Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quit a job. Who has done it?

Options
  • 16-01-2018 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

When I say quit, I don't mean quit to go to a new job. Just quit because you've had enough.
    I'm in a job currently, and it seems like everyday I'm doing something else wrong, so much so that at this stage, 2 years into it, I feel demoralised. I'm doing something I had gone back to uni a few years ago to get away from. Graduated, but couldn't get a "new" job, so fell back into the line of work I'm doing because I needed a job, I had experience, and the money was ok.
    I'm back to square one, don't really see eye to eye with the management, will have a review soon, and am in a bad mood all the time outside of the workplace due to my unhappiness in it.
    I am half thinking of just leaving. Handing in the notice, so I'm forced to get something else.
    But in a city, that would be a disaster of a move. The idea of handing in my notice fills me with joy and relief and liberation, but also fear and dread. I am so close to doing it, but fear I'll let my family and friends down if I'm left idle in a few months time.....
    I just feel like I'll never get things right. A jack of all trades and a master of none.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

First things first, OP - are you looking (seriously looking) for a new job? Once you have an exit plan, the everyday slog gets a lot easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I've done it loads of times and I really don't recommend it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Only advice I can offer is make sure you have another job lined up and guaranteed before you do anything rushed.Life’s too short to suffer a job you hate but have something you would like to work at ready first and then go for it.make sure you get all the holiday pay and benefits you are due from the old job too.dont leave them a cent belonging to you and if you have a new job got and know the start date you can tell old Kip of a job you want whatever holidays you are due put into your 2 week notice and you will have even less time to spend in said Kip.best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

My first job I worked in a supply company in the stock room and the probation period was 9 months. After 6 months I asked for a day off and was told I was not there long enough and to wait a while longer. Got an inkling that this is what they did, hired someone on dirt cheap rates for 9 months probation with a promise of a bump and then let them go after the PP and start the process again.

I asked a security guard a few weeks later in the same building if he noticed a high turnover in my position and he was quite honest, yes the last two guys left very quickly. Went back in to ask for just a day off and was warned not to ask again.

Picked up my jacket and just said 'well that's it for me then. see ya'. I am 42 now, at the time I was 18. Never regretted it once tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lorcand1990

It's generally easier to find a new job if you are currently employed, other than the fact that you have to take time off work for interviews, if and when you get them. I'd recommend going online to have a look at whats out there, put your CV about & perhaps register with some recruitment agencies. Even doing that can help make you feel a bit better going into work each day, it makes you feel like you're progressing things

Obviously if it starts to seriously effect your mental health that's a completely different ballgame & you may need to leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Can you afford to quit without a new job to go to? I’m a firm believer in doing what makes you happy. Life’s too short to work in a job you really hate. But in reality that only works if you have something lined up or can afford not to work for awhile. I quit with no real plan and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve made.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

OP I have quit a job (now I did think I had a better job to go too before leaving and I did want to leave). My advice start looking for a new job before quitting, hopefully you get a better job.

If it is that bad look for a small part time job to see if you like it and to see if you could hack going back to a lower wage (minimum wage) while still in your current job.

If you do leave CV should state your still working in your current job.

But have a job to go to before leaving and make sure you have enough savings if you are planning to work part time or if you take a major pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Prospectors

I left a job after 8 months a few years ago. I didn't have a new job lined up but I was interviewing at the time of handing in notice. One of those interviews led to a new job which meant I was out of work for a month in between.

The reason for leaving was mainly stress. I really questioned my decision at the time because my wife was due to have our baby at around the same time. It turned out that I had a nice bit of time off with our newborn while going through final interview stages and getting job offer.

I do admit that I was probably very lucky with timing and also I could afford to be without work for 6-12months if things didn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well, in 10 mins, I'll have done it. Nothing lined up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My brother quit a job after two days because the canteen was a ****hoole.

Jammy fecker walked into a good job a few weeks later.

I voulentered for redundancy without having anything arranged. Then had a horrific accident the day I finished and didn’t work for 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I did but knew I could get plenty of well paid agency work with no difficulty so it wasn’t a hard decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I quit a well paying job without a new job lined up. I dreaded going in every day and felt sick at the thoughts of it. I decided to leave for my sanity.

Thankfully I had a new job within 2 weeks. I spent every minute of each day applying for jobs and lining up interviews after I quit the job. I am so happy I did it as I loved the next job and I gained great experience that I would never have if I has stayed in the first job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yeah. Luckily I was able to join a FAS course that I had passed up. This allowed me get a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hopskipandjump

I did and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I ever found myself in the same kind of situation. It all really depends on your own work situation though. In my case, I was related to my employer which made it really difficult for me in more than one sense. I had planned on leaving my job the following year and having a few bob saved but I just reached breaking point and had to quit. Best thing I ever did when I eventually came out the other side of it. I was mentally worn down and had lost all confidence in myself. I was unemployed for two years and stony broke, but I was free and I felt like myself again. In the ideal world you would look around for another job and leave on fairly good terms with another job to go to but it doesn't always work out that way. If you are being demoralised and feel sick to the pit of your stomach going in to work every day, it's not worth it and yes you should just walk away. You can survive on peanuts if you have to. You can get another job even though you left a job that seemed perfectly good on paper. Only you can answer whether it's just a case of you don't really like your job or you just can't bear to be in that job any longer. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Yes. January 2001. Announced it to the official who recruited me - very sincere woman, I'm sure she still is - Will keep details basic. Working with 2 other female colleagues on a project as an assistant co ordinator for a 6 month contract.
    One of these ladies went to great length to analyse my use of a computer. Very great length, delving into low level data, and quizzed me about it. Her colleague sagely agreed with everything about me: I could do NO good.
    Looking back........if I had ANY amount of SAVINGS I should have hired a solicitor for both of your disgusting, awful, grotty treatment of me. But that is 16 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

yikesagain wrote: »
    Well, in 10 mins, I'll have done it. Nothing lined up.

Well let us know how it goes. Love to here more stories about leaving jobs and hopefully finding the right one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I did (t'was only a short-lived job) and I've mixed feelings about it. I don't regret leaving the job because it was a hellhole. I'm pretty sure my not working came against me when I started jobhunting. I didn't get as many interviews as I felt I should have done and it was always raised in the interviews. So I'm of the opinion that if you can at all, try to stay in your old job until you've something new lined up .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

I did it after 12 years with a company. I was lucky that I was ok financially. I got the same role in a nicer company for more money. Best move I ever made. If you can manage it financially go for it. Life is short......

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭skintiam

I quit a job years ago in the heat of the moment just walked out, it was a family run business and the daughter had a habit of shouting in my face rather than discussing an issue, so she had a go at me one time too often and I got my things and walked out the door. While it was satisfying right then I regretted it, not leaving the job - I don't know how I lasted as long as I did - but trying to explain it in interviews if the "why did you leave your last job" question came up. I came close to quitting my last job but remembered that experience and stuck it out while I looked for something else and then handed in my notice when I had another job lined up. So my advice would be grit your teeth and look for something else, then quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yup - laid it out to the complete toolbox of dysfunctiobal ostriches aka company management - they didn't want to know that they were facilitating a serious psychopath in the role as a manager- refused to do anything about it - I walked out the door and sued their arses - never went back. Don't regret it at all - best thing I ever did. Wish I had did it sooner if anything.

The psychopath eventually got their come uppance following an audit by the relevant funding body who happily did not fall for the company sponsored bs.

Advertisement