Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a career change but don't know what to do

Options
  • 17-01-2018 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advise as I'm at a bit of a loss.

I did a degree in social science and have been working in homeless services for about four years. I worked a few different roles and really enjoy working with people.

However I've issues with my mental health and it has been getting worse over the past year. The stress of working in homeless services has made this even worse and I now have to move out of the sector.

The only thing is that I haven't a clue where to look at as an alternative career.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what I could start looking at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

What sort of roles have you worked in? Counselling? Receptionist? Cleaner? Policy maker?
    I'm just asking because you say you want to change career, but it's not clear what your career is.

If you were in some form of counselling role, a different sector may be worth considering. Maybe a career in occupational health would fit the bill.

You might consider receiving some form of counselling to help you meet the demands of working with people who have problems. Because, those kind of jobs are meant to be the most rewarding. If you end up working in the desk of a car rental company, you might find that not only are clients a huge pain in the ass (so the job is stressful for other reasons) but you'll feel like you are not making a difference which can also be a cause of stress.

Advertisement