Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever had a delivery person use your mobile number inappropriately?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

OSI wrote: »
    Christ, she's even written her own press release.... Doesn't seem fishy at all.

I'm getting strong attention-seeker vibes off this one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

duffman13 wrote: »
    Just eat doesn't employ staff to deliver, they are a third party service which literally takes the order and sends it to the shop. He's an employee of the takeaway. That said the restaurant shouldn't be suspended but should be notified by the conduct of their driver.

Didnt know that, thought it was the same setup as Deliveroo. I still wouldn't suspend the restaraunt and cause them to lose business over something a staff member was doing of his own accord. They should be made aware and let them deal with it if just eat have no influence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭Tefral

The best response to this whole thing is:

https://twitter.com/Demfeelsbro_/status/953330214389633025

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It wouldn’t be half as bad if the driver wasn’t a creep. If he said something like “Hey, I’m your delivery driver from earlier, would you fancy going for a drink?” It wouldn’t be half as bad as what was said but still inappropriate.

I think just eat should remove the restaurant until the driver is sacked. They also need to add a few 0s to the voucher, maybe a £10,000 voucher would be more appropriate, the actual cost to them for making the food would probably only be half of that or less and good PR.

I actually did something similar by accident about a year ago. I sent “your iPhone is ready to be collected” followed by “I’m running late can I pick you up at half 8“ but saved it with “Sorry, wrong person” straight after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Simple way to avoid it is not get food delivered. Only degenerates get food delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Tefral wrote: »

Except that having a further read of his tweets show that he's actually just a bitter knob who ironically thinks that other people are all just bitter knobs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Except that having a further read of his tweets show that he's actually just a bitter knob who ironically thinks that other people are all just bitter knobs!!

Comes across as a bit of a trolly parody Twitter account too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm hungry now FFS

For Looove...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

GarIT wrote: »
    It wouldn’t be half as bad if the driver wasn’t a creep. If he said something like “Hey, I’m your delivery driver from earlier, would you fancy going for a drink?” It wouldn’t be half as bad as what was said but still inappropriate.

I think just eat should remove the restaurant until the driver is sacked. They also need to add a few 0s to the voucher, maybe a £10,000 voucher would be more appropriate, the actual cost to them for making the food would probably only be half of that or less and good PR.

I actually did something similar by accident about a year ago. I sent “your iPhone is ready to be collected” followed by “I’m running late can I pick you up at half 8“ but saved it with “Sorry, wrong person” straight after.

A £10,000 voucher for a creepy message? I suppose she could comfort eat away the pain until she gets a heart attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Not with a delivery driver but happened to me in the dole office! I signed on for the first time, the man behind the counter said he recognized me from the job I'd just lost as he lived nearby etc. Nice lad, forms filled out etc and at the end he wrote his number on a slip of paper and said to text him if I had any issues with my claim. I threw it in the bin as soon as I left. Got a text not 20 minutes later from a number i didn't know asking what i was up to. Replied asking who it was and he replied "it's X from the SW". I didn't reply. Got a few texts off him that evening asking what I was doing, another text later in the week and a few more over the month, then he stopped. I never once replied. I used to be bricking it going in to sign on in case I saw him again, creeped the fk outta me, i was only 18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I once ordered pizza from a well known pizza place in Tralee. The driver who is a Thai bloke delivers my food. That night I got a call from the delivery drivers number, the conversation went as follows:

Me: "Hello?"
    Him (Australian accent): "Are you gay?"
    Me: "What?"
    Him: "Are you gay?"
    Me: "Who the fúck is this?"
    Him: "Will you fúck my mate? Wilbur? (?)
    Me: "Is this [restaurant name]?"
    Him: "I just want to know if youre gay"

I hung up and the guy left 5 voice mail messages repeating what he was saying.

Rang the pizza place the next day and they initially refused to believe me followed by explaining that the drivers phone must have been stolen.

Ordered again the week later and get the same delivery driver with the same number.

I explained to him what happened and he immediately ran back to his car, seemingly very embarrassed and drove off without even taking my money but leaving the food.

Thank fúck I moved away from that town hah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭gaz wac

I sold an item online and we swapped numbers to meet up to do the switch. all grand. that night I got a txt from him " this is the wan im riding at the mo" with 6 pix of a girl in the nip doing stuff with yer man...I replied " niiiice... enjoy..but how is the car seat working out for you" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Tefral wrote: »

Except it wasn't just a guy sending a girl a text, it was an employee using a customer's personal data for his own personal reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

A £10,000 voucher for a creepy message? I suppose she could comfort eat away the pain until she gets a heart attack.

