Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

kub wrote: »
    To me it is a typical truck ferry, to be fair to Brittany Ferries, they only ever called this basic.
    I hope it works out for them, there must be plenty of Irish trucks transiting across UK and France to get to Spain especially those operating from the ports in West Cork.
    As a non trucker, it would not bother me, perhaps my expectations are not great or maybe I am old fashioned.

People are hoping for it to be some kind of cruise. It has beds a bar and a resteraunt, what more would you need? The trip wouldn't be too long if you can spend 9 or 10 hours of it asleep,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The Connemara is leaving tonight at 10pm for Roscoff.Will be back on Wednesday and Friday for Santander.Apparently there will be a lot of Leinster fans heading over on Wednesday for the rugby final in Bilbao on Saturday.

I hope this route works out for them.We need the Spanish wanting to come here as well for it to work.No doubt plenty Irish people will make use of it.With the Roscoff route it’s always fairly busy as the people are from all over mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

People are hoping for it to be some kind of cruise. It has beds a bar and a resteraunt, what more would you need? The trip wouldn't be too long if you can spend 9 or 10 hours of it asleep,

What more would you need is right but the way some posters on this thread have portrayed its a cruise liner they would only be satisfied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The Connemara is leaving tonight at 10pm for Roscoff.Will be back on Wednesday and Friday for Santander.Apparently there will be a lot of Leinster fans heading over on Wednesday for the rugby final in Bilbao on Saturday.

So it came all the way here from Santander and is off to Roscoff in 30 minutes.
    Anyone know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

So it came all the way here from Santander and is off to Roscoff in 30 minutes.
    Anyone know why?

Post 299

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

What more would you need is right but the way some posters on this thread have portrayed its a cruise liner they would only be satisfied with.
    That they would prefer.

To me it is a typical truck ferry, to be fair to Brittany Ferries, they only ever called this basic.
    I hope it works out for them, there must be plenty of Irish trucks transiting across UK and France to get to Spain especially those operating from the ports in West Cork.
    As a non trucker, it would not bother me, perhaps my expectations are not great or maybe I am old fashioned.

It will get you there fed and rested and for many of us that will be enough. For families with children to entertain it will be tougher and the social spaces are going to get crowded and might be a bit claustrophobic.

I've used the similar vessel operated by Stena on the shorter crossing from Cherbourg a few times and time does drag (and I had no kids in tow.)

So probably grand (or at least tolerable) for solo adults, couples or a bunch of mates.

Less attractive for families.

First Up wrote: »
    It will get you there fed and rested and for many of us that will be enough. For families with children to entertain it will be tougher and the social spaces are going to get crowded and might be a bit claustrophobic.

I've used the similar vessel operated by Stena on the shorter crossing from Cherbourg a few times and time does drag (and I had no kids in tow.)

So probably grand (or at least tolerable) for solo adults, couples or a bunch of mates.

Less attractive for families.

I've 2 small ones myself. They spend as long on the couch watching TV and tablet during dirty winter days.

I've 2 small ones myself. They spend as long on the couch watching TV and tablet during dirty winter days.

33 hours?

33 hours?

26 I thought? Be asleep for 9 or 10 so really 15 or 16 hours to entertain them.

• Advertisement

Two sailings a week. One is 26 hours; the other 33. Better check which is which!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

Two smallies and having access to a ton of toys and not dragging stroller, toys, changing bag and so on through security makes it far more appealing. Depends also on the weather and if you can use a sun deck.

Harika wrote: »
    Two smallies and having access to a ton of toys and not dragging stroller, toys, changing bag and so on through security makes it far more appealing. Depends also on the weather and if you can use a sun deck.

I'm with you on the appeal of car travel versus flying but I'm pretty sure there isn't a sun deck on the Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

I'm with you on the appeal of car travel versus flying but I'm pretty sure there isn't a sun deck on the Connemara.

Too bad, maybe enough space to run around and not being afraid that they drop of the boat.

Harika wrote: »
    Too bad, maybe enough space to run around and not being afraid that they drop of the boat.

All indoors I think.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭hometruths

We're waiting to see what the firsthand reports are before booking but are very tempted by this route.

We travel to Southern Spain every year by car to visit wife's family, and whichever way you do it is a tough journey with two young kids. Flying is not really an option as we are generally there for 4 weeks+ and need a mountain of clobber for the kids.

Currently we prefer to go Dublin-Holyhead then Portsmouth-Bilbao but its an expensive option, and the drive through England is a pain. We've also done Rosslare-Cherbourg but the drive through France is a killer.

The ferries on the above routes are like mini cruise ships, and time passes quite pleasantly but the driving is hateful.

So for us the question is being stuck in a ropey ferry for 26 hours better than an extra two days driving. Personally I think I'd prefer the ferry.

schmittel wrote: »
    We're waiting to see what the firsthand reports are before booking but are very tempted by this route.

