Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

My friend rang them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

thomil wrote: »
    First Up wrote: »
    The Wednesday/Thursday crossing from Cork is around 26 hours, while the Friday to Sunday sailing is 34. (The two may be connected.)

Wouldn't be the first time that a ferry operates at a reduced speed to ensure a daytime or at least a morning arrival. That's what I personally experienced back in 2003 on the TT-Line run between Travemünde in Germany and Trelleborg in Sweden. The overnight ferries on that route operate much slower than the daytime ships in order to give passengers at least a chance at a full night's sleep. The same logic seems to drive the Friday to Sunday sailing to Santander.
    Two full nights' sleep in this case.

kub wrote: »
    Well it seems your arrival time is way off, I also note on Brittany Ferries site they have clearly mentioned that the main service to Roscoff is a cruise ferry, this service to Santander / Roscoff is an ' economic' service.
    It should do well out of truckers and that is probably who is is aimed at and I am sure they won't moan like you do, so well.
    No one is forcing you to use the service.

I am not moaning; just evaluating. I'm happy to consider the new service as an alternative to a ferry to Roscoff or Cherbourg and a drive through France. However having experienced the Oscar Wilde, Pont Aven, Val de Loire and the Stena Horizon, I know the difference between a cruise ferry and a truckers ferry.

I wrote that before the sailing times were published, but after the 10pm departure from Cork was mentioned. Applying the promised 26 hour journey to a 10pm departure gives a 1am arrival. Brittany Ferries are offering a sailing time on Wednesday/Thursday ex Cork at 11am and arriving Santander at 14.30 next day. That is fairly civilised, although if coming from Dublin it means an early start.

The 10pm departure applies to the Friday night sailing and that one has been stretched to 33/34 hours for an 8am arrival on Sunday. So you have two nights and a full day on the boat. Its probably the best way of doing it - using half the time asleep - but its 8 hours longer and means a full day and evening kicking around a ship with relatively few amenities.

I think its a good idea for people to be aware of what they are getting themselves into - or do you think otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

having taken plenty ferry trips to france with a variety of operators over the years, I can't see the appeal of this as a means of getting further south. you're going to be effectively losing 3 days of your holidays on a boat. Its one thing getting the cork-roscoff ferry, and essentially having a lovely evening with entertainment and a good nights sleep before being offloaded at 7am in france, but the idea of entertaining young kids for a whole day at sea and 2 nights would nearly make me consider holidaying at home. I can see how it might appeal to people travelling on motorcycles or bicycles, but for me its a total non runner.

Theres a lot to weigh up, but from personal experience, we're flying dublin - perpignan, and its a 20 minute drive in a hire car to our campsite. we got return flights for 4, with 4 large bags if needed, and prebooked seats for a shade over €1100. Car hire should be about 250ish. Probably more expensive, but you've way more time to spend at your destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Then the talk of a 26 hour journey is even more sh**e.
    One is 26 hours, the other is 34. It gets you into Santander at 8am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

Booked on to the Wednesday sailing end of June, back mid-Aug. 4X4, 4 berth cabin (2 adults + 4 children) - travelling to Valencia. €1,400 . No brainer for us + a 'few' bottles of La Rioja on return. Can't wait!

emfifty wrote: »
    Booked on to the Wednesday sailing end of June, back mid-Aug. 4X4, 4 berth cabin (2 adults + 4 children) - travelling to Valencia. €1,400 . No brainer for us + a 'few' bottles of La Rioja on return. Can't wait!
    Sounds good. You can get the Rioja at source!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I am not moaning; just evaluating. I'm happy to consider the new service as an alternative to a ferry to Roscoff or Cherbourg and a drive through France. However having experienced the Oscar Wilde, Pont Aven, Val de Loire and the Stena Horizon, I know the difference between a cruise ferry and a truckers ferry.

I wrote that before the sailing times were published, but after the 10pm departure from Cork was mentioned. Applying the promised 26 hour journey to a 10pm departure gives a 1am arrival. Brittany Ferries are offering a sailing time on Wednesday/Thursday ex Cork at 11am and arriving Santander at 14.30 next day. That is fairly civilised, although if coming from Dublin it means an early start.

The 10pm departure applies to the Friday night sailing and that one has been stretched to 33/34 hours for an 8am arrival on Sunday. So you have two nights and a full day on the boat. Its probably the best way of doing it - using half the time asleep - but its 8 hours longer and means a full day and evening kicking around a ship with relatively few amenities.

I think its a good idea for people to be aware of what they are getting themselves into - or do you think otherwise?

Sorry for flinging a fact or indeed a spanner in your works, but if you have a good read of this http://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/new-direct-ireland-spain-route
    You will see quite clearly that the ship is also doing a run to Roscoff as well.

