Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Do you not listen? There are truckers cabins set aside, on all ships. If passenger cabins are full, and you come on board as a trucker, you should still be able to get a cabin. That is the point of the truckers cabin, as they need the rest.

Listen to who about what? All I'm saying is that doubling up with strangers is not something your typical family or holidaying individual/couple will want to do. Whether freight drivers want to/need to /have to do it is a side issue. I'm just saying that they might be more prepared to do it than me and the missus would.

According to the Afloat.ie website, the ship is currently operating on routes between Italy and Greece and will be chartered from Stena RoRo for an initial period of two years. She will carry around 500 passengers with space for 195 cars. She hosts 2,225 lane metres of garage space and Brittany Ferries expects a fifty-fifty split between passengers and freight carried.

The ship has 118 four berth cabins. 195 cars means 195 passenger "groups" be they individuals, couples or families. A fully laden ship means that there is not enough cabins to accommodate each car load separately. Maybe there is additional accommodation for truckers (it isn't mentioned anywhere) but that still doesn't make 195 fit into 118. If you can square that circle, go ahead and I promise to listen.

And incidentally, the lounge seats are not available on the sailings to Santander - Roscoff only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

First Up wrote: »
    Listen to who about what? All I'm saying is that doubling up with strangers is not something your typical family or holidaying individual/couple will want to do. Whether freight drivers want to/need to /have to do it is a side issue. I'm just saying that they might be more prepared to do it than me and the missus would.

According to the Afloat.ie website, the ship is currently operating on routes between Italy and Greece and will be chartered from Stena RoRo for an initial period of two years. She will carry around 500 passengers with space for 195 cars. She hosts 2,225 lane metres of garage space and Brittany Ferries expects a fifty-fifty split between passengers and freight carried.

The ship has 118 four berth cabins. 195 cars means 195 passenger "groups" be the individuals, couples or families. A fully laden ship means that there is not enough cabins to accommodate each car load separately. Maybe there is additional accommodation for truckers (it isn't mentioned anywhere) but that still doesn't make 195 fit into 118. If you can square that circle, go ahead and II promise to listen.

And incidentally, the lunge seats are not available on the sailings to Santander.

You're not listening that there is trucker cabins separate from pax cabins haha!

I am squaring it for you. Just as the lounge seats are not available, the ship will not sail at a capacity that will force shared cabins or people not to have a cabin. You'll likely have 90-100 cars and the rest as freight. Those ferries are not comfortable full, they will likely limit what they take I would think.

The ship has 118 four berth cabins. 195 cars means 195 passenger "groups" be the individuals, couples or families. A fully laden ship means that there is not enough cabins to accommodate each car load separately. Maybe there is additional accommodation for truckers (it isn't mentioned anywhere) but that still doesn't make 195 fit into 118. If you can square that circle, go ahead and II promise to listen.

And incidentally, the lunge seats are not available on the sailings to Santander.

You're not listening that there is trucker cabins separate from pax cabins haha!

I am squaring it for you. Just as the lounge seats are not available, the ship will not sail at a capacity that will force shared cabins or people not to have a cabin. You'll likely have 90-100 cars and the rest as freight. Those ferries are not comfortable full, they will likely limit what they take I would think.

Sure, they can limit the capacity to what the 118 cabins can hold and maybe they'll get the freight/passenger/car ratio close enough to make money. But there's the prospect of a lot of empty bunks - and/or car lanes.

I'll be interested to get the reviews - from truckers and car passengers - when it starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

Peatys wrote: »
    Why is it fine for freight drivers to share cabins?

More likely to be traveling alone.

Ship is said to carry 70 more vehicles than it has cabins (195 - 120). If you need to get your truck on, you will have to take what you can get.

One truck takes the space of 5-7 cars. With 15 trucks, you won’t have space for more than 100 cars and the problem is fixed very quickly.

embraer170 wrote: »
    Why is it fine for freight drivers to share cabins?

Ship is said to carry 70 more vehicles than it has cabins (195 - 120). If you need to get your truck on, you will have to take what you can get.

One truck takes the space of 5-7 cars. With 15 trucks, you won’t have space for more than 100 cars and the problem is fixed very quickly.

Could be; I assume they have done their sums but combining the two types of business brings its own complications; juggling bookings to get the balance right - who gets priority?

I think it will be primarily a freight route with passengers making up the numbers (the website does warn people.)

I hope its OK. I've long fancied the idea of a ferry to Spain but I had a swankier ship in mind.

The reports will be very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭embraer170

Ferry companies and airlines do far more decliate balancing acts every day.

It could be as simple as putting a cap on the number of cars booked to allow space for trucks. In any case, they will go for whatever is most profitable.

It could be as simple as putting a cap on the number of cars booked to allow space for trucks. In any case, they will go for whatever is most profitable.

I expect they have done enough research to estimate the freight traffic in both directions and its viability will depend on that.

The car/passenger business will be harder to estimate; I'd expect the bulk of it to originate in Ireland so can they compete with cheap flights to the Costas or build a market for more adventurous travellers?

Interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Correct. I worked on a freight ship for over 10 years and it was primarily a dedicated freight service. We loaded the trucks first, the drivers were given their individual cabins first, they were fed first and they were discharged first. And to answer a previous poster we maximised the full amount of the car decks to get as much trucks and freight units onto the ship before any car was ever loaded. I saw freight loaded into the bowels of the ship, laid out on the after end and sitting on ramps.
    Only when the ship was ever full did we start doubling up cabins with truck drivers.

