Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private insurance on a commercial vehicle?

Options
  • 16-01-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Does this not exist now?

I quit a €70/odd a week smoking habit and I'm using the extra cash to finance a new car.

It's a commercial jeep, two seats, 2018 but already plated and taxed as a commercial because its the garage's demo.

It is the same price as a passenger model, and the tax is more expensive (€180 vs €330/year)

I am happy to pay it, as I do not want a passenger vehicle. (I'm switching from a van)

Yet I cannot find anyone to insure it for private use?! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭jeepcj

I;m with insuremyvan.ie (liberty), its a commercial policy but includes social and domestic use.
    Rips wrote: »
    Does this not exist now?

I quit a €70/odd a week smoking habit and I'm using the extra cash to finance a new car.

It's a commercial jeep, two seats, 2018 but already plated and taxed as a commercial because its the garage's demo.

It is the same price as a passenger model, and the tax is more expensive (€180 vs €330/year)

I am happy to pay it, as I do not want a passenger vehicle. (I'm switching from a van)

Yet I cannot find anyone to insure it for private use?! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Thanks I will see what they say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

jeepcj wrote: »
    I;m with insuremyvan.ie (liberty), its a commercial policy but includes social and domestic use.

Most people don’t buy a commercial vehicle instead of a private vehicle unless you can suffice it’s proposed use.
    Most insurance companies will decline a quote unless you are will to put in writing that it’s genuine for only S,D&P for own use.
    Moving from a van to com’l jeep may warrant u to be ask what profession to you prior do

Hope u have luck but probably which ever company u are already with is ur likely chance

All the best

Advertisement