Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No flooding in Salthill

Options
  • 17-01-2018 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Fyi, there isn't any flooding nor was there ever going to be in Salthill today. However, the council in their 'wisdom' decided to close off the prom road since yesterday evening and for some reason seem to be just keeping it closed for today. You can't win... They don't react when it's necessary and then overreact when no action is necessary at all, as if to try to compensate for their cockup a few weeks ago...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Coffee%2BMug%2B-%2BFar%2BSide%2BDamned%2Bif%2BYou%2BDo%2BDont_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Better safe than sorry I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Subtle wrote: »
    Fyi, there isn't any flooding nor was there ever going to be in Salthill today. However, the council in their 'wisdom' decided to close off the prom road since yesterday evening and for some reason seem to be just keeping it closed for today. You can't win... They don't react when it's necessary and then overreact when no action is necessary at all, as if to try to compensate for their cockup a few weeks ago...

What do you base that pearl of wisdom on? Did you look at the tide tables? Did you see a forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Odelay

If you were so were so certIn it wasn't going to flood why didn't you post this yesterday? Why come on here after the fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,602 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mini Girl is no doubt dissappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

There's always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

People complain when there's flooding, and people complain when there isn't. Make up your bloody minds!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Subtle

?Cee?view wrote: »
    What do you base that pearl of wisdom on? Did you look at the tide tables? Did you see a forecast?

Yes and yes! And it will make folk laugh here but I honestly assumed last night that the council had closed the road to do planned road works!! I only realised this morning that they had a load of flood signs up at the closure points!!!

I did notice RTE news making noises about storm Fionn yesterday afternoon but from briefly looking at the weather forecasts at the time it didn't seem of interest to here. There certainly didn't seem to be anything to indicate that flooding in the Salthill area was a real possibility.

I'm not living in Galway city long myself but if I and people I know here have a good feel for whether flooding is a 'real' possibility, then one wonders why the council with all their years of expertise don't. And I know people will probably jump on me about the 'feel' thing here, but a lot of things in life come down to making a good judgement based on all the info available. It just seems that the council seem to continually demonstrate poor judgement.

With the last floods, I would have forgiven the council for not closing off flood-prone areas in Salthill, had they been prepared on the day to do so at short notice if required since flooding was clearly a very strong possibility (in fact inevitable according to some locals!). But this was far from the case on the day and it was the Gardai who eventually had to step in and close off roads.

Likewise, if they really wanted to close off roads last night (so as to try to compensate for the backlash last time!), then they should have made some effort to reopen them this morning BEFORE rush hour! I wouldn't be raising the issue here had they done that, even if I do believe there was no justification for closing the road in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

High tide was due at around 1700 yesterday wasn't it? Hard to avoid rush hour in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

... And I know people will probably jump on me about the 'feel' thing here, but a lot of things in life come down to making a good judgement based on all the info available.

High tide was 5 metres (which is a very big tide) and winds were forecast west or south westerly 7 to 8. There were yellow warnings in place. Classic forecast to flood. The council didn't need to "feel". They had clear evidence of a risk which it would have been negligent to ignore.

That they didn't open the roads in a timely fashion is a completely different issue. Yes, they should have done so.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to get into an argument about what's a big high tide :). Incidentally, I'd have to check but I think the road was still open at 5pm yesterday evening which would have been near high tide. I was presumably it was the high tide this morning that was deemed a flooding risk or else they were very late going about their business!

Regardless, on reflection, it's more the fact that they didn't open the roads in a timely fashion as CV put it that is at the root of my frustration. My original post was actually indirectly intended as a kind of 'there's no flooding - you can ignore the road closure signs' without blatently suggesting this straight out and getting jumped on! And the fact that there was still no sign of the council out yet just got to me at the time!

Road's open now btw! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/830/59/UPDATE-YELLOW-WEATHER-WARNING-IN-PLACE-Wednesday-17th-January/d,News%20Detail
    Thats the rationale behind closing. Fair enough in light of the recent storms and floods .
    Imho there is an element of nannyism in most of the warnings but I guess people are more safety conscious and wary these days than 20/30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Odelay wrote: »
    If you were so were so certIn it wasn't going to flood why didn't you post this yesterday? Why come on here after the fact?

Checkmate.

Yes and yes! And it will make folk laugh here but I honestly assumed last night that the council had closed the road to do planned road works!! I only realised this morning that they had a load of flood signs up at the closure points!!!

