Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Santander Ferry starting April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Breakdown insurence is vital and well worth the money. Our timing belt went one year in the middle of Paris. The car was back in the garage in Cork before we got back. Hire car included saved the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

roundymac wrote: »
    Breakdown insurence is vital and well worth the money. Our timing belt went one year in the middle of Paris. The car was back in the garage in Cork before we got back. Hire car included saved the holiday.

What company did you use?

I generally get breakdown cover if driving on the continent but am also concerned the company would try to find some way to get out of paying for repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dbs103 wrote: »

I generally get breakdown cover if driving on the continent but am also concerned the company would try to find some way to get out of paying for repairs.

Breakdown cover doesn't usually cover the cost of repair. It's to get your car to a garage and to provide alternative transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

Breakdown cover doesn't usually cover the cost of repair. It's to get your car to a garage and to provide alternative transport.

Sorry, didn't mean repair. Meant towing or bringing the vehicle back to Ireland.

dbs103 wrote: »

AA 5 star insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Last time I looked only applies to cars up to 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Dai John wrote: »
    Last time I looked only applies to cars up to 10 years old.

Yes. And read the small print. Proof is required that car has been regularly serviced as per manufacturers guidelines.
    Bring your service book.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

Cyclepath wrote: »
    Good question. I need to check with my insurance company but my understanding is that your usual coverage applies when you're on holiday in continental Europe.

I might arrange supplemental breakdown cover though...

My insurance company states 30 days at a time up to max of 90 days in a year but EU law states that must be all year for the min 3rd party cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Irish Ferries provide European breakdown cover as an add on. Cheapest option IME if you're only going to have your car on the continent once during the year (and assuming you're travelling with IF but BF and Stena may have similar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

How crappy will this ferry be, will there at least be a decent restaurant and bar on it? And how bumpy of a ride will it be? I'mriously considering it in September. Won't book it untill I see some feedback when it gets going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

How crappy will this ferry be, will there at least be a decent restaurant and bar on it? And how bumpy of a ride will it be? I'mriously considering it in September. Won't book it untill I see some feedback when it gets going.

It’s the no-frills ‘Economie’ service so don’t expect too much.This video will give you an idea.

https://youtu.be/dXFCGG48G-Q

Its the same as the Epsilon which Irish Ferries used for the last couple of years. There were a few posts by people who did'nt have a clue what they were talking about, they were IMO Irish Ferry supporters.

ww.brittanyferries.ie/ships/economie/connemara
    Maybe this will put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Its the same as the Epsilon which Irish Ferries used for the last couple of years. There were a few posts by people who did'nt have a clue what they were talking about, they were IMO Irish Ferry supporters.

What's an "Irish Ferries supporter"?

The Oscar Wilde is a fine boat and will be the WB Yeats when it eventually arrives. So is the Brittany Ferries ship Pont Aven.

These are Cruise Ferries designed to cater for a large number of passengers. The other ships, including the Stena service to France, the Epsilon and the new one ("Connemara") doing the Santander run are primarily truckers ferries and have far less facilities.

Its the ship that matters, not who operates it.

tps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG8yUWMlNLU&feature=youtu.be
    A short video of the Connemara entering drydock in Santander the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

She ain't big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

She ain't big.

Understatement of the year there !!! :eek:

She's 26 thousand tonnes. When you compare her to the Innisfallen (4500) shes big,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭thomil

testicles wrote: »
    Why does the Friday night sailing from Cork take 8 or so hours longer than the Wednesday one?

That was discussed earlier on here, if I remember correctly. They’re operating that sailing, or at least part of it, at a slower speed to avoid arriving in Santander in the middle of the night. Not really unusual, I‘ve seen that with other ferry sailings as well.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Advertisement

They'v a poor set of headlights on this ship.:D:D:D
    I'm just leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Ah seriously that thing will be on the bottom of the sea after the first sailing. Looks very dodgy....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Couldnt see myself being happy spending that amount of time on that yoke tbh, but whatever floats yer boat.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Ah seriously that thing will be on the bottom of the sea after the first sailing. Looks very dodgy....:eek:
    tototoe wrote: »
    Couldnt see myself being happy spending that amount of time on that yoke tbh, but whatever floats yer boat.
    Shows what you two know about ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Who on here is booked to go? I'd love to see a review of the trip before I book.

I'm going on the Pont Aven, maybe next year for a relaxing trip to San Sebastian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Shows what you two know about ships.

Do I need to know stuff about ships to give my opinion?
    Not a hope would I use this ship, not because it looks like a bucket of crap, but because its too long a journey, with poor facilities for passengers. The fact it looks like a ship for cattle, just adds to that.

By all means work away, but I don't need a degree in boats to know this route would melt my brain. No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I'm going on the Pont Aven, maybe next year for a relaxing trip to San Sebastian.

If the Pont Aven sailed to Santander I would certainly think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

To be dismantled I hope :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Seriously the ship has been pointed out is not for people looking for a cruise with fancy facilities. It gets people who need a vehicle and want to avoid driving through France into Santander.

For the poster with the van doing a booze run with a sense of adventure of the motorhome with dogs it's ideal.

Anyone going on this should do their research, get a decent book, download films on tablet and pack some ham sandwiches + other food.

Everyone else get the plane and shut up.

Advertisement