Sorry for flinging a fact or indeed a spanner in your works, but if you have a good read of this http://www.brittanyferries.ie/ferry-routes/new-direct-ireland-spain-route
    You will see quite clearly that the ship is also doing a run to Roscoff as well.
    Yes I know. So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Already been mentioned.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Well this is a non runner for me at least, I was excited on hearing about this as id like to explore the south of France without driving the whole way from Cherbourg. Was intending to go last week in may for two weeks, 2 adults, 2 kids and motorhome - a staggering €1600, so I've booked the same period with SL, €620 to Cherbourg. I cant see this route being viable at those prices.

roundymac wrote: »
    Already been mentioned.:p
    And has nothing to do with anything.

rustynutz wrote: »
    Well this is a non runner for me at least, I was excited on hearing about this as id like to explore the south of France without driving the whole way from Cherbourg. Was intending to go last week in may for two weeks, 2 adults, 2 kids and motorhome - a staggering €1600, so I've booked the same period with SL, €620 to Cherbourg. I cant see this route being viable at those prices.

That's quite a difference alright. A couple of hundred each way would balance the extra fuel and toll costs of driving through France but a thousand......

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

More economical for those travelling to Spain rather than the south of France it would seem. There are more ferry options to France from Ireland/UK + Channel tunnel option hence the competitive prices. I'm guessing retirees heading to Spain for the mostly year round sunshine (with car) or people who don't have accommodation costs I.e. Have their own place.. and families will probably make up the numbers ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

You should have rang them back up and told them this and asked for a better deal.Also,did you get a Cork Roscoff price to compare with SL?.Finally,what would your diesel bill be on a return journey from Cherbourg to Santander?

You should have rang them back up and told them this and asked for a better deal.Also,did you get a Cork Roscoff price to compare with SL?.Finally,what would your diesel bill be on a return journey from Cherbourg to Santander?

It works out about €160 each way for me including fuel and tolls (tolls can be avoided.) About 11 hours driving using autoroutes. I'd probably add an overnight stop each way too so maybe €500 total. Still a big difference to the ferry cost.

I doubt they are going to drop their price by 600 quid, which is where it needs to be to make sense for me. The Brittany price vs SL price is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, I've traveled with SL before without any complaints, if Brittany want to charge 20 - 30% more than the competition for the same route that's their business, its not up to me to convince them to drop their prices, I've done the most effective thing you can do in a situation like this, voted with my feet, and booked the more cost effective option.

I doubt they are going to drop their price by 600 quid, which is where it needs to be to make sense for me. The Brittany price vs SL price is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned, I've traveled with SL before without any complaints, if Brittany want to charge 20 - 30% more than the competition for the same route that's their business, its not up to me to convince them to drop their prices, I've done the most effective thing you can do in a situation like this, voted with my feet, and booked the more cost effective option.
    But it isn't the same route.

But it isn't the same route.

Brittany are about 200 dearer on roslare to Cherbourg route

OK; I thought we were discussing the Cork - Santander price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Brittany are about 200 dearer on roslare to Cherbourg route

Brittany Ferries does the fastest sailing from Ireland to France,it does Cork to Roscoff in 14 hours.The Rosslare to Roscoff one is 17.5hrs and Dublin to Cherbourg is 19hrs.This all has to be factored in.

I was responding to the another poster, he asked about a comparison price between Brittany and the other carriers on the traditional Rosslare - Cherbourg/Roscoff routes

I was responding to the another poster, he asked about a comparison price between Brittany and the other carriers on the traditional Rosslare - Cherbourg/Roscoff routes
    Brittany Ferried don't sail from Rosslare.

Brittany Ferries don't sail from Rosslare.

Ok, Ireland to France

What's your point?

Ok, Ireland to France

What's your point?

I thought the discussion was about the comparitive cost of Rosslare to Cherbourg and driving versus the Ferry to Santander. Bringing a (non existent) Brittany Ferries sailing from Rosslare into it didn't clarify much.

Ok, Ireland to France

What's your point?

I thought the discussion was about the comparative cost of Rosslare to Cherbourg and driving versus the Ferry to Santander. Bringing a (non existent) Brittany Ferries sailing from Rosslare into it didn't clarify much.

I thought the discussion was about the comparative cost of Rosslare to Cherbourg and driving versus the Ferry to Santander. Bringing a (non existent) Brittany Ferries sailing from Rosslare into it didn't clarify much.

I was answering a direct question by a poster, which I quoted in my post, see below:

Also,did you get a Cork Roscoff price to compare with SL?.

So, what have you to add to the discussion, apart from looking for mistakes in others posts?

I was answering a direct question by a poster, which I quoted in my post, see below:

Also,did you get a Cork Roscoff price to compare with SL?.

So, what have you to add to the discussion, apart from looking for mistakes in others posts?
    You'll find my contributions if you care to look for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Thread gone to sh1t lads

Advertisement