Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adapter type

Options
  • 16-01-2018 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

What can of adapter do i need for this midland cb radio?, It has the bottom polarity which seems rare.:confused:

2z5npf7.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That diagram doesn't make sense. On a DC jack there's only two polarity options, how can there be four?

Try the accessory rack in any large electrical store for an AC adapter with a sliding switch for voltages (usually 3/6/9/12) and another switch to alternate the polarity of the jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

what didn't make sense about it?
    The bottom one as in ,
    this one

11hgbcl.png

What adapter do I need?
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭thecribber

There is no difference electricialy between the top one and the bottom one. There is also no difference between the other two. The top and bottom ones are far from rare, tip positive applies on the vast majority of power supplies using this type of plug.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There just mirror images of each other. You can pick up a variable output power supply with various size barrel plugs that you can flip to get what polarity you need in the likes of Maplin.

https://www.maplin.ie/p/6w-multi-voltage-acdc-power-supply-xx09k

thecribber wrote: »
    There is no difference electricialy between the top one and the bottom one. There is also no difference between the other two. The top and bottom ones are far from rare, tip positive applies on the vast majority of power supplies using this type of plug.

If I buy a 12 volt adapter with this symbol on it will it be ok to use.

14eamux.png

• Advertisement

This is the actual CB radio.
    11gol76.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

UrbanFret wrote: »
    This is the actual CB radio.
    11gol76.jpg

Positive inside is far more common than the other.What you need to watch is the amps/ma a higher rating is ok,but lower isn't.You will find them in Mr price with swappable tips or eBay.Maplin can be expensive for them but they are better quality.

The Mr price ones are usually only good up to 1 amp.You will find ones on eBay with the correct tip up to 3 amps but you will need to know the correct mm.

Would this one be ok?

2n74ebn.jpg

The voltage and polarity are correct but is there a wattage or amps number on the radio or the existing (presumably broken) power adapter? That AC adapter will deliver up to 36W.

• Advertisement

Would this one be ok?

2n74ebn.jpg

Looks good to me.Rarely would you find something over 3 amps @ 12 volts.Is there anything on the device that shows amps/ma?

The only other hurdle is size.2.1mm or 2.5mm did ya try plugging it in?

coylemj wrote: »
    The voltage and polarity are correct but is there a wattage or amps number on the radio or the existing (presumably broken) power adapter? That AC adapter will deliver up to 36W.

Cant see it if there is. There is a battery pack which takes 8 AA batterys, I dont have the original adapter im afraid. thanks for helping.

magentis wrote: »
    Looks good to me.Rarely would you find something over 3 amps @ 12 volts.Is there anything on the device that shows amps/ma?

The only other hurdle is size.2.1mm or 2.5mm did ya try plugging it in?

The adapter jack will fit. I'll chance it . Thanks for the help.;)

The adapter jack will fit. I'll chance it . Thanks for the help.;)

It's the correct voltage and polarity.Higher amp rating on the psu than the device requires is fine.Its in the opposite situation when you get problems.

magentis wrote: »
    It's the correct voltage and polarity.Higher amp rating on the psu than the device requires is fine.Its in the opposite situation when you get problems.

ran it for an hour last night on that PSU. No problems that I am aware of. That power supply is off a gigablue hd1 satellite receiver, they are very reliable in my experience. The reason for my concern was the local chapel broadcast mass on CB channel 14 for the elderly and infirm who can no longer make it to the chapel. I didn't want to leave it with someone if there was a risk it might overheat or burn out. ;)

You said that the radio can run off 8 x AA batteries so that power adapter will be able to deliver the required power (and a lot more) no problem. As magentis said, as long as you have an adapter than can deliver more than the required power, you're good to go. If it was under spec'd, it would overheat and you'd have a fire risk.

Advertisement