And for how they handled it. Good PR is worth that sort of money. And it wouldn’t cost them anything near that probably £3k-£4k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

copperhead wrote: »
    it happened to me once, got a takeaway one night
    and delivery guy kept ringing, texting and even knocking
    at the door it was soo intimidating and scary,
    guards were eventually involved !!! shur how was i to know had to pay the delivery driver !!

Guy in a pub rang for a delivery at the take away next door. Delivery guy drove him home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The delivery guy was unprofessional and creepy, not to mention probably violating privacy laws. I think someone else mentioned GDPR already.

Delivery companies may need to give training on how to handle customer data on what is and isn't appropriate usage. You would think it obvious not to use customer data to not contact someone in regards to personal matter, but some people are a bit thick.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Some of the Domino's delivery guys ring me to say that they are outside.
    I go outside, they are not there. Then a car will come crawling up the road looking for the house.

Find house. Ring Doorbell. Boomer answers.

Not.

Ring Boomer, Have Boom stand outside like a plank, wait for delivery guy to get to the door from car. Exchange food und monies.

So the only inappropriate behaviour I've come across is having me stand outside my house like a spare pr*ck for no reason.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Some of the Domino's delivery guys ring me to say that they are outside.
    I go outside, they are not there. Then a car will come crawling up the road looking for the house.

Find house. Ring Doorbell. Boomer answers.

Not.

Ring Boomer, Have Boom stand outside like a plank, wait for delivery guy to get to the door from car. Exchange food und monies.

So the only inappropriate behaviour I've come across is having me stand outside my house like a spare pr*ck for no reason.

They hope you are there naked waiting for them tho, did you not get that memo?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jonnycivic wrote: »
    They hope you are there naked waiting for them tho, did you not get that memo?

Do I have to get fully in the nip or can I just whip it out Louis CK style?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I find the fact that Just Eat doesn't have a complaints department shocking.

How could a company with that much market share NOT have a complaints department?

The 10 euro goodwill is also laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The immediate wrong here was committed by the delivery guy, who abused personal data that had been entrusted to him purely for work purposes, and who did it in a way likely to upset the person whose data it was. If I were the restaurant, I would fire him.

Just Eat cannot fire him, for the reason already pointed out; they don't employ him. But they should certainly make it clear to contracting restaurants that the personal data which Just Eat passes on to them is only to be used by the restaurant and its staff for the purposes for which it is given, that if there are problems around this the restaurant needs to take vigorous action to correct them, and that if this doesn't happen then the restaurant's continuing contract with Just Eat will be called into question.
    100%. They should potentially even maintain some level of internal rating system - restaurants which receive complaints against them have their commission levels raised. Get enough complaints and you get blacklisted.

It's tough for JE though; their income comes from the restaurants, not the customers. They have the market dominance to blacklist now, but competitors could steal market share by mopping up the blacklisted restaurants and JE shoot themselves in the foot.
    beans wrote: »
    JustEat should develop an instant messaging system that both the drivers and customers use exclusively for comms., baked into the app. Mobile phone data breaches would be a thing of the past for most customers.
    As Peregrinus says though, the food is still being delivered in person. The weirdo still has your address if nothing else, which is worse than having your phone number.

The only time I've been called by a restaurant from JE was when they called me to tell me that I'd have to give the delivery driver an extra €2 at the door. Of course they wait 20 minutes before doing this so they know that I'm starving and will comply so I can get my food.
    Called Just Eat to tell them this and they refunded me the delivery cost on the order. Happened a second time and I just stopped using that restaurant.

I wonder how often the kind of creepy **** in the OP does happen though and people just shrug it off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Same thing happened to my missus a few years back when she lived in London. Indian fella as far as I remember. Very similar posting style and creeptastic messages. Told to take a hike and replied back with a torrent of badly written abuse. Wouldn't fcuk off until threatened with the cops.

Slightly concerning when some of these lads have your address, I'm sure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Needs more bobs and vajeen

RobAMerc wrote: »
    If this guy was a handsome model doing deliveries in his spare time, this would be considered a cute story of how he pursued and finally wooed her.

Saw some embittered guy on Twitter make this exact point...

Advertisement