Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm without bellbox ?

Options
  • 17-01-2018 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I notice alot of installers are selling alarms (monitored) with just a decoy bell box and no loud siren type bell box. Is normal now?

J

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Yes. Certain companies use decoy boxes, but it's pretty common.

Note that there was an issue with some HKC SABBs and while the strobe lights don't work the bell is live

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

That is correct, they are more interested in your money rather than your security.
    A working wired Bell Box provides another layer of security to intruder alarm systems, or should i say proper ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

kub wrote: »
    That is correct, they are more interested in your money rather than your security.
    A working wired Bell Box provides another layer of security to intruder alarm systems, or should i say proper ones.

yeah even though the system is monitored, this only triggers once they get in the house. I'd would want a loud alarm to spook them and at least deter them from continuing the break in and extra damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Generally a company that will only do a dummy bell are also a company that will.....not protect the perimeter of your home....plug the panel into a socket...tie you into a long contract and will remove the equipment as soon as you stop paying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

plug the panel into a socket...

Good point, never thought of this. If the burglar can simply plug out the alarm ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

jon1981 wrote:
    Good point, never thought of this. If the burglar can simply plug out the alarm ...

That is only the start of it.
    I will say no more, I don't want to be giving people ideas on a public forum

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Their whole idea was to make you rely on the monitoring. After all its harder to cancel your monitoring if your outside bell doesn't work.
    Then they came up with a better idea... Cancel your monitoring and your whole alarm stops working.
    When you put the internet & people who are easily parted with their money together companies like this thrive.

Advertisement