Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Wrestlemania 34 Thread (Contains Spoilers) *No Betting Talk*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Have the changed the order a little this year, in that HOF is now Friday instead of Saturday, swapping with NXT?

Suits me really, i would always stay up the saturday and sunday. HOF can be a real slog to sit through. It's a very stacked year though in fairness.

7 hours of Mania on Sunday is going to be killer. But the pre show matches are all pretty much watch for me. Last year, I stayed up to watch Mania, had an hours sleep before getting the train to Dublin for an exam. Foolish - failed it!

Do any of our members here go about cooking some special things for Mania to eat? this year, i'm going to make a savage hot curry to have with it, and of course, my own weight in snacks, dips, beer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Have the changed the order a little this year, in that HOF is now Friday instead of Saturday, swapping with NXT?

Suits me really, i would always stay up the saturday and sunday. HOF can be a real slog to sit through. It's a very stacked year though in fairness.

7 hours of Mania on Sunday is going to be killer. But the pre show matches are all pretty much watch for me. Last year, I stayed up to watch Mania, had an hours sleep before getting the train to Dublin for an exam. Foolish - failed it!

Do any of our members here go about cooking some special things for Mania to eat? this year, i'm going to make a savage hot curry to have with it, and of course, my own weight in snacks, dips, beer etc

Aye slight change this year, nicked from my own post in the RAW thread.
    Tues: #SDLive
    Weds: #WWENXT
    Friday: #WWEHOF
    Saturday: #NXTTakeOver
    Sunday: #WrestleMania 34
    Monday: #RAWAfterMania
    Tues: #SDLiveAfterMania
    Weds: #NXTAfterMania

I'm back at college the morning of Wrestlemania, damn it i'm gonna need jugs upon jugs of coffee to stay awake :pac:

As for food, I'll probably get a few bag of Walkers, some fizzy and a bag of sweets. Same as every year..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'll catch the highlights on the Bleacher Report the next day. Can't think of a Mania with a worse lead in ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

The Nal wrote: »
    I'll catch the highlights on the Bleacher Report the next day. Can't think of a Mania with a worse lead in ever.

Jesus if nothing can get you excited on this Wrestlemania card then I feel sorry for you

The build can always be better, we'll always find faults and ways we'd do things better but if you can't find any enjoyment out of it then I don't know what you'd want

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Jesus if nothing can get you excited on this Wrestlemania card then I feel sorry for you

The build can always be better, we'll always find faults and ways we'd do things better but if you can't find any enjoyment out of it then I don't know what you'd want

Its been the same way the last few years, poor build but its Mania, it usually delivers a spectacle at the least. The matches on the card despite the poor build are enough to get me excited.

Daniel Bryans in ring return is enough for me.

• Advertisement

Owens in a singles match.

Bryan in a singles match.

Rousey in a singles match.

No HHH, Stephanie or Angle. Angle looks like hes one Angle slam away from a heart attack.

Strowman pushed properly.

Tag champs match booked properly. Tag team wrestling is a beautiful thing.

No Lesnar vs Reigns again.

WWE not pretending like Cena didn't call (a retired) Taker "a battered veteran at the end of his career with a bad hip".

Heres the AJ vs Nakamura match. Not knocking them as they're great workers but we'll see close to a repeat of this.

Main thing was the build. None of the matches matter really.

Flair vs Asuka should be great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Main thing was the build. None of the matches matter really.

In fairness you're right

I do as much complaining as anyone but Wrestlemania is the one night of the year I'll do nothing but try and find the positives about everything since I'll spend the other 364 days complaining about something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What’s going on with Taker and Cena?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What’s going on with Taker and Cena?

Cena's gone all Stan and trying so hard to get The Undertaker's attention.

In fairness you're right

I do as much complaining as anyone but Wrestlemania is the one night of the year I'll do nothing but try and find the positives about everything since I'll spend the other 364 days complaining about something

haha Im sort of the opposite! Just cant get into this one sadly. Although Im sure something big will happen.

• Advertisement

Well whatever happens, nothing will top Matt & Jeff coming back, even though I remember myself saying it wouldn't happen, yet lo and behold it did..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Well whatever happens, nothing will top Matt & Jeff coming back, even though I remember myself saying it wouldn't happen, yet lo and behold it did..

CM Punk returning deff would

Maybe a big name debuting like Omega

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I dunno, I've kinda enjoyed the build for a few of the matches tbh.

IC Title triple threat won't disappoint.

