Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre accident validation for 151 Kia Carens with 50000km

Options
  • 16-01-2018 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I was involved in a car accident in December where my was written off - nobody was hurt thankfully, and the other driver admitted full liability.

My car was a Kia Carens 1.7 EX with 50,000 km on the clock - we bought it new and has a full service history.

My question is around the pre-accident validation of the car.

Their accessors are putting a pre-accident valuation of €19,500 on the car, which I think is not enough.

They are basing their valuation on a couple of examples online of €18,900 with 60,000 Km.

The cheapest replacement I can find online with a similar mileage to mine - 51,230 Km - is €20,995.

So allowing for dealer mark up say of €1000, I think I should be getting at least €19,995.

Their validation leaves me short €495.

I am arguing that their validation should be on the car with 50000 Km and not 60000 Km.

But they are absolutely refusing to budge on their valuation; and are arguing that they have allowed for the extra mileage  - €19,250 plus €250 for the 10000 km (they are allowing €20 per 1000 km).

Am I correct in thinking that their valuation is too low?

Any advice greatly appreciated on how to proceed.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

They should refer that on for a second opinion and see what that comes back with, there’s a good chance they will come up to the valuation you are placing on your vehicle.

See how that goes and let us know how ya got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hob79132

So that's exactly what happened !

I refused the valuation I was being offered (after a week of haggling), and the insurance company got a second valuation which matched what I was looking for :)

The whole thing was complicated by the fact that the vehicle valuation part is out sourced to a UK based company, who were not easy to deal with. I am definitely not happy with the way this process is spun out trying to negotiate for a fair validation.

Anyway, happy in the end. So I guess the lesson is never ever accept a lower valuation that you think your car was worth.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Sono

hob79132 wrote: »
    So that's exactly what happened !

I refused the valuation I was being offered (after a week of haggling), and the insurance company got a second valuation which matched what I was looking for :)

The whole thing was complicated by the fact that the vehicle valuation part is out sourced to a UK based company, who were not easy to deal with. I am definitely not happy with the way this process is spun out trying to negotiate for a fair validation.

Anyway, happy in the end. So I guess the lesson is never ever accept a lower valuation that you think your car was worth.

Thanks!

Glad you got sorted in the end, those valuations teams are doing their job and like anybody they get it wrong from time to time hence why i mentioned the second opinion, always good to get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Sono wrote: »
    Glad you got sorted in the end, those valuations teams are doing their job and like anybody they get it wrong from time to time hence why i mentioned the second opinion, always good to get one!

I can’t see how a 151 Carens is worth 19500. You can buy a brand new one for about 27000 so that’s 72% of the new car price after three years. You’ve done very well

Advertisement