We travel to Southern Spain every year by car to visit wife's family, and whichever way you do it is a tough journey with two young kids. Flying is not really an option as we are generally there for 4 weeks+ and need a mountain of clobber for the kids.

Currently we prefer to go Dublin-Holyhead then Portsmouth-Bilbao but its an expensive option, and the drive through England is a pain. We've also done Rosslare-Cherbourg but the drive through France is a killer.

The ferries on the above routes are like mini cruise ships, and time passes quite pleasantly but the driving is hateful.

So for us the question is being stuck in a ropey ferry for 26 hours better than an extra two days driving. Personally I think I'd prefer the ferry.
    I think you should definitely try it. Cutting out the drives through France and UK (which I think is the worst) has to be tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

Shame if the ship has no passenger acesesible outdoor space at all.

I’m not looking for a cruise ship experience but a place to sit outside for a while.

embraer170 wrote: »
    Shame if the ship has no passenger acesesible outdoor space at all.

I’m not looking for a cruise ship experience but a place to sit outside for a while.

It has an outside balcony type thing I think. Basically a small smoking area no seats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

All indoors I think.
    There is an outside deck, never very large but it is there all the same. Why is the same type of ship successful for Stena (ex Rosslare) and Epsilon (ex Dublin) but will not work out of Cork? If you don't like it go take the 120km drive to Rosslare, I in the meantime will take the 5 minute drive to Ringaskiddy.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

roundymac wrote: »
    There is an outside deck, never very large but it is there all the same. Why is the same type of ship successful for Stena (ex Rosslare) and Epsilon (ex Dublin) but will not work out of Cork? If you don't like it go take the 120km drive to Rosslare, I in the meantime will take the 5 minute drive to Ringaskiddy.:p

It's not the port, but to answer your question (for me anyway).

Dublin to France is 20 hours, i.e. one night sleeping.
    Cork to Bilbao is 36 hours , ie. two nights and one whole day. (almost twice the time). It is also going through the Bay of Biscay -which can be pretty hairy.

To draw an analogy, I am prepared to drive from Cork to Dublin in a 09 Yaris, but going from Kenmare to Belfast would not be as much fun.

I'm not saying it will not work, of course it will work, it's more a question of how much discomfort I am prepared to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we were on the Oscar Wilde a couple years ago when it was delayed in Cherbourg because of a technical fault, so it didn't depart until 4am and we ended up spending the whole day on the damn thing. Seriously tedious, and that's despite it being a nice day on a boat with a sun deck and lots of facilities. There's only so much you can read (and I couldn't ever get drunk as I had to drive off it in the evening).

Cork to Bilbao is 36 hours , ie. two nights and one whole day. (almost twice the time). It is also going through the Bay of Biscay -which can be pretty hairy.

To draw an analogy, I am prepared to drive from Cork to Dublin in a 09 Yaris, but going from Kenmare to Belfast would not be as much fun.

I'm not saying it will not work, of course it will work, it's more a question of how much discomfort I am prepared to put up with.

What the hell are you on about.Its a 26 hour journey and one overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

What the hell are you on about.Its a 26 hour journey and one overnight.
    I'd suggest you read the thread, or better yet, have a look at Brittany ferries website (that's what the hell I'm on about)
    (I've just checked it again and in fairness , Friday's is a two nighter, but Wednesdays is one night.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

loyatemu wrote: »
    we were on the Oscar Wilde a couple years ago when it was delayed in Cherbourg because of a technical fault, so it didn't depart until 4am and we ended up spending the whole day on the damn thing. Seriously tedious, and that's despite it being a nice day on a boat with a sun deck and lots of facilities. There's only so much you can read (and I couldn't ever get drunk as I had to drive off it in the evening).
    I suggest you fly so,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

It depends on your destination though, it's at least a days drive from north France down to Spain, if arriving in Spain in the morning means that you are at your destination that evening /afternoon then you are there faster and could have driven 1500 kilometres less

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

roundymac wrote: »
    I suggest you fly so,

I'm not planning on getting this boat, I'm just providing my experience - the ferry to France is fine, but largely because you're asleep for half the journey. Longer journey, more daytime sailing, (much) smaller boat - worth bearing in mind for anyone considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think anyone considering this option knows the pitfalls and pretty much all the trappings of such a journey.

I cant imagine anybody booking this blind thinking its going to be a cruise ship style crossing.

It will certainly suit a small amount of peoples needs more than it will suit the majority of peoples needs.

I hope it is a success, anything that offers extra links to the continent, especially Spain, without going through Britain, should be lauded.

It’s due in to Santander around 3pm today so we might see a review tonight by someone.Weather conditions were fairly rough when they were leaving port yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Advertisement