Styles/Nakamura.

Rousey's in ring debut has a big fight feel.

They've done a fabulous job with Reigns since Elimination Chamber.

Charlotte/Asuka will be great.

Jax/Bliss has a decent build imo.

Who's gonna be Strowman's partner.

Smackdown Tag Title three-way should be great.

DB's in-ring return.

What happens with Cena/Taker.

There's a few filler bits on the card like the US Title match, the Battle Royales, Cruiserweight match (for me anyways) but that's standard fare.

I actually think compared to recent years the card is stacked.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    CM Punk returning deff would

Maybe a big name debuting like Omega

Hell will freeze over before Punk returns. Closest we'll ever get is Heyman trolling by playing his music and walking out..

Also Omega has bigger things than the WWE to worry about. Plus he's signed with New Japan through to next January.

Necrominus wrote: »
    Rousey's in ring debut has a big fight feel.

Does it?!

Partnering with a retired 50 year old man, wrestling against another retired 50 year old man and a very unathletic woman who has barely ever wrestled in a match?

Does it?!

Partnering with a retired 50 year old man, wrestling against another retired 50 year old man and a very unathletic woman who has barely ever wrestled in a match?

Regardless of age, Angle, Steph and Triple H are household names in the WWE. As many people have said (and I agree), a mixed tag match protects a probably very green around the gills Rousey from people sh1tting all over her debut.

It might not be the ideal debut, but it feels like a big fight to me, at least.

Does it?!

While I disagree with ya on the "is it worth watching" side, I will agree this match does nothing for me. Trips is passed it and Kurt is a shell of his former self, couple that with a non wrestle in Steph and, for me, Rousey who is so wooden in her delivery both as a character and from what Ive seen of her in a wrestling ring, after the entrances (Im a sucker for a Hunter OTT entrance) , this will be the piss break.

Regardless of age, Angle, Steph and Triple H are household names in the WWE. As many people have said (and I agree), a mixed tag match protects a probably very green around the gills Rousey from people sh1tting all over her debut.

It might not be the ideal debut, but it feels like a big fight to me, at least.

They could've given her someone to squash. Someone to suplex a few times and then armbar the shít out of and leave it at that. Good start to her career. Thats all her UFC fights ever were and she was a great.

Theres no positive from her having Stephanie McMahon tap out. Or HHH.

And Ill be launching my telly through the fúcking window if the match finishes with a double tap out - Angle on HHH and Ronda on Steph.

The crowd are lukewarm on her already. She doesn't need this rubbish. I blame her agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Does it?!

did you see how into the segment the crowd were last night. they absolutely made the right decision not to have her in a singles match yet. shes only been training full time a few months granted. i think the partners and opponents are debatable.

They could've given her someone to squash. Someone to suplex a few times and then armbar the shít out of and leave it at that. Good start to her career.

So give her a Nia Jax squashing jobbers moment at Mania? Nah dude, I know the partners are not ideal, but it's the best call to start her off imo.

I don't know what other team you face her off against if not Steph/HHH tbh given the previous interaction.

Plenty of time for Ronda to destroy people on RAW/susbsequent PPVs and build to a title match at a future date.

So while it's not the greatest 'looking' match to us regulars, it damn sure will sell PPVs/Network subs.

And that, at the end of the day is what Mania has always been about.

Anyways, it's only one match, there's loads (too many even) of others that are interesting ones too.

• Advertisement

So while it's not the greatest 'looking' match to us regulars, it damn sure will sell PPVs/Network subs.

I think thats the issue I have yeah. Wrestlemania goes a little too broad for my tastes. Still think people would be happier with a no talking Ronda beatdown. Walk in, look mean, take a bump, no sell, judo throw, armbar someone, put a marker down. The Rousey era has begun etc. Genuinely think she been booked badly thus far. As badly as possible to be honest. Keep her away from the mic! She was fairly shít on the mic in the UFC too. Became very unlikable.

My opinions aside, I suppose it shows how much faith they have in Ronda currently. At one stage the biggest MMA star ever, still probably the 2nd biggest ever, babysat in a clumsy slow moving mixed tag match against an opponent who will sell terribly. Steph will make Ronda look like shít.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The card may be stacked but apart from Sami and Kevin v Shane and Bryan I am not impressed with the build or readsn presented for the matches.

Cruiserweight is actually fine but is now pre-show.

