, St Malo, or Cherbourg.

How bumpy is the ride likely to be? Obviously weather dependent
    It will be bumpy if there is a storm, it there is'nt it will be calm. I can remember getting the St Patrick from Ringaskiddy to Le Havre in a storm, the ship left at 17.30, got into Le Havre at midnight the following day, so its not just the Bay of Biscay thats bumpy. There is a lot of scaremongering going on about this ship as well as some downright stupid comments.

roundymac wrote: »
    It will be bumpy if there is a storm, it there is'nt it will be calm. I can remember getting the St Patrick from Ringaskiddy to Le Havre in a storm, the ship left at 17.30, got into Le Havre at midnight the following day, so its not just the Bay of Biscay thats bumpy. There is a lot of scaremongering going on about this ship as well as some downright stupid comments.

Do you work on the boat or something? Any more info or pics of it? I am really interested but there's not a whole lot of info available on it b sides "no frills"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The only negative seems to be coming from people on this site. It is the exact same as the Epsilon which Irish Ferries have been using on their Dublin -Cherbourg route. I did'nt hear anyone complaining about it.
    Dublin - Cherbourg is about 18 hours. Rosslare-Cherbourg slightly less. Cork-Santander is showing 26 hours on one sailing and 33 hours on another.

I haven't used the Epsilon but I have used the Stena ship to Cherbourg which is quite similar. 18 hours with one overnight on those ships feels long; 33 hours with two overnights is going to feel a lot longer.

I'm delighted there is a direct ferry to Spain but I wish it was a bigger boat. What's your problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Hopefully it will be a success. It would be fantastic to see Ringaskiddy making a comeback as a ferry port. We might even see one or two competitors restarting one of the routes to Le Harve, St Malo, or Cherbourg.

Plus that ship which was christened last week and will be sailing direct from Dublin to Belgium or Holland I think.
    This brexit lark might just open up a few more routes for people who like bringing their own vehicles over to the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Plus that ship which was christened last week and will be sailing direct from Dublin to Belgium or Holland I think.
    This brexit lark might just open up a few more routes for people who like bringing their own vehicles over to the continent.

Will that be taking regular passengers also? I thought it was freight only. Would be an interesting sailing with families.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Will that be taking regular passengers also? I thought it was freight only. Would be an interesting sailing with families.

Freight only initially but I'm sure a demand might see a service provided.

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtqtrJpQdTs
    This is a video of the Epsilon which is a near sister of the Connemara.

Freight only.

Do you work on the boat or something? Any more info or pics of it? I am really interested but there's not a whole lot of info available on it b sides "no frills"
    No I don't but if you search the net you will find info on similer ships operated by Irish ferries and Stena lines. I'm having problems getting links to work so your on your own I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Holiers

So has anyone taken the trip yet? I’d be very interested in how you got on.

Holiers wrote: »
    So has anyone taken the trip yet? I’d be very interested in how you got on.
    It has'nt started yet. 9/05 is when it's supposed to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

I'm surprised it hasn't made the news here but headline news in Santander today was the cancelling of tomorrow's inaugural ferry to Cork. For the second time!
    http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/cantabria/viaje-inaugural-ferri-20180505221153-ntvo.html

I'm surprised it hasn't made the news here but headline news in Santander today was the cancelling of tomorrow's inaugural ferry to Cork. For the second time!
    http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/cantabria/viaje-inaugural-ferri-20180505221153-ntvo.html
    Any chance you'd translate for us.Just went to their twitter page, for "operational reasons". What a load of ****e.

I'm begining to doubt some of these reports, if you check AIS you will her at sea heading for Cork, she is comeing up under her old name "Asterion" registered in Cyprus.

• Advertisement

I'm begining to doubt some of these reports, if you check AIS you will her at sea heading for Cork, she is comeing up under her old name "Asterion" registered in Cyprus.

Connemara is on its way from Santander to cork at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Connemara is on its way from Santander to cork at the moment?

But does it have passengers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

There’s something very fishy about this, wonder if booking are enough to make it viable¿

bogman wrote: »
    There’s something very fishy about this, wonder if booking are enough to make it viable¿
    No there is nothing fishy about. The ship is registered outside of the EU, therefore it must be inspected by the Dept of the Marine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Went to have it a look at it today,
    as I said before, She ain't big.

But it serves a purpose (just not mine).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Went to have it a look at it today,
    as I said before, She ain't big.

But it serves a purpose (just not mine).

To me it is a typical truck ferry, to be fair to Brittany Ferries, they only ever called this basic.
    I hope it works out for them, there must be plenty of Irish trucks transiting across UK and France to get to Spain especially those operating from the ports in West Cork.
    As a non trucker, it would not bother me, perhaps my expectations are not great or maybe I am old fashioned.

Advertisement