I'd assume that this crossing will again be aimed primarily at freight and any remaining space let out for car pax.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

No, just less fussy and they aren't travelling with their families.

I'd be as fussy as the next person even when I'm traveling alone. I have shared cabins on the short Irl - Uk and Rosslare - Cherbourg crossings but that's about the limit for me. Sharing is fine if it's someone you have some sort of camaraderie with but with a total stranger it might not be pleasent. If I had to share a cabin to Santander then I would use an alternative route. I doubt I'd be the only one with this view. Ferry companies do a lot more to entice freight drivers these days than they used to.
    I'd agree with Fann Linn in that the service is aimed primarily at freight and tourist traffic will be used to fill vacant space. I would think they will see how it goes for the duration of the lease and then either put a better ship on the service or if there's a lack of interest they will quit.

No, just less fussy and they aren't travelling with their families.

I'd be as fussy as the next person even when I'm traveling alone. I have shared cabins on the short Irl - Uk and Rosslare - Cherbourg crossings but that's about the limit for me. Sharing is fine if it's someone you have some sort of camaraderie with but with a total stranger it might not be pleasent. If I had to share a cabin to Santander then I would use an alternative route. I doubt I'd be the only one with this view. Ferry companies do a lot more to entice freight drivers these days than they used to.
    I'd agree with Fann Linn in that the service is aimed primarily at freight and tourist traffic will be used to fill vacant space. I would think they will see how it goes for the duration of the lease and then either put a better ship on the service or if there's a lack of interest they will quit.

May to November service I think so only a few months when cars/passengers will be a big feature. Its a freight service with capacity for hardy car travellers. Great to have it but don't be under any illusions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Average car 4 metres artic. 15.5 metres truck wider 2.5 metres but only cars will go on lowerroof upper decks.

I assume they have a quota system to balance the payload betwern trucks and cars, although presumably trucks get priority in that.

I'm just noting that there is space and cabins available on the sailings that work for the rugby finals weekend in Bilbao in mid may. You can get a car and four passengers with a cabin out Wednesday back Sunday for €1,200. With three Irish teams in contention, that could be a popular option.

I assume they have a quota system to balance the payload betwern trucks and cars, although presumably trucks get priority in that.

I'm just noting that there is space and cabins available on the sailings that work for the rugby finals weekend in Bilbao in mid may. You can get a car and four passengers with a cabin out Wednesday back Sunday for €1,200. With three Irish teams in contention, that could be a popular option.

An almighty piss up as well on the way! What's not to love.

An almighty piss up as well on the way! What's not to love.
    Yeah but think about the trip back!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this thread has gone seriously off track - when's the first sailing?

loyatemu wrote: »

Did you think of looking at the Brittany Ferries website?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

May 2nd - thanks for your help.

May 2nd - thanks for your help.

Happy to get you back on track.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah, but boats sail, trains run on tracks.

Water John wrote: »
    Ah, but boats sail, trains run on tracks.
    Good point.

• Advertisement

I don't know how debating it's viability and discussing the ferry being used is going off track?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Why anyone would spent 3X as much just to look at the boring sea for 2-3 days in a ferry when you can fly and be there in 2 hours is beyond me.

Jlayay wrote: »
    Why anyone would spent 3X as much just to look at the boring sea for 2-3 days in a ferry when you can fly and be there in 2 hours is beyond me.
    Depends what you plan to do when you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Let me know when I can take a 4 ton motorhome and three dogs by Ryanair.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

people with a fear of flying would be the obvious answer. and there are loads of them who would love to go to spain etc on holidays but cant because they hate flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

We have two small children. Taking a car packed with toys and stuff they need for a sun holiday looks far more appealing than squeezing everything you need in some suitcases and then stress yourself at the airport and stuck in small seats during a flight that hurts the children, as they cannot decompress.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

I'm travelling in June from Cork to Santander, with a Kangoo van which will be filled to the brim with booze on the way back. You can't do that on Ryanair!

The ferry is costing €1250 (€700 on the Santander leg, €550 on the return via Roscoff) and allows a nice tour of northern Spain followed by France's Atlantic coast.

I'll easily make back more than the excess over airfares/car hire given that I won't have to buy wine in Ireland until April or May 2019. I'm still drinking last years stock ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Cyclepath wrote: »
    I'm travelling in June from Cork to Santander, with a Kangoo van which will be filled to the brim with booze on the way back. You can't do that on Ryanair!

The ferry is costing €1250 (€700 on the Santander leg, €550 on the return via Roscoff) and allows a nice tour of northern Spain followed by France's Atlantic coast.

I'll easily make back more than the excess over airfares/car hire given that I won't have to buy wine in Ireland until April or May 2019. I'm still drinking last years stock ;-)

I'm planning something similar. What's the story with insurance when you're in Spain and/or France for a few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

zetalambda wrote: »
    I'm planning something similar. What's the story with insurance when you're in Spain and/or France for a few months?

3rd party is valid. Comprehensive could be limited (not sure of the legality of the 90 days limits) All assuming you are still resident in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

zetalambda wrote: »

Good question. I need to check with my insurance company but my understanding is that your usual coverage applies when you're on holiday in continental Europe.

I might arrange supplemental breakdown cover though...

Advertisement