Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Dublin Mum wrote:
    Yes unless someone was planning a (motor)cycling trip and bringing their own tent, it would make far more sense to fly as it would be significantly cheaper.

And a lot faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Taking this ferry in 3 weeks time for a month's holiday in southern Spain, would never have been an option with car hire, dog kennels etc. Anyone know the pet situation with dogs, with regards the exercise area etc?

calistro wrote:
    Taking this ferry in 3 weeks time for a month's holiday in southern Spain, would never have been an option with car hire, dog kennels etc. Anyone know the pet situation with dogs, with regards the exercise area etc?

Did you look at the website? (You really should).

First Up wrote: »
    Did you look at the website? (You really should).

I have indeed and spoke with them on the phone, just looking for some actual experiences.

calistro wrote:
    I have indeed and spoke with them on the phone, just looking for some actual experiences.

Did they talk about an exercise area for dogs?

• Advertisement

Did they talk about an exercise area for dogs?

Yep, said there was an exercise but not very big. More long than wide.

calistro wrote:
    Yep, said there was an exercise but not very big. More long than wide.

Interesting. The website mentions dog kennels (and cats can stay in cars) but nothing about an exercise area.

Interesting. The website mentions dog kennels (and cats can stay in cars) but nothing about an exercise area.

Thought it said the opposite, no kennels as pets stay in the cabins but there is an exercise area, just looked again, it says 20m long area, must have missed that the first time I looked. That will do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Finright

Two of us taking the ferry Cork to Santander in mid September with two seats available in our van, if anyone fancies jumping in and splitting the cost! Thinking the 11th or 13th September...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Finright wrote: »
    Two of us taking the ferry Cork to Santander in mid September with two seats available in our van, if anyone fancies jumping in and splitting the cost! Thinking the 11th or 13th September...

Perhaps put up the cost for the van and how much you would expect your passengers to contribute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Can you actually do that though?. I thought everyone has to stay in a cabin/room for the journey. Did you book two extra beds for the 26 hour journey?

Hi Rhys, yes, you have to book a 4 person cabin whether you want it or not, and even if there is only two of you...

Yep, good idea Beer, I should have thought of that!

The cheapest one I can find is 450 euros, all in, for van and 4 passengers, with mandatory 4 person cabin.

So I guess say we divide the price by 5, including the van as one share, would make 90 per head for the two extra passengers.

I think that's fair, or should I say fare ;) , for everyone

Can you actually do that though?. I thought everyone has to stay in a cabin/room for the journey. Did you book two extra beds for the 26 hour journey?

Also, we haven't booked yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Makings of a road film in this. Little Miss Sunshine 2.

calistro wrote: »
    Thought it said the opposite, no kennels as pets stay in the cabins but there is an exercise area, just looked again, it says 20m long area, must have missed that the first time I looked. That will do fine.

Just back on Friday after a fairly rough crossing, in comparison with the outward sailing which was smooth and was sitting out with the dogs doing a bit of whale spotting in the sun.
    Just to confirm the dog exercise area is the width of the ship but only about a meter wide, pets stay in the cabin with you. There is nowhere to sit in this area so we bought 2 camping chairs for the return journey which worked out great until the swell go too big!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FerryToSpain

Hi, not sure if this is the place to put this but is anyone taking the car Cork to Sandander at the end of October this year and looking for another passenger, Friday 25th or Wednesday 29th?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Hi, not sure if this is the place to put this but is anyone taking the car Cork to Sandander at the end of October this year and looking for another passenger, Friday 25th or Wednesday 29th?

If you can stall until the 11th FinRight was looking for people further back the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Seems that a ferry is being added from Cork to Vigo from 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

snotboogie wrote: »
    Seems that a ferry is being added from Cork to Vigo from 2020

Where did you read that? Great if it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Excellent news. Some cargo crossings should not be long to follow if brexit goes the way its looking, you would think

bingo9999 wrote:
    Excellent news. Some cargo crossings should not be long to follow if brexit goes the way its looking, you would think

It will be mostly for trucks - only carries 150 passengers. Also calls to Plymouth so a long enough trip.

But nice to see and we should get more as the landbridge chokes with traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

This was announced last week. Just hope too many Ferries won't spoil the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Great news and a nice bit of competition for Brittany. Good to have choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭positron

Received email from Brittany Ferries that from 28th Feb 2020 on Cork-Santander sailing is being replaced by Rosslare-Bilbao.
    From the 28th February 2020 we are moving our scheduled sailings from Cork to Santander to the ports of Rosslare and Bilbao. Additionally our midweek économie sailing from Cork to Roscoff will now operate from Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

positron wrote: »
    Received email from Brittany Ferries that from 28th Feb 2020 on Cork-Santander sailing is being replaced by Rosslare-Bilbao.

These details have also been announced by local media.

Only Brittany Ferries Cork to Roscoff weekly service on Saturdays will continue from March to October 2020 from Ringaskiddy Ferryport.

Not very positive news for the Port of Cork going forward now that the N25 New Ross Bypass was due to officially open to traffic from 12noon on Thursday 30th January which is expected to cut peak journey times by 30 minutes as this may favour Rosslare over Cork!

Sources:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0129/1111647-n25-bypass/

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Major-Cork-ferry-route-cancelled-4055dc59-d23f-404a-bc04-3cc3ab6f0f0b-ds

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-loses-out-as-ferry-firm-moves-spain-route-to-rosslare-978456.html

https://www.96fm.ie/news/96fm-news-and-sport/brittany-ferries-to-withdraw-cork-santander-service/

http://www.redfm.ie/news/cork/cork-loses-out-to-rosslare-as-brittany-ferries-moves-its-departure-port-for-its-ireland-spain-route/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

positron wrote: »

That's interesting. Anyone know what the journey time is/will be?

Bilbao to La Reserve is about a 3 hour drive which would save 7 hours of the normally 10 hours it takes from either Roscoff or Cherbourg to La Reserve for me.

I'd happily spend an extra 8-10 hours on a ferry if it meant 7 hours less on the road.

54and56 wrote:

Cork - Santander is/was 26 hours for one sailing and 33 for the other. (Quite a difference) Somewhere in that range I'd expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

54and56 wrote: »

Bilbao to La Reserve is about a 3 hour drive which would save 7 hours of the normally 10 hours it takes from either Roscoff or Cherbourg to La Reserve for me.

I'd happily spend an extra 8-10 hours on a ferry if it meant 7 hours less on the road.

According to the Brittany Ferries freight website the average crossing time is X 26 Hours
    Some departure and arrival times may vary up to 1 hour due to tidal conditions.
    Please be aware that this schedule is subject to change.
    2 departures per week ex-Rosslare
    2 departures per week ex-Bilbao
    Departure/Arrival dates & times not yet published
    Timetable coming soon...

Source:
    https://www.brittanyferriesfreight.co.uk/article/71676/bilbao-to-rosslare

Advertisement