Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodder River Greenway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They've started on a path beside the garage at the end of Beech Hill Road/ Beaver Row, beside Harry's Bikes. However, they put in what looks like foundation slabs (and maybe for steps at that!), but haven't done anything else in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They've started on a path beside the garage at the end of Beech Hill Road/ Beaver Row, beside Harry's Bikes. However, they put in what looks like foundation slabs (and maybe for steps at that!), but haven't done anything else in months.

I noticed that actually, got a picture of it on my strava ride. Would be cool if they could do it the whole way down to Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Is it possible to cycle this from Tallaght into close to south of city centre?

Is it possible to cycle this from Tallaght into close to south of city centre?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

You could follow cycle lane from tallaght village towards m50, go down the ramps as if taking m50 overpass but at bottom take a right, it'll bring you out at end of Dodder Valley Park, going left then you can go under m50 and follow rest of route posted previously along Dodder to Aviva, grand canal Dock etc

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    You could follow cycle lane from tallaght village towards m50, go down the ramps as if taking m50 overpass but at bottom take a right, it'll bring you out at end of Dodder Valley Park, going left then you can go under m50 and follow rest of route posted previously along Dodder to Aviva, Gawande canal Dock etc

Thanks. Is it well signposted and away from traffic?

Not signposted as far as I know (tallaght to templeogue cycle bit might be)

It's a mixture really, some is on road marked cycle lane, some is off road cycle lane, some is shared use paths, some is broken surface (I think), some is on road.

Look at the strava link above, you can see it runs mostly alongside the river so keep it in sight and you'll be grand.

Unfortunately that strava link isn't working.

EDIT: working now as I wasn't logged in.

Any idea of distance between Tallaght and Docks?
    Debating whether to walk or cycle it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Finally did this cycle today, and really enjoyed it. Came from Sandyford down the R113 to Bohernabreena, cycled to the Upper Reservoir, then followed the Dodder all the way back into town, and back home via Sandymount, Blackrock, R113 to Sandyford. I'll be doing this again for certain. A few kissing gates to negotiate, but mostly off road which more than compensates for that inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Tallaght to the Docks is about 15 Km depending on where you start.

Firhouse Weir is 13 km to the docks, so take it from there.

Work begins on €5.6 million greenway by the River Dodder
    WORK STARTED TODAY on a multi-million euro greenway by the River Dodder in Dublin.

South Dublin County Council is building three new pedestrian and cycle bridges, 750 metres of new path and 2.6km of upgraded paths.

This phase of the project will cost approximately €5.6 million.

Wish I'd noticed that linked to the journal. Now I've only gone and read the comments section haven't I.

Sorry, forgot the disclaimer!

But sure as long as "all cyclists use it" no matter where they start or end their journey it'll be a resounding success!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Are pedestrians allowed to walk on it safely too? I know it's the cycling forum BTW just wondered.

Sounds amazing.

Wish SDCC would ever hurry up and do the Liffey Linear Way from Chapelizod to Lucan and beyond. The land is there mostly. Anyone know anything more about it.

Are pedestrians allowed to walk on it safely too? I know it's the cycling forum BTW just wondered.

The aim for most of this section is to have 4m wide surfaces, which will be either shared surface (dodder Valley Park) or 2m path and 2m cycle lane (kiltipper Road) etc

Think there are some sections which will be narrower and shared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

(If this is already a live thread, please add me in; I searched and couldn't find one.)

How are people finding the Dodder Greenway's progression? What's the part you most want finished? Any complaints? Any part especially praiseworthy? Any wants and needs on what's existing?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭montac

Hey. I’m incredibly frustrated to see that the kissing gates at the bridge over the Dodder at Balrothery Weir are being kept. That’s my only complaint. Wonder how to have them removed ( without using an angle grinder!)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I presume that the park is under the control of South Dublin Co Co so the first port of call would be your local councillors:

Rathfarnham / Templeogue / Firhouse /Bohernabreena Area Committee

Chair: Councillor Alan Edge

Cllr Carly Bailey

Cllr Pamela Kearns

Cllr David McManus

Cllr Laura Donaghy

Cllr Ronan McMahon

Cllr Yvonne Collins

Cllr Brian Lawlor

Cllr Emma Murphy

Cllr Deirdre O'Donovan

Cllr Lynne McCrave

Cllr Suzanne McEneaney

Tallaght Area Committee

Chair: Councillor Teresa Costello

Cllr Liam Sinclair

Cllr Mick Duff

Cllr Cathal King

Cllr Kieran Mahon

Cllr Charlie O'Connor

Cllr Louise Dunne

Cllr Leah Whelan

Cllr Patrick Pearse Holohan

Cllr Baby Pereppadan

Cllr Dermot Richardson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

What is the overall status of this route? Is it signposted or are sections yet to be complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Depends what you mean 🤣

You 'could' follow that route to get from tallaght to CC but its not along the greenway.

The section along dodder valley is better now they have resurfaced and removed gates, there is a missing section at butterfield, and they are doing the stretch along Dodder View Road now (behind Tesco rathfarnham), but I don't know what's been done below that in the last few years.

From memory you could follow the dodder as far as clonskeagh, but I don't know if anything has been done to make the stretch to donnybrook nicer.

Old Bawn to butterfield done*, butterfield section on road is not done, butterfield to Rathfarnham is half done (park behind Tesco) and in progress along dodder view road.

That's all I'm aware of so currently.

* Council due to start putting in play areas and a linear trail alongside in the next while.

Not much signage about. A few signs would not go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I cycle Dodder View Road on my commute twice a day. What exactly are they doing there? The cycle path on the Dodder side of the road was a nightmare with pedestrians, the opposite side wasn't as bad. Both cycle paths were off the road, from what I've seen so far, it looks like they will be on the road after the works. It's early into the construction, so I could be wrong.

Reduce carriageway width down to 6.5m and form a 4m wide shared surface along the northern side of the carriageway. The existing footpath, cycle track and shared surface along the southern side of the carriageway is to be retained.

That said when I was there over the weekend it doesn't look like there is provision for a cycle path on the southern side of the road. It's looks narrower than before so I can't see it being shared use... And but the plans for that stretch say...

All details on below link for the whole project.

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/southdublin/application-details/52496

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Mod note: threads merged

Lots yet to be completed. It's the Dodder "Mountains to the Sea" route which it's planned eventually to go, I think, from Gleann na Smól to Ringsend and then cross the Liffey to join up with the Clontarf cycle path.

You can cycle down as far as the Firhouse road, come out and cross to Butterfield Road, then Kilvere and go into Bushy Park, and go a fair way down the park before coming out onto the roadway, then keep on and dip back in at Dodder Park, make your way (look at the map for this) to Milltown Park and then go through there to Clonskeagh, down Elm Park and Beaver Row, cross a metal bridge there and go over and across Donnybrook and through to Herbert Park, follow the Dodder along there to Ballsbridge, cross over diagonally and go along the river to Ringsend. You can then (use the map again) get to the path along the south quays and in to the centre. (Others will fill in the bits I describe hazily here.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kilvere to Bushy is currently obstructed to build the new path. You can do it but it means using the pedestrian track and going up the bank. Works eastbound but no go westbound.

Advertisement