Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

about the seaside equity for disabled people

Options
  • 17-01-2018 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone,
    there is a urgent topic for the discussion. Have you ever seen any any wheelchair/pushchair person on the Irish beaches? What about people with the other disabilities, for example with the autism? Have you tried to push a baby carriage on the sand surface? If you are an elder person will you able to go for a mile to the sea during the low tide? Do these people have any wishes to visit the beaches like the healthy people with their families, don't they? Have you thought that a lot of disabled people living on the seaside have never washed themselves by the fresh sea water? Have they been taxpayers as well? Why have they been refused for?
    I am going to set up a self-service with sea water showers, changing rooms and loungers, and sun sheds for disabled and elder people, children, and families with babies. I have been preparing a business plan for and I need your piece of advice about. I need to know what kind of financial sources may I apply for because I have not find any reasonable response so far. For example, in Russia the County Councils support the service. If I ask the County Council authorities they give a refer to the local enterprise office and there I will be referred to the local company that engaged in the back to work program. There I would referred to ... I tried to ask the local Health Service Exclusive and was referred to ... the local enterprise office....
    I would appreciate any pieces of advice how to cope with and I would like to ask you to tell your opinion about the need of the service in Ireland.
    Thank you.
    Boris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there. I've moved your thread from Forum Requests to a forum better suited to the topic.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you got any research showing demand for this sort of service from people who use mobility aids (wheelchairs etc)? That they would prefer the HSE to fund beach access over other recreation options?

As regards baby-carriages: people I know who want to take babies to the seaside just carry the baby. I don't think you would be solving a problem for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

If the council's were to pay for such facilities it wouldn't start via a business man wishing to sell them it would start at the other end - with the council deciding to pursue the idea at a formal level.

You need to get a group together to advocate with local councils for such facilities. The council would then vote/choose to pursue it and allocate a budget. There would then be a tender process for the design, probably a separate tender for the build and quite like a third for the operation.

I would note that such facilities don't exist in Ireland for the ablebodied and I have never heard of any great demand for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sapulid

Thank you

Hi there. I've moved your thread from Forum Requests to a forum better suited to the topic.

tHB

Thank you

• Advertisement

Have you got any research showing demand for this sort of service from people who use mobility aids (wheelchairs etc)? That they would prefer the HSE to fund beach access over other recreation options?

As regards baby-carriages: people I know who want to take babies to the seaside just carry the baby. I don't think you would be solving a problem for them.

I have visited the Sligo Wheelchair Society in order to ask members about and I have collected no signatures so far.All of them were excited about the opportunity
    so I started the business plan. The similar business exists in Russia even in Siberia (!) and it spreads over the Russian regions.

Why not to take a sea water shower for 5 minutes at any time during your walking with a baby? It is very healthful for moms and babies as well. Now you have to take a car to go to the beach with the baby even for 5 minutes. Why? Does it make any sense If you live close to the beach? You will have to prepare for the trip much longer than stay there.:)

If the council's were to pay for such facilities it wouldn't start via a business man wishing to sell them it would start at the other end - with the council deciding to pursue the idea at a formal level.

You need to get a group together to advocate with local councils for such facilities. The council would then vote/choose to pursue it and allocate a budget. There would then be a tender process for the design, probably a separate tender for the build and quite like a third for the operation.

I would note that such facilities don't exist in Ireland for the ablebodied and I have never heard of any great demand for them.

First of all, thank you for your response.
    OK. A good piece of advice. I can get the group and collect the necessary signatures for and I am not sure about the next fairy tenders. Do I have to explain you how the Irish authorities make their choice? They have got too much of hungry relatives.:D I really want to help disabled people but I need money as well. I am not a rich person so I intend to set up the business. This your way does not suit me.
    I am mostly interested in a government programme in order to avoid the local problems and I do not waist time at every County Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think your problem will be the location.

Most Irish beaches do not have path or track for people with limited mobility to access the beach.
    Even parking is often far back from the sea.

So unless you can get people to the beach, they will not be able to access your services.

Though services for the elderly can only be a growing market.

beauf wrote: »
    I think your problem will be the location.

Most Irish beaches do not have path or track for people with limited mobility to access the beach.
    Even parking is often far back from the sea.

So unless you can get people to the beach, they will not be able to access your services.

Though services for the elderly can only be a growing market.

You know, that is not really. There are a lot of beaches with parking so it is easy to set up there my service.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

sapulid wrote: »
    You know, that is not really. There are a lot of beaches with parking so it is easy to set up there my service.

My point was about beach access not parking. It's quite different.

Perhaps you could survey your target customers with what beaches they use.

Advertisement