Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yosemite?

Options
  • 17-01-2018 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Looking at booking a driving trip around California for 10-12 days in October and want to fit in Yosemite. Just a few Qs - Would 2 nights be enough? Where's the best/cheapest accommodation closest to the park and what are the must see features? There's a lot of conflicting info online so thought I'd ask ye lot who have never steered me wrong in the past :D

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d give 3 nights, that’s 2 full days, so one day around the main touristy area that I can’t think of the name of right now which has some nice walks and trails and then maybe a full day off somewhere else like tulomne meadow. I stayed in a hotel/motel just outside the park and it was perfect for us.
    If your tight on time 2 nights would do but it’s a beautiful place and you will want to go back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Il be no help accommodation wise, I drove up and down from the Bay Area in one day. Madness looking back. It’s so beautiful there and it was worth the drive. The view at clouds rest is incredible
    Have a great trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

When I was there a good while ago, drove from San Francisco to Las Vegas South bound and back to San Francisco North bound so a complete circle, no plans or itinerary, just driving and stopping, Paid to get into Yosemite walked around for a few hours, drove out and stayed in the small town outside it, in Mari-Posa lodge, A clean motel with hot tub and swimming pool, It was September and not too busy.

https://www.yosemite.com/lodging/hotels/mariposa-lodge/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Thanks for the advice so far. I found cheap accommodation in Midpines which is about 45 minute from Yosemite valley. Would it make sense to book somewhere this far away? I.E is driving the best way to see Yosemite or would I be better paying the extra cash to get somewhere inside the park that I could walk from? Hope I'm making sense!

Duff wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice so far. I found cheap accommodation in Midpines which is about 45 minute from Yosemite valley. Would it make sense to book somewhere this far away? I.E is driving the best way to see Yosemite or would I be better paying the extra cash to get somewhere inside the park that I could walk from? Hope I'm making sense!

Oh you’ll need to drive, it’s enormous. You need to see how much time you have and then decide what you can fit in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Yosemite valley is the main touristy valley and you can see many of the main sights from there in 2 days but if you have time you should try hit the high country for a hike if possible.

Are you 45 mins from Yosemite valley? That should be fine.

Yep, the accommodation is circa 45mins from Yosemite Valley. I'd like to get a hike in, but it's not a necessity if you can drive to all the main sights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

If you’re out that way, try and find time to visit Bodie, a ghost town about an hour the far side of Yosemite. Well worth a visit.

A couple of places to stay - Groveland (on the road from the Bay Area, about 30 minutes before the park) or Lee Vining (far side of the park. Handy if you do end up going to Bodie).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Yep, the accommodation is circa 45mins from Yosemite Valley. I'd like to get a hike in, but it's not a necessity if you can drive to all the main sights?

If you don't mind crowds you can walk and drive around d Yosemite valley and see loads. Maybe October won't be crowded. I was there in June or July so it was nice to get away into the wilderness.

Do you look into staying in Yosemite valley?

You can park up in a lot in the valley and walk or I think even catch a bus to the main sights but don’t go that far without doing even a short hike you will regret it. Although check out what’s running at that time of year because some facilities may be closed or open just weekends (I’m guessing here but best to check)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

+1 for making it 3 nights.

Be aware that a car pays $70 per entry, so if you are staying outside you might consider that in your budget. Accommodation in the park is pricey and needs to be booked well, well in advance.

Also consider getting the NWPS annual pass at $80 for discounts at Yosemite and other Nation Parks. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm#CP_JUMP_5088574

Mariposa is good with a 75min drive to the Park center.

Also be aware of winter season when a lot of places close down. The months can vary a good bit. Stayed in Lee Vinning at the end of Sept and half the place was closed and the bar shut at 9 shop at 9.30 but the gas station was open later til 12 iirc.

If you are on a road trip and plan on going through the park to or from Death Valley for instance there's plenty to see to the east: Tioga Pass, Bodie Ghost Town, Mammoth Lakes, June Lakes.

Have a search here and in the main Travel forum as some of us have written useful stuff about the general area. Filter for my username, InTheTrees and iusedtoknow as well.

Lastly, watch out as it can get cold up there at nights. Oh and bears; be careful.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Mono Lake near Lee Vining is beautiful too, and an interesting spot to visit !
    It's well worth getting the yearly National Parks pass (Beautiful America or something ?) if Yosemite isn't the only place you're going to.
    We took the Tioga pass a day after it opened last June (30th June or 1st July) it was jam packed with people especially around the meadows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

was there last september stayed 4 nights in the Yosemite lodge was a bit pricey , but didn't mind as the places outside the park are a bit of a drive , and it's on windy mountain roads with people either not used to mountain roads or looking at views so it will take along time to get in and out each day. Depends on your patience and what you want to do each day , staying in the valley suited me big time and the extra cost negated the traffic going in and out , be careful on Tioga pass driving in october it will probably be closed . Would defo give the place 3 nights especially if you are hiking

did following walks unreal

Panorama Trail
    Cathedral Lakes
    valley loop

Loved the place .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Tioga pass opening times just in case.
    It seems like it's generally open in October, but there have been years when it closed early.
    https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

Cheers for all the help, guys. I'll discuss the accommodation situation with my o/h and go from there. I think 3 nights is the way to go from the sounds of things as I don't wanna rush the place and it seems like there's so much to see. Thanks again :)

Advertisement