Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sugru clearance @ Woodies (66% off)

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd say 90% of what I've used it on has been repairing car bits! Great stuff. Only want black though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

Great price. If you bulk buy, store in the fridge and it'll extend the shelf life past the use by date by a large amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bought a pack of it once, biggest waste of money ever.

Even at that price, it's still just a novelty that will end up in the bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Steve wrote: »
    Bought a pack of it once, biggest waste of money ever.

Even at that price, it's still just a novelty that will end up in the bin.

Well that went down like a lead balloon :'(

And I was so looking forward to getting some...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Well that went down like a lead balloon :'(

And I was so looking forward to getting some...

Google it, regular silicon sealer and cornflower does the same job ( I think, can't remember but is something like that) ... fraction of the cost

Edit:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Make-Your-Own-Sugru-Substitute/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Google it, regular silicon sealer and cornflower does the same job ( I think, can't remember but is something like that) ... fraction of the cost

Edit:

Is that the mixture that the Irish lady who invented Sugru used?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I find it fantastic. Had loads of uses for it already, headphone hooks, drawer closer with magnet, hole sealer, wire organiser etc etc. Will definitely pick up some at those prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Edit:

Dear god man.

All that effort, mess, hassle to save about two quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Is that the mixture that the Irish lady who invented Sugru used?

She originally used sawdust and regular silicone then got some chemists involved.

Sugru is apparently a mixture of talc, silicone, silane and other ingredients to improve adhesion.

The DIY oogoo or oogrue whatever you'd like to call it doesn't have the adhesion of sugru which might be advantageous for moulding things.

'Regular' silicone releases acetic acid which stinks and can be corrosive to things its attached to, also has poor adhesion especially to pvc.

Its been on my to do list to try a neutral curing silicone with a little silane/siloxane concrete sealant mixed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

You won't need this stuff until you need it, then it might come in very handy. I had a leaking copper cylinder which I needed to seal until I'd the time and inclination to take it out and replace it. I tried chemical metal etc to seal a small leak in the cylinder and had given up on hoping to patch it up when I read about someone patching up a leaking electric kettle with this stuff. I gave sugru a go more in vain hope than expectation and it did the job very well and a few months later it's still holding the leak at bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

tryfix wrote: »
    You won't need this stuff until you need it, then it might come in very handy. I had a leaking copper cylinder which I needed to seal until I'd the time and inclination to take it out and replace it. I tried chemical metal etc to seal a small leak in the cylinder and had given up on hoping to patch it up when I read about someone patching up a leaking electric kettle with this stuff. I gave sugru a go more in vain hope than expectation and it did the job very well and a few months later it's still holding the leak at bay.

Hmmm I'm still not convinced!?
    It might make me lazy 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I've used it to strengthen my earphones at the jack and ear connections and made hooks and hoops for my remotes which now hang on the side of my tv unit. I made a table holder for one of the kids so they can watch their tablets in bed. The stuff is great but I do question the strength of the adhesion sometimes, I suppose it depends on the amount you use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Best to ring before going down to any of these stores. For example, Woodies Nass road have none in stock. The website has '1' in stock for everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The DIY route of cornflour/silicone stinks to high heavens, for days.
    The proper Sugru has some fancy chemical added to it, that would score bonus points on Countdown™.

Saying that, it's successful for some things (turning any basic headphones into better passive-nr molded headphones),
    but not for others e.g. didn't last a crack as additional grips on my pair of hiking boots. Amzn also do regular sales on this.

Various other 'hacks' for this stuff include:

Creating grip on coat hangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Thanks OP, had not read the comment until now, but just picked up three packs of 3x single use for €1 per pack in store.

EDITED

Best Before 02 AUG 2017 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Suckit wrote: »
    Best Before 02 AUG 2018 :(

Store it in the fridge.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Store it in the fridge.

Going to do that now, but i was not even aware that it had a best before date.
    It is 5½ months past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Going to do that now, but i was not even aware that it had a best before date.
    It is 5½ months past.

So 2017, not 2018?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    So 2017, not 2018?
    Yep, sorry...

:o:o

Wasn't thinking, didn't realise i wrote 2018. It is also "Use By" not best before.

One of them is Use By May 2018

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Edit:

:pac: Thanks Steve
    Dear god man.

All that effort, mess, hassle to save about two quid.

Welcome to Bargain Alerts Former :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭long_b

Just checked mine bight a few weeks ago. 01 Jan 2018

Just checked mine bought a few weeks ago. 01 Jan 2018

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The use befofe date for sugru badly caught me out, had quite a stock from 2013 that all went out of date and was useless. Not worth stocking up on it ever in my opinion, just buy if something comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

Picked up a load today, it's all down to 47c now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

None left on the woodies website :( All the links are dead and a search for Sugru gives back nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Are they, no longer going to stock it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Water John wrote: »
    Are they, no longer going to stock it?

I tried in Woodies Kinsale Road Cork last Thursday. None on the shelf and according to a member of staff they are no longer going to stock it.

baldshin wrote: »
    Picked up a load today, it's all down to 47c now.

Did you check the use by date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

Did you check the use by date?

Yup, all March this year. Some were out of date but I left them behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

None left in Carrickmines or Sandyford, staff member said that was the end of it as they won't be restocking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I did a little bit of research, and it appears that B&Q might be the main Sugru stockist according to their website, so maybe that's why Woodies are not going to stock it anymore.

https://sugru.com/stockists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Reduced from 12 euros to 47 cents ! Woodies Kilkenny. I spent 15euros and saved over 350 euro ! They said they are not stocking them anymore. (All were use by May18) Get them and stop me from cleaning out another store ! Now i just need to find things to use them! ( very handy to fix seals though on my classic car)

starter-kit.jpeg

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Reduced from 12 euros to 47 cents ! Woodies. I spent 15euros and saved over 350 euro ! They said they are not stocking them anymore. Get them and stop me from cleaning out another store ! Now i just need to find things to use them!

starter-kit.jpeg

But this thread is ...

Never mind

Reduced from 12 euros to 47 cents ! Woodies Kilkenny. I spent 15euros and saved over 350 euro ! They said they are not stocking them anymore. (All were use by May18) Get them and stop me from cleaning out another store ! Now i just need to find things to use them! ( very handy to fix seals though on my classic car)

Let me know if you can't find a use for them all, I'd take a couple off you ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

If you've bought a good few, they last longer if kept in the fridge. That's what their site says anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭joxers25

Stacks in woddies navan

Can't find it anywhere South Dublin so if anybody happens to see any in their local Woodies, would appreciate if you could buy it for me and I'll pay you for it.
    Tx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Bought online for collection in woodies tallaght.

Guy at desk was on hold, staring into middle distance. Idea of being able to both deal with my enquiry and do nothing while on hold seemed beyond him.

Eventually another worker came along, who didn't really know what to do, but I THINK asked the middle distance starer.

I waited about another 5 minutes of staring before asking "what am I doing here"? Is there something happening? Starer mumbled something about the warehouse. But genuinely, mumbled and didn't look at me.

Waited another 10 minutes, nothing said. No apologies about delay. No explanation as to what was happening. Nothing. I overheard a few exchanges over their bluetooth comms which seemed to indicate someone was looking for some, which begs the question, wtf is their online store for?

I got sick of the inhumanity of it all, asked if they did refunds. Mumbly staring guy said yeah. I said grand, refund it the **** up so and walked away. No apology nothing. Witless baboon. I don't mind people being **** - but being **** without basic human communication skills is unforgivable. Strongly wording lettering the fúck outta mumbly mcfúcking ignorey. Jaysus.

Advertisement