Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax Q

Options
  • 17-01-2018 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

not sure if this is the right forum but am wondering what to do, we have an old house not livable at present but intend to work on it over the summer to hopefully get it to that stage in the next year of two anyways. It wasn't registered for property tax but when it is finished how do we go about registering it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭VonBeanie

I think that unless the property was habitable in 2013, its exempt until 2019. Call Revenue -they are usually helpful and knowledgeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

VonBeanie wrote: »
    I think that unless the property was habitable in 2013, its exempt until 2019. Call Revenue -they are usually helpful and knowledgeable.

Our house wasn't habitable in 2013 but we still had to pay property tax from 2015 once the sale was closed.

From Revenue.ie

"A property is liable for Local Property Tax (LPT) if it is a residential property on the valuation date of 1 May 2013.
    A 'residential property' is any building (or part of a building) which is used as, or is suitable for use as, a dwelling. LPT does not apply to development sites or farmland.
    A property that is not occupied and is suitable for use as a dwelling is still a liable property for LPT."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Our house wasn't habitable in 2013 but we still had to pay property tax from 2015 once the sale was closed.

Who told you that you "had" to pay Property Tax? A solicitor or a Revenue official?

The op's house would fall under the term of a residential property as did mine so is liable for property tax.

• Advertisement

Turnipman wrote: »
    Who told you that you "had" to pay Property Tax? A solicitor or a Revenue official?

Revenue

The op's house would fall under the term of a residential property as did mine so is liable for property tax.

That is a big call for the OP. If the property meets the definition for being subject to LPT, then that liability would exist for all years since 2013, and not just from when renovations are complete. I would get an opinion from Revenue on the specific case of the OP's property.

Not if it isn't currently habitable.

The OP should take photos of the house (and date them) before undertaking any renovation work so they can prove to Revenue that it wasn't habitable prior to the work being done.

Well I can only speak from experience with a house that was abandoned for 5 years & gutted, no electricity or water (or even plumbing or wiring for those services), broken windows, damp, no kitchen or bathroom, basically just 4 wall & a roof but we still had to pay property tax from 2015, we only moved into the house last August as the house wasn't habitable until then.

Well I can only speak from experience with a house that was abandoned for 5 years & gutted, no electricity or water (or even plumbing or wiring for those services), broken windows, damp, no kitchen or bathroom, basically just 4 wall & a roof but we still had to pay property tax from 2015, we only moved into the house last August as the house wasn't habitable until then.

Citizens Information website:-

"Unoccupied and uninhabitable properties

If a residential property is suitable for use as a dwelling but is unoccupied, it is liable for LPT.

However, if the property is not suitable for use as a dwelling, it is not liable for LPT and you do not need to make an LPT return. If you think that your property is not suitable for use as a dwelling and it is not being lived in, you must notify Revenue as soon as possible after receiving your LPT return. You must also include relevant supporting documentation, for example, an engineer’s report. Revenue will consider your claim and make a decision using the documentation you provide."

• Advertisement

Like I said I can only speak from experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

I also bought an uninhabitable property in 2015 which I have since brought back into use. I’m exempt from LPT till 2020. The previous owner declared it as uninhabitable before I purchased

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

My Mam was in the same situation with my Grans house - she provided photos to the Revenue showing that the property was uninhabitable and they provided her a letter saying she didn't have to pay it until 2019.

Advertisement