Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To plant or wait (weeping willow)

Options
  • 17-01-2018 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just ordered a weeping willow (Salix Babylonica Pendula) that on delivery will be 2m in height and in a pot. We have a large site with a water source so the site itself should be suitable, what I didn't bear in mind was when best to plant (ordered as a bday present for herself so a bit of a rushjob).

Am I as well to plant it or keep it indoors and well watered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No definitely not indoors. Stand it outside in a sheltered spot so it doesn't get blown over. If the weather continues very cold you could wrap the pot in some sack or dig a hole and drop pot and all in just to protect it from freezing solid, but it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

looksee wrote: »
    No definitely not indoors. Stand it outside in a sheltered spot so it doesn't get blown over. If the weather continues very cold you could wrap the pot in some sack or dig a hole and drop pot and all in just to protect it from freezing solid, but it should be fine.

Thank you for that, when would it be suitable for planting? I have a nice little lake that will provide everything it should want (hopefully) although it is quite exposed!

I understand not to have it near buildings etc as the roots are quite adventurous, fortunately, I have that space to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sometime over the next couple of months would be best, but if it is in a pot you can plant it anytime. I think I would be inclined to wait till after this cold snap though.

Advertisement