Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let go by text message

Options
  • 16-01-2018 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I was let go just after Christmas, just 4 days before I was due to go back, by TEXT MESSAGE of all things. I was an English teacher at a language school.

I don't want to go into too much detail but the reason given was that my student reviews were down, but not by much. I let him know that I took issue with his review system as it was only the second one in 5 months. I also questioned his choice of delivering the news.

Nothing in my contract prohibited the use of text message to inform me of such a thing, but I am wondering if this is now relatively common practice in the Irish workplace?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

It's not common. It's not illegal.
    Review the place on glassdoor and google places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Tenigate wrote: »
    It's not common. It's not illegal.
    Review the place on glassdoor and google places.

In a small industry you risk something like that coming back to haunt you. Chalk it down to experience op, and maybe a lucky escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

davo10 wrote: »
    In a small industry you risk something like that coming back to haunt you. Chalk it down to experience op, and maybe a lucky escape.

Yeah, I'd always be slow in going down that road, it would be obvious who I was and I still need references etc.

Advertisement