I did notice RTE news making noises about storm Fionn yesterday afternoon but from briefly looking at the weather forecasts at the time it didn't seem of interest to here. There certainly didn't seem to be anything to indicate that flooding in the Salthill area was a real possibility.

I'm not living in Galway city long myself but if I and people I know here have a good feel for whether flooding is a 'real' possibility, then one wonders why the council with all their years of expertise don't. And I know people will probably jump on me about the 'feel' thing here, but a lot of things in life come down to making a good judgement based on all the info available. It just seems that the council seem to continually demonstrate poor judgement.

With the last floods, I would have forgiven the council for not closing off flood-prone areas in Salthill, had they been prepared on the day to do so at short notice if required since flooding was clearly a very strong possibility (in fact inevitable according to some locals!). But this was far from the case on the day and it was the Gardai who eventually had to step in and close off roads.

Likewise, if they really wanted to close off roads last night (so as to try to compensate for the backlash last time!), then they should have made some effort to reopen them this morning BEFORE rush hour! I wouldn't be raising the issue here had they done that, even if I do believe there was no justification for closing the road in the first place.

Any further updates on your "feel" on flooding and if the prom should be closed? Just curious on how accurate your feeling is.

'Note to self: Don't take the bait...'

Thanks for that contribution... If you haven't read the whole thread, please do. Otherwise, might I suggest "The slow death of forums..." thread to be more relevant to your interests?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any further updates on your "feel" on flooding and if the prom should be closed? Just curious on how accurate your feeling is.

Flooding would be unlikely with a 4.8m tide but Met Eirann issued an Orange warning so the Council had no choice.

Tonight there will be widespread and heavy showers of rain, hail, sleet and snow, with a risk of thunder. Accumulations of snow are likely, especially over the northern half of the country and mainly over higher ground elsewhere. But showers will ease and become confined to western and northern counties by morning. Westerly winds will be very strong and gusty but along Atlantic coastal counties winds will reach gale force with severe and damaging gusts of up to 120 km/h and a risk of coastal flooding as seas continue to be very high. Lowest temperatures will fall to between -1 and +3 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

no need ti be like that, the OP is dead right to question the council and point out their stupidity so it may never happen again, up to a week before the last big flood the man selling bongs and skins shop down the west end was able to tell neighbouring businesses there was a major risk of flooding and that was just from looking at the BBC website, it's truly shocking that there's no communication lines setup between met eireann and somebody who understands the weather in local councils

Oh god, there's another one

Not sure what you mean. Myself, I was referring to the "hindsight prophets" that pop up after some event claiming to have knowledge it was going to occur beforehand yet when asked before another event "refuse to rise to the bait"

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

Edit: Not sure why you chose to delete your post Discodog, but there's your answer

I agree on the hindsight prophets, but was hoping the poster wasn't one.
    Was really looking forward to discussing their predictions in advance of a possible flooding and the measures that should or should not be put in place.

• Advertisement

I agree on the hindsight prophets, but was hoping the poster wasn't one.
    Was really looking forward to discussing their predictions in advance of a possible flooding and the measures that should or should not be put in place.

For an accurate prediction look here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=374

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579971

Finally check the tide:

https://www.google.ie/search?q=galway+tides&rlz=1C1CHBD_enIE707IE707&oq=galway+tide&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.4520j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Before the usual suspects leap in, these simply steps have accurately predicted flooding in Galway for at least the past 10 years.

Not sure what you mean. Myself, I was referring to the "hindsight prophets" that pop up after some event claiming to have knowledge it was going to occur beforehand yet when asked before another event "refuse to rise to the bait"

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways.

Edit: Not sure why you chose to delete your post Discodog, but there's your answer

I chose to report your post rather than replying to it.

Meow.

Meow.

Another quality response - no wonder we don't have beers anymore :pac:

So strange how the friendliest city can have the nastiest forum

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Discodog wrote: »

We are the friendliest City?

pjohnson wrote: »
    We are the friendliest City?

I moved here 16 years ago & I still think that it's one of the best cities in the World. I think it's very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Every thread is taken off topic anymore by a few agenda ridden posters ranting on about bikes or the council, it's got to the stage people just don't bother looking at this forum as often as they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Every thread is taken off topic anymore by a few agenda ridden posters ranting on about bikes or the council, it's got to the stage people just don't bother looking at this forum as often as they used to.

I love this sentence!

Discodog wrote: »

The little bitching sessions back and forth by the likes of yourself do far more damage than my sarcasm should.

Biko will be along to clean up the mess shortly I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't make people nicer to each other, but I can lock threads

Since the flooding is over now there isn't really much to this thread anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement