Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

A day away from civilisation with nothing to do sounds like the best start to a holiday for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

And opportunities for dolphin spotting, and even whales if really really lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

it will last about 6 months before it will be pulled, there won't be the demand with a small population for a ferry like this, 

don't know what the price is but portsmouth to santader return with a cabin and car is close on 500 quid return give or take, can't see to many people paying that money.

With the uk the population is big so the demand will always be there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I hate flying. I’d pay it no bothers to get to Spain. I hope you’re wrong but I suspect you’re right regarding demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

My wife and I plan to do this in the late summer with our newborn to visit the in laws in Salamanca. Couldn't have worked out better tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

26 hours? I'd be in Australia on a plane in that time.

Fcuk that!
    Could you bring home a great tasting wine for a euro a bottle ?

gustafo wrote: »
    it will last about 6 months before it will be pulled, there won't be the demand with a small population for a ferry like this, 

don't know what the price is but portsmouth to santader return with a cabin and car is close on 500 quid return give or take, can't see to many people paying that money.

I priced it for 1200gbp return with a cabin

The way I see it is flights for 5 cost 1300 to Bilbao in June , car hire for three weeks is about 700.

The ferry will be about 1200 and I can bring back about 200 bottles of wine for about 200 Euro so it’ll pay for itself.

This is Aldi in San Sebasti if you go to the wine region you get better stuff for similar prices 439226.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

As someone who works in international logistics I guarantee you it will be successful from the freight point of view. Lots of weekly demand for Spain/Ireland/Spain and truck drivers can fit a full weekly 24hr break in on the boat whie using zero fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

sdanseo wrote: »
    As someone who works in international logistics I guarantee you it will be successful from the freight point of view. Lots of weekly demand for Spain/Ireland/Spain and truck drivers can fit a full weekly 24hr break in on the boat whie using zero fuel.

Is there any need for the drivers to go on the ferry?.The can put the trailers on and get the Spanish lads to collect on the other side.I know they currently do this with some trailers going to France.

• Advertisement

500 quid ? Sure that's cheaper than hiring s car over there . if you have kidsover two they are full price flights so the ferry and its endless baggage allowance masked perfect sense

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

That's not expensive at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

ted1 wrote: »
    Could you bring home a great tasting wine for a euro a bottle ?

Not really into wine so, meh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

Hopefully they upgrade the ship if there's demand. I'm not sure that that economy setup would be too pleasant.

26+ hours on the Pont Aven would be fine, even relaxing. The description of their economy service sounds a bit grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Is there any need for the drivers to go on the ferry?.The can put the trailers on and get the Spanish lads to collect on the other side.I know they currently do this with some trailers going to France.

Correct, drop trailers will probably account for 80-90% of the freight space. This is mostly the case for the Dublin/Rosslare to France routes at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

500 quid ? Sure that's cheaper than hiring s car over there . if you have kidsover two they are full price flights so the ferry and its endless baggage allowance masked perfect sense

Try "doyouspain" I have hired cars for as little as 70 euros per week ( just get your own insurance excess 50 euros per year) I normally go to Alicante.
    Cherbourg to Alicante normally costs us 2 days (one night in hotel) 55 euros, fuel 150 euros and tolls 15 euros total 220 euros plus meals etc. I would use it if it was 120 euros dearer than Irish Ferries as Santander to Torreveija is 8 hours. Will replace car with a diesel later on which will alter figures again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Bay of Biscay can be very rough, I wouldnt recommend it to those who get sea sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Where did ye see the journey time mentioned? Just looked at BF web page and press release and can't see it. I thought I heard somewhere the other day that it was 36 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

This is Aldi in San Sebasti if you go to the wine region you get better stuff for similar prices

that is very cheap plonk - is it drinkable?

Where did ye see the journey time mentioned? Just looked at BF web page and press release and can't see it. I thought I heard somewhere the other day that it was 36 hours!

26 hours apparently.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    that is very cheap plonk - is it drinkable?

Its not bad but was just as example, you can get better stuff from local shops that but direct from vineyards , sometimes it doesn't even have labels.

I got married in San Sebastian in 2008 and still keep in touch with our wedding planner over there and ran the marathon there with him in November, he organised a Michelin star restaurant for 14 of us for 46 euro a head with unlimited wine, that shows how cheap good local wine is ( Michelin star places don't serve bad wine)

Hers the 89 cent one. Usually sells for 7 euro before tax
    https://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-354598-0001-hacienda-uvanis-garnacha-navarra-spain

And reviews if the 1.29 reserva. * notice its the 2013 which actually scores the highest
    https://www.vivino.com/wineries/vespral/wines/terra-alta-reserva-9999

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

26 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Dai John wrote: »
    Open your eyes it says 26 hours.

The original post says it, but the article quoted doesn't mention a time, nor does the Brittany Ferries page. I guess that's why they're asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

any word on price?

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

any word on price?

If it's around that money it's not bad for families for a few weeks in spain in the summer - vs flights + car + babyseat (either via plane or renting on). Grab a few bottles on the way back too.

The ferry doesn't look too impressive though. Wonder what facilities they'd have to keep you sane for 26 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Tis all about the freight. You can only book by phone at the moment.

http://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/new-direct-ireland-spain-route

If you are organised, a ferry leaving at 22:30 on Friday night is pretty convenient way to start a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

embraer170 wrote: »
    If you are organised, a ferry leaving at 22:30 on Friday night is pretty convenient way to start a holiday.

The time for that crossing is by far the longest, delayed I presume to be in at 8am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭thomil

Just a quick question. Has anyone else seen the new schedule for the Cork-Roscoff route? Am I seeing things, or is Brittany Ferries deploying Connemara for a second service on that route? If so, that's more good news as far as I'm concerned. Glad to see that the Ringaskiddy ferry terminal is finally seeing more use.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement