Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair dye at home

Options
  • 16-01-2018 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I get highlights in my hair (no bleach used) every few months. I was wondering what treatments eg L’oreal, garnier etc would anyone recommend for me to do at home? I have a young family and find it not only expensive but time consuming to got o the hairdresser every 6 – 8 weeks to get a t bar, half head or full head. I appreciate any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

If your hairdresser is lightening your hair then they are definitely using bleach.

I would recommend balayage, you only dye the mid to ends of your hair but the regrowth is much more forgiving so you only need to get it maintained every 4-6 months if you want.

Lightning your hair at home is very risky and will cost you more in the long run, if you don't have to cut it all off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Summer2017

Thanks GingerLily. No there is no bleach in the product used. Its a high lift tint.

Thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

If your hair is naturally a dark blonde/light brown, you’ll struggle to get a clean looking blonde from box colours.
    Hilift colour combines lightening agents with a toner.
    Your hair is actually better off having bleach with a low strength developer followed by a toner as it gives a cleaner lift.
    Highlift colour uses a high strength developer which is actually more damaging to the cuticle layer, especially if you overlap onto previous colour. Also, you never get a good cool blonde colour on naturally darker blondes as there isn’t enough colour pigment in the toner to neutralise the underlying pigments exposed by lifting.
    If money is an issue, look for a hairdressing college or training salon requiring models for students to train on. T-bar, half and full head highlights are very basic services so you shouldn’t have any problems finding a competent student.

Advertisement