Two stand outs on any other show would be Nak v AJ and Asuka v Charlotte but they have no real edge, they are 'just' title matches. Does it really matter who wins AJ v Nak?

Where is the 'real' grudge match? Where is the challenger who has worked hard and overcome so many onstacles to take down a dirty champion? Actually I know the answer, the night before at Takeover.

I get they want Wrestlemania to be BIG, like a trip to Disneyland but the show should still have good reasons presented to have matches take place and a reason for people to care about the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

My missus took my work diary at the start of the year and saw I had next week booked of as leave so suprised me with a Spring break in Ibiza. If she knew the first thing about me, she'd know I book Mania week off every year and have done since WrestleMania 22! All is good though, she's paid for the whole lot with tax back and says we can watch the whole thing on the Network on our balcony with cold beers and snacks. Sounds like a plan!

Pre show (9pm or 10pm our time)
    Andre the giant battle royal
    Womens battle royal
    Crusierweight title- Cedric Alexander vs Musafa Ali

Main show (12pm)
    WWE Universal title- Brock Lesner vs Roman Reigns
    WWE World title- Aj Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura
    WWE Raw Womens title- Alexia Bliss vs Nia Jax
    WWE SD Womens title- Charlotte vs Askua
    WWE IC title- The Miz vs Seth Rollins vs Finn Balor
    WWE Us title- Randy Orton vs Bobby Roode vs Jinder Mahal vs Rusev
    WWE Raw Tag Titles- The bar vs Braun Strowman/????
    WWE SD Tag Titles- Usos vs New day vs Bludegon Brothers
    Shane Mcmahon/Daniel Bryan vs Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn
    Kurt Angle/Ronda Rousey vs Triple H/Stephanie Mcmahon
    HOF introductions
    Elias sing song (hopefully replaces the annual **** music performance)
    John Cena segment (could involve Undertaker)

ATM bar title matches there are no 1-1 matches on the main card!!!

Omackeral wrote: »
    My missus took my work diary at the start of the year and saw I had next week booked of as leave so suprised me with a Spring break in Ibiza. If she knew the first thing about me, she'd know I book Mania week off every year and have done since WrestleMania 22! All is good though, she's paid for the whole lot with tax back and says we can watch the whole thing on the Network on our balcony with cold beers and snacks. Sounds like a plan!

No Mania Dublin Street Fight for you this year

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Pre show (9pm or 10pm our time)
    Andre the giant battle royal
    Womens battle royal
    Crusierweight title- Cedric Alexander vs Musafa Ali

Main show (12pm)
    WWE Universal title- Brock Lesner vs Roman Reigns
    WWE World title- Aj Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura
    WWE Raw Womens title- Alexia Bliss vs Nia Jax
    WWE SD Womens title- Charlotte vs Askua
    WWE IC title- The Miz vs Seth Rollins vs Finn Balor
    WWE Us title- Randy Orton vs Bobby Roode vs Jinder Mahal vs Rusev
    WWE Raw Tag Titles- The bar vs Braun Strowman/????
    WWE SD Tag Titles- Usos vs New day vs Bludegon Brothers
    Shane Mcmahon/Daniel Bryan vs Kevin Owens/Sami Zayn
    Kurt Angle/Ronda Rousey vs Triple H/Stephanie Mcmahon
    HOF introductions
    Elias sing song (hopefully replaces the annual **** music performance)
    John Cena segment (could involve Undertaker)

ATM bar title matches there are no 1-1 matches on the main card!!!

Elias ft. Kid Rock, 20 minutes musical performance :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

beakerjoe wrote: »
    No Mania Dublin Street Fight for you this year

This is my original gimmick on the college indies Joe circa 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The thing with this wrestlemania is that there aren't many obvious winners compared to the last few years.

Roman and Ronda/Angle. Other than that? Possibly Nia. That leaves a lot of matches with an unknown result which hasn't happened a lot recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Elias ft. Kid Rock, 20 minutes musical performance :pac::pac:

Eilas ft kid and the rock

• Advertisement

The thing with this wrestlemania is that there aren't many obvious winners compared to the last few years.

Roman and Ronda/Angle. Other than that? Possibly Nia. That leaves a lot of matches with an unknown result which hasn't happened a lot recently.

can deff see Nakamura winning the wwe title but the rest are hard to predict

One streak ended at the last mania in New Orleans and wwe could decide to end another one in Askuas ???.
    Charlotte is 4/1 to retain on PP ??

shall be going dark from all wrestling new sites just before the HOF

Advertisement