Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self driving cars

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I mean, being able to read or sleep when in your own vehicle sounds great but I'm a bit of a fraidy cat and would be stressing out ready to grab the wheel

There are too many drivers on the roads who already do the reading and sleeping thing. :mad: Fortunately, they're the ones who will be taken off the roads first, either by choice (who wants to drive when you can text and facebook instead?) or by force (over the speed/alcohol limit? - instant ban, you will never drive again, and no, you can't use "oh but I need my licence for for work" as an excuse any more, because there's an iCar app for that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

defrule wrote: »
    I agree on the insurance point for people who drive themselves. Insurance will likely price people out of driving themselves.

There are other factors that might come into play. The thought is that self driving cars will start out as fleets of taxis. These taxis won't need parking because once it finishes your journey, it can go pick up someone else. It is likely parking spaces in the city will be repurposed as empty parking lots don't generated profit . . .
    This. Even privately-owned self-driving cars will have different parking needs, since once it has dropped you off at your destination your car can go and park somewhere some distance away. You can summon it back when you need it. Huge amounts of streetspace, currently devoted to providing storage for private cars while they are not being used, can be opened up to more useful purposes like extra bus lanes, extra cycle lanes, wider footpaths or even extra traffic lanes. Ofice blocks, shopping centres, etc will be designed with large drop off/pick up areas at the entrances because, increasingly, the norm will be people being dropped off and picked up; not driving around looking for an adjacent parking space and then walking the final stage of the journey to the destination.

A human-driven car, of course, would still need to be parked somewhere reasonably close to the destination of the human's journey, but human drivers can expect to pay more and more for the privilege.

Advertisement