Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed - I show as the director of a dissolved company

Options
  • 16-01-2018 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hello,

I need some advice. If this is the wrong sub thread apologies in advance.

Background:
    • When I was 18 my estranged father reached out to try an make amends
    • It was a bit of a tense time but long story short, he is a smooth talker
    • He had been abroad and had a business idea and wanted to start a ltd company here in Ireland
    • I was convinced to help him set up a ltd company and signed documents
    • The pitch was no money, involvement needed from myself. Just a name on the forms. To be honest I think I was caught up in the moment a little bit and agreed
    • <estranged father does it again, have not seen him since etc etc >

Current Status:
    - its 13 years later, I am settled and set up with my own life
    - I have had no contact since and have no plans to do so again
    - I am looking to apply for a mortgage for my own home after a few years renting
    - Now seemed like the right time to see what happened with this misadventure in case it may affect any application I make for a mortgage
    - A quick search online shows the company was dissolved 3 years later
    - It shows dissolved with liabilities [large liabilities]
    - It was set up as a limited company at the time and from my basic googling I understand these losses are not against those who are listed as directors of the company unless a court judgement is involved (open to correction here)

Query:
    - I know this reads as a large oversight (and it is I know this)
    - The company dissolved in 2012
    - Could this potentially come back against me in the future financially?
    - Any general advice I should be aware of from those in the know?

Many thanks for reading

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Was there a liquidator appointed to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 killer_penguin

Was there a liquidator appointed to it?

Unknown

The only information I am going off is what comes up on google with sites likes Duedil etc

I never heard anything since by phone, post etc also so I am in the dark for lots of the details at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

You being serious/honest and admitting all the details? Why was the co dissolved? As a director the CRO writes to you. Did you ignore letters as a result of late filing and or liquidation? How come you did not learn about this AND have gone from a €25k deposit when buying an apartment to crash and burn in just a year? The dissolved co would have shown up then too.;)

You being serious/honest and admitting all the details?

I am. I do realize this reads badly on my part by turning the blind eye until now.
    Why was the co dissolved?

I would imagine due to debts owed, the fact the father is a chancer and doesn't know what he's been doing are likely reasons. We have not been in contact for many reasons outside of this I would prefer to not go into. I have only seen this information on the free previews these website can provide.
    As a director the CRO writes to you. Did you ignore letters as a result of late filing and or liquidation?

I have never received any post, emails or phone calls from the CRO about anything - ever. My address provided by myself has not changed in the years since I assisted with the creation of the company back then.
    How come you did not learn about this

I am hoping now to go fully though with a mortgage application and realised there might be some questions about something like this. A quick google and a few redirects later I felt it best to gauge the opinion of others here. I am quite out of my depth to be honest with all of this.
    AND have gone from a €25k deposit when buying an apartment to crash and burn in just a year? The dissolved co would have shown up then too.;)

This did not come up when I had the 1st meeting with the bank back then. They simply checked my own account history and savings patterns for those. I did not pursue the application further at the time due to increasing house prices and realizing I would be best saving more of a deposit before returning for a full application.

I felt it best to break up the questions to reply, thanks for reading - any general advice? I feel I might be best getting professional advice from a solicitor for the specifics before I go ahead with the mortgage application again ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Sounds like you should report fraud to the guards. Someone dissolved your company by forging your signature. Also there would have been many years of filings requiring your signature, you got none of these?

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Sounds like you should report fraud to the guards. Someone dissolved your company by forging your signature. Also there would have been many years of filings requiring your signature, you got none of these?

Thanks for the reply. This is not something I would put past the individual involved.

I have no copies of any of the filings whatsoever - completely in the dark. I see on these website info sites I can request some of the documents involved that did get provided for a nominal fee.

The concern these replies are giving means I might lean that way to start. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Three words: see a solicitor.

One with expertise in company law.

You could be an all sorts of trouble with company law, quite apart from financial implications.

I know you were young and stupid back then - but surely they told you in school not to sign stuff you didn't understand.

Three words: see a solicitor.

Agreed - many thanks for the feedback folks. I will go down this route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I am. I do realize this reads badly on my part by turning the blind eye until now.

I would imagine due to debts owed, the fact the father is a chancer and doesn't know what he's been doing are likely reasons. We have not been in contact for many reasons outside of this I would prefer to not go into. I have only seen this information on the free previews these website can provide.

I have never received any post, emails or phone calls from the CRO about anything - ever. My address provided by myself has not changed in the years since I assisted with the creation of the company back then.
    I am hoping now to go fully though with a mortgage application and realised there might be some questions about something like this. A quick google and a few redirects later I felt it best to gauge the opinion of others here. I am quite out of my depth to be honest with all of this.
    This did not come up when I had the 1st meeting with the bank back then. They simply checked my own account history and savings patterns for those. I did not pursue the application further at the time due to increasing house prices and realizing I would be best saving more of a deposit before returning for a full application.

I felt it best to break up the questions to reply, thanks for reading - any general advice? I feel I might be best getting professional advice from a solicitor for the specifics before I go ahead with the mortgage application again ..

Still does not make sense. Liquidator/CRO would have made contact with you by mail on several occasions The liquidator has to make a statutory return; you say there was there was a shortfall, so Revenue would have been involved, etc. etc. What you say simply does not add up.
    Get copies of the last returns and what is on the CRO filings, then go with them to a solicitor. Should you want to become a director in the future you would be in a world of trouble, so sort it out now. And be honest /up-front with the lawyer, don't dripfeed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Thread closed at request of OP

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement