Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queens University Belfast vs NUIG

Options
  • 16-01-2018 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Completely torn between midwifery at Nuig or midwifery at queens Belfast. Any advice would be appreciated where has the better student life, where offers the better degree or just general info about either college
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 louloumclou

Hope2985 wrote: »
    Completely torn between midwifery at Nuig or midwifery at queens Belfast. Any advice would be appreciated where has the better student life, where offers the better degree or just general info about either college
    Thanks in advance

I studied Midwifery in Nuig, I qualified in 2015. It's a good course a mix of college and placements. You do about 4 weeks placement in first year, I think 8 weeks in second year and 12 in third year. In final year you end up on placement for about 11 months, 9 of which are a paid internship. Student midwives do placements between UHG, Ballinsloe and Mayo general hospital and I think recently they brought in placements in Sligo. As well as Midwifery based placements, you will do placemat in general nurses , theatre , mental health and a couple others.
    The lecturers were very good in NUIG , it's an interesting course very science based. Just be sure you want to do it , it's a challenging job was you qualify.
    Galway is a great place to live, great night life.
    Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like to know

Thanks in advance

I studied Midwifery in Nuig, I qualified in 2015. It's a good course a mix of college and placements. You do about 4 weeks placement in first year, I think 8 weeks in second year and 12 in third year. In final year you end up on placement for about 11 months, 9 of which are a paid internship. Student midwives do placements between UHG, Ballinsloe and Mayo general hospital and I think recently they brought in placements in Sligo. As well as Midwifery based placements, you will do placemat in general nurses , theatre , mental health and a couple others.
    The lecturers were very good in NUIG , it's an interesting course very science based. Just be sure you want to do it , it's a challenging job was you qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hope2985

Thank you so much for replying. How did you travel to your placements in the likes of Mayo general 😬 also did you have much trouble finding a job after you graduated.

Thank you so much for replying. How did you travel to your placements in the likes of Mayo general 😬 also did you have much trouble finding a job after you graduated.

Well you have to organise your own transport and accommodation. You can claim expenses back from the HSE for the expenses you have but can only claim a certain amount. Might not be able to claim back everything you spend during placement. You would have to stay up in mayo for placements organise accomadation. The college don't have anything to do with accomadation on placements. You usually work three 13 hour shifts a week but they usually aren't in a row unless they are nights shifts.
    Ya there's always a shortage with nurses and midwives , most of the girls I trained with in Galway were encouraged to stay on temporary contracts it's most left. I'm working in Dublin at the moment plenty of work!

Advertisement