Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning application for Douglas Cinema site

Options
  • 16-01-2018 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Just seen this on cork County Planning, i know there have been rumours, but didn't know it was at planning stage

File 177054
    Submitted 24/11/2017

Amendment to development permitted under planning reg. No. 11/4368 and extended under 17/5084, a consent for change of use from cinema to retail use comprising of a discount retail store and 3 no. retail units with other ancillary development, to allow for the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises at the permitted discount store.

EDIT: reading through planning has already been granted apparently, this is an amendment to allow an off licence on the new ALDI premises that's being built !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Shocking proposal really. County council need to have their heads examined. Another supermarket in Douglas which will be just be another concrete bunker surrounded by car parking in the heart of the village. Horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Shocking proposal really. County council need to have their heads examined. Another supermarket in Douglas which will be just be another concrete bunker surrounded by car parking in the heart of the village. Horrendous.

Lets not forget the Douglas Lidl application which is set to be approved shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lets not forget the Douglas Lidl application which is set to be approved shortly

Oh yeah thats the one by Barry's isn't it. The county really have made an awful mess of Douglas.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Oh yeah thats the one by Barry's isn't it. The county really have made an awful mess of Douglas.

Yep in the field behind, at least access to that is from the Carrigaline Road, an ALDI on the cinema site will create traffic chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Cork County Council need not give two hoots about Douglas anymore, it will be in within the Cork City boundary soon enough.

I have more confidence that at least the City Council have some experience in dealing with traffic as opposed to country borreens. Whatever about anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Thats such a waste of space in the heart of Douglas, a proper streetscape could be developed with some imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

This is a clear example of why the Cork City extension needs to take place. County Council do not know how to manage the outskirts of this city.

This is a clear example of why the Cork City extension needs to take place. County Council do not know how to manage the outskirts of this city.

They are more expert at tending to rural borreens with grass growing up the middle of them. They get dizzy if there are not ditches on either side of the road.
    On a serious note though, they are gifted at collecting rates, not only from the areas of the county currently bordering the city, but from County towns and i cannot think of one that does not have some issue with traffic management problems.

I have to wonder if the city had Douglas now, how they would view another shopping center being built on a road that was originally built as a relief road for Douglas village

kub wrote: »
    They are more expert at tending to rural borreens with grass growing up the middle of them. They get dizzy if there are not ditches on either side of the road.
    On a serious note though, they are gifted at collecting rates, not only from the areas of the county currently bordering the city, but from County towns and i cannot think of one that does not have some issue with traffic management problems.

I have to wonder if the city had Douglas now, how they would view another shopping center being built on a road that was originally built as a relief road for Douglas village

When you think of the recent approvals, you have to wonder. I believe Douglas village centre (Tesco) is now seeing record throughput thanks partially to TK Maxx. They then approved KFC, ALDI & the Lidl approval is due this month. That's before any regeneration of the village itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Poor enough development really. I wouldn't have minded too much if it went into that empty field just behind it but that Cinema site has a lot of potential. 
    On another note I see the centra in the village has an opening soon sign on it but zero work being done to the site, this is where Il padrino is meant to be going in? Xtravision and The off licence both have for let signs on them so I assume the rumors about chopped going in there aren't true.

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    Poor enough development really. I wouldn't have minded too much if it went into that empty field just behind it but that Cinema site has a lot of potential. 
    On another note I see the centra in the village has an opening soon sign on it but zero work being done to the site, this is where Il padrino is meant to be going in? Xtravision and The off licence both have for let signs on them so I assume the rumors about chopped going in there aren't true.

Centra gained planning permission for change of use to a restaurant, so sounds about right

When you think of the recent approvals, you have to wonder. I believe Douglas village centre (Tesco) is now seeing record throughput thanks partially to TK Maxx. They then approved KFC, ALDI & the Lidl approval is due this month. That's before any regeneration of the village itself.

Overall Douglas has a population that is greater than that in Tralee.
    Cork County Council have been a huge failure in regard to regeneration there in Douglas village

Advertisement