Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Yes they are, great news for Ringaskiddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Will hopefully bring down prices too.
    And bring in more tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Just rang them there to get an idea of price, for a 4 berth cabin and jeep, it would be €1342 return - going out June 20th and coming back apx 2 weeks later. By the time you add on fuel, drinks, food, tolls, stopover for the night each way (would be driving to Malaga) it just adds up, so we'd be cheaper to get flights toMalaga and hire a car as we normally do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Amberjack wrote: »
    Just rang them there to get an idea of price, for a 4 berth cabin and jeep, it would be €1342 return - going out June 20th and coming back apx 2 weeks later. By the time you add on fuel, drinks, food, tolls, stopover for the night each way (would be driving to Malaga) it just adds up, so we'd be cheaper to get flights toMalaga and hire a car as we normally do.

Was going to look at doing the same but at that price it's cheaper to fly and rent a car. Prices of flights to Malaga are reasonable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But Malaga is a completely different place. The Basque Country is lovely and very different than Malaga (I’m not putting Malaga down)

• Advertisement

We've family accommodation outside of Malaga, so ultimately that would be our destination

We've family accommodation outside of Malaga, so ultimately that would be our destination
    Some track from the east coast to west coast. Doubt it ever would have been worth your while

It's a good old spin, but it would be a novelty for the kids and if the prices were more competitive, we would look at bringing back wine etc

It's a good old spin, but it would be a novelty for the kids and if the prices were more competitive, we would look at bringing back wine etc
    You’re lucky any car journey over 2hrs and our 8 year old gets car sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

Just got a quote for 2 adults and a cabin with standard car return, leaving Friday June 8th returning Thursday June 21st €943.

Checked ferry to roscoff with a return journey, was coming in around €520. Even with an 11 hour drive and 700 odd miles down to Santander it doesnt make the ferry to Spain, with the two night journey over, a huge amount more appealing to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

dbs103 wrote: »
    Just got a quote for 2 adults and a cabin with standard car return, leaving Friday June 8th returning Thursday June 21st €943.

Checked ferry to roscoff with a return journey, was coming in around €520. Even with an 11 hour drive and 700 odd miles down to Santander it doesnt make the ferry to Spain, with the two night journey over, a huge amount more appealing to me.

Would the cost of petrol to drive 700 miles and take 11 hours not cost around €200.Would you actually save anything?.I personally wouldn’t like that journey.

Are you getting a cabin on the Roscoff sailing ?

Between petrol and tolls it probably would be around €200.

For me though, I'd prefer driving rather than the extra night on the ferry. Coming back, if it's only the one night crossing, then I'd take the ferry alright.

Definitely good to finally have the option of a direct ferry route though.

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you getting a cabin on the Roscoff sailing ?

Yep, Roscoff sailing was with a cabin. A bog standard one with no window though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Between petrol and tolls it probably would be around €200.

For me though, I'd prefer driving rather than the extra night on the ferry. Coming back, if it's only the one night crossing, then I'd take the ferry alright.

Definitely good to finally have the option of a direct ferry route though.

The direct ferry certainly has its attractions and when you include fuel, tolls and probably an overnight en route through France I don't think the costs will be that different. For me it will come down to the facilities on the ferry so I'm interested to hear more about that.

Sailing times come into it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Given i've only ever took the ferry to England, how's that price looking, I really like the idea of going for 10 days, with the kids luggage and the dog?

First Up wrote: »
    The direct ferry certainly has its attractions and when you include fuel, tolls and probably an overnight en route through France I don't think the costs will be that different. For me it will come down to the facilities on the ferry so I'm interested to hear more about that.

I'm of a similar opinion. I'd rather drive than be stuck on a ferry with little to no facilities.

Only time will tell what facilities it will have I suppose.

I'm of a similar opinion. I'd rather drive than be stuck on a ferry with little to no facilities.

Only time will tell what facilities it will have I suppose.

The sailing time matters too. 10pm out of Cork means arriving in Santander at 1 am, which rules out much sleep. Getting up (especially kids) for that isn't going to be much fun, nor is driving off into the night. Its a truckers ship and a truckers schedule.

Have a look at the Irish Ferries site, you will see the Epsilon which is fairly similer to the "Connemara".

The sailing time matters too. 10pm out of Cork means arriving in Santander at 1 am, which rules out much sleep. Getting up (especially kids) for that isn't going to be much fun, nor is driving off into the night. Its a truckers ship and a truckers schedule.
    10pm out of Cork will arrive in Santander at 8am. Times can be got if you take the trouble to look up the website, instead of spouting sh**e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

This is the website with the sailing schedule :

http://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/new-direct-ireland-spain-route

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

First Up wrote:

Well it seems your arrival time is way off, I also note on Brittany Ferries site they have clearly mentioned that the main service to Roscoff is a cruise ferry, this service to Santander / Roscoff is an ' economic' service.
    It should do well out of truckers and that is probably who is is aimed at and I am sure they won't moan like you do, so well.
    No one is forcing you to use the service.

roundymac wrote: »
    10pm out of Cork will arrive in Santander at 8am. Times can be got if you take the trouble to look up the website, instead of spouting sh**e.
    Then the talk of a 26 hour journey is even more sh**e.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Still no car prices?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Still no car prices?
    None published. Phone bookings only - so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

roundymac wrote: »

That would be c.34 hour sailing!!! Feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

vicwatson wrote:
    Still no car prices?

Round €850 return

liam7831 wrote: »
    vicwatson wrote:
    Still no car prices?

Round €850 return
    Someone here quoted €1,450 the other day.

There seems to be wide variation in both fares and sailing times. We've had prices of €850 and €1,450 mentioned. The Wednesday/Thursday crossing from Cork is around 26 hours, while the Friday to Sunday sailing is 34. (The two may be connected.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭thomil

The Wednesday/Thursday crossing from Cork is around 26 hours, while the Friday to Sunday sailing is 34. (The two may be connected.)

Wouldn't be the first time that a ferry operates at a reduced speed to ensure a daytime or at least a morning arrival. That's what I personally experienced back in 2003 on the TT-Line run between Travemünde in Germany and Trelleborg in Sweden. The overnight ferries on that route operate much slower than the daytime ships in order to give passengers at least a chance at a full night's sleep. The same logic seems to drive the Friday to Sunday sailing to Santander.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement