Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a 2nd-hand CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) Tesla from the UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

yannakis wrote: »
    Is there a difference between the CCS upgrade and using adaptors like this one?

IoyWPoDm.png

You have to get the CCS refit done and then you can use the adapter in the photo. It’s not one or the other.

staples7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the above, would Tesla uk share pics of the actual cars if requested?

About 3-4 days after you put down the deposit, you’ll be sent a link to about 30-40 photos of the car highlighting any scuffs or cosmetic damage along with two 360 degree views showing the outside and inside of the car. In my case, it wasn’t always obvious from the photos where the damage was and they weren’t visible from the videos but the salesman was able to provide more information on request.

You are more or less buying the car on the strength of those photos and videos. I think you can still reject the car on the day of delivery and get a refund, you’ll just have wasted your own time and money getting there. In my experience, getting that refund takes about a month of constant chasing.
    If anyone has a good contact in Tesla uk regards the cpos would be great full for a pm :)

From my (aborted) experience, one guy (Pieter Rust) singlehandedly looks after all of Tesla UK used car sales and he’s not based in the UK. If he’s out of the office, expect radio silence. There is no one else you can deal with until you’ve committed to buying the car and they hand you over to the delivery team.

Edit: the thread title should be renamed. Tesla don’t sell CPO cars any more, they sell used cars. The practical difference is that the cars aren’t as refurbished as they used to be. They are mechanically checked as much as possible, they are cleaned and any cosmetic damage is disclosed to you. If they’re out of warranty, you are given a new warranty. If you don’t buy the car from Tesla, you can buy this warranty separately from Allianz under very specific circumstances (private sale and warranty bought before the OEM warranty expires).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭staples7

Did you end up purchasing another or did that put you off completely?

Seems as this guy had a similar experience to yours

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=247&t=1822714

Any idea of the warranty situation with Tesla ireland?

markpb wrote: »
    You have to get the CCS refit done and then you can use the adapter in the photo. It’s not one or the other.

About 3-4 days after you put down the deposit, you’ll be sent a link to about 30-40 photos of the car highlighting any scuffs or cosmetic damage along with two 360 degree views showing the outside and inside of the car. In my case, it wasn’t always obvious from the photos where the damage was and they weren’t visible from the videos but the salesman was able to provide more information on request.

You are more or less buying the car on the strength of those photos and videos. I think you can still reject the car on the day of delivery and get a refund, you’ll just have wasted your own time and money getting there. In my experience, getting that refund takes about a month of constant chasing.

From my (aborted) experience, one guy (Pieter Rust) singlehandedly looks after all of Tesla UK used car sales and he’s not based in the UK. If he’s out of the office, expect radio silence. There is no one else you can deal with until you’ve committed to buying the car and they hand you over to the delivery team.

Edit: the thread title should be renamed. Tesla don’t sell CPO cars any more, they sell used cars. The practical difference is that the cars aren’t as refurbished as they used to be. They are mechanically checked as much as possible, they are cleaned and any cosmetic damage is disclosed to you. If they’re out of warranty, you are given a new warranty. If you don’t buy the car from Tesla, you can buy this warranty separately from Allianz under very specific circumstances (private sale and warranty bought before the OEM warranty expires).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

Did you end up purchasing another or did that put you off completely?

I did but not from Tesla, I bought from a dealer in the UK. Everyone’s interaction with Tesla seems to be hit or miss. A surprising number of people have poor experiences but the cars are unique enough that their behaviour goes unchallenged.

The car I bought still has some of its OEM warranty left so I’m not relying on the extended warranty (nor will I be able to buy it). Tesla Ireland have already done one small fix for me under warranty so it seems to transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

yannakis wrote: »
    Care sharing a list of the fiddly stuff?

Is there a difference between the CCS upgrade and using adaptors like this one?

IoyWPoDm.png
    That is the CCS upgrade, you need the adapter and a hardware and firmware update to be able to use CCS - Costs €500

The fiddly stuff, is the little things like I said above, make sure all docs and cables are in order, but also other stuff like the usb ports, window switches, sunroof motor, all that. As you would with any expensive used car purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

And if something like the center console or a door handle malfunctioned is the only option to take it to tesla Dublin? I have heard of roaming technicians but don’t know if that is true?

I know the extra kids ‘jump seats’ were an option in the boot but can Tesla retro fit?

There is a ranger who works all over the country if the work can be done remotely. Some things need to be done at the service centre.

As far as I know the jump seats can't be retro fitted. I believe they require extra strengtening of the rear of the car during production.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    There is a ranger who works all over the country if the work can be done remotely. Some things need to be done at the service centre.

As far as I know the jump seats can't be retro fitted. I believe they require extra strengtening of the rear of the car during production.

The strengthening = extra protection for the passengers if the car is rear ended.

Sabre Man wrote: »

Thanks for the reply, good to know!

Been watching the Tesla UK used site closely. Friday all cars disappeared bar one 2017 model. There was 10/15 cars advertised before that. Strange

Thanks for the reply, good to know!

Been watching the Tesla UK used site closely. Friday all cars disappeared bar one 2017 model. There was 10/15 cars advertised before that. Strange
    Probably all sold
    Usually they don't last more than a few days

ELM327 wrote: »
    Probably all sold
    Usually they don't last more than a few days

Ya could well be, usually cars go on and off daily but for all used cars to be taken down in one go is what im wondering about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Yeah, very strange. There's no Model S's there at all the last few days from Tesla directly.

The very cheapest ones elsewhere are starting to come in under £29,999 now. I'm watching like a hawk till end of February when they change their reg plates in the UK and might pull the trigger then if there's a bit more depreciation happening at that stage!

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Yeah, very strange. There's no Model S's there at all the last few days from Tesla directly.

The very cheapest ones elsewhere are starting to come in under £29,999 now. I'm watching like a hawk till end of February when they change their reg plates in the UK and might pull the trigger then if there's a bit more depreciation happening at that stage!
    You'd pick up an S85 with AP1 for around £30k privately now I would imagine. The earlier non AP cars will be even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm watching like a hawk till end of February when they change their reg plates in the UK and might pull the trigger then if there's a bit more depreciation happening at that stage!

Not happening if brexit goes ahead Jan 31st! :eek:

But yeah, you and me both, watching with great interest to see the prices of second hand Model S after the UK reg change in March when many an owner is going to "trade up" to a new Model 3

I'd be very tempted if a high miler out of warranty AP1 would come along for under the GBP25k mark. None or very little VRT on that either.

There will be a transitory period

There will be a transitory period

That is far from certain. A no deal brexit by definition means no transition period at all.

unkel wrote: »
    That is far from certain. A no deal brexit by definition means no transition period at all.

So you think on the first of february there will be WTO trade tariffs?
    Nonsense.
    The next cliff is the end of 2020.

So you think on the first of february there will be WTO trade tariffs?
    Nonsense.

Personally I hope and expect there will not be a no-deal brexit after Jan 31st. But if there is, then yes, WTO tariffs will be there immediately. Not nonsense. That's the definition of being out of the EU.

Here's a decent brief description of what a no-deal brexit means from the BBC:

Linky
    Under a no-deal Brexit, there would be no time to bring in a UK-EU trade deal.Trade would initially have to be on terms set by the World Trade Organization

Border checks, import duties, VAT, the lot. Immediately.

Personally I hope and expect there will not be a no-deal brexit after Jan 31st. But if there is, then yes, WTO tariffs will be there immediately. Not nonsense. That's the definition of being out of the EU.

Linky

But it's not going to be "no deal" until the end of the defined negotiation period (ie 31/12/20).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Two nice secondhand S’s have just come up for sale on the Tesla Owners UK Facebook page. An 18 100D in silver and a 17 75D in black.

No price on the 18 and on the 75D £45k is mentioned on the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Linky

I think you've misunderstood it. Jan 31st is just the official leaving with no going back. They then go into the transition period where nothing changes and then if they fail to have a deal signed at the end of that then thats "no deal brexit"... but during the transition its business as usual AFAIK.

Boris has purposely drawn a line in the sand that the end of the transition period is the end of the year so as ELM says that the cliff edge for no-deal brexit (unless he fails to get brexit done by Jan 31st which is highly unlikely since he has a significant majority to play with).

• Advertisement

Ah jasus,

I forgot about possible Brexit implications, quit running my pipe dream with your facts ;)

I find this site great, lists all Tesla's from all sources in the UK...

https://tesla-info.com/UK/inventory.html

The cheapest S85 with autopilot that is a 2014 for 33k sterling.

Interestingly, as it was bought second hand from Tesla by its last owner, it has some CPO warranty left on it.

An interesting way to get some warranty, but not pay full Tesla direct prices perhaps!

KCross wrote: »
    Jan 31st is just the official leaving with no going back. They then go into the transition period where nothing changes and then if they fail to have a deal signed at the end of that then thats "no deal brexit"... but during the transition its business as usual AFAIK.

Boris has purposely drawn a line in the sand that the end of the transition period is the end of the year

Boris changes his plan more often than I change my underwear. I'm not gambling on any outcome on any date. Just hope the whole thing will still be averted some way or other.

I find this site great, lists all Tesla's from all sources in the UK...

https://tesla-info.com/UK/inventory.html

That is great, thanks for sharing even though we might end up as competitors for one :D

GBP26k for a non AP1 2014 sure is getting in the right direction. Presuming no more than a couple hundred VRT after disputing it, a cheap flight and ferry and Revolut exchange rate, that is about EUR31k landed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

That one for 26k sterling is very much an outlier price wise and that car has a few issues if you read the description on AutoTrader.

30k sterling is the best price at the moment from my daily checking of that site over the last few weeks.

Happy shopping :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah and not to mention it was crashed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

KCross wrote: »
    Jan 31st is just the official leaving with no going back. They then go into the transition period where nothing changes and then if they fail to have a deal signed at the end of that then thats "no deal brexit"... but during the transition its business as usual AFAIK

So would I be correct in saying if someone were to go over to the UK between now and the end of the transition persiod to pick up a Model S, the status quo applies ==> ie only VRT over €35000 is due on import?

Nedved85 wrote: »
    So would I be correct in saying if someone were to go over to the UK between now and the end of the transition persiod to pick up a Model S, the status quo applies ==> ie only VRT over €35000 is due on import?
    Yes

Did you spot on you fancy, Nedved85? :p

Did you spot on you fancy, Nedved85? :p

Nothing at the moment - I'm keeping an eye on what Tesla are selling themselves directly as I like the idea of a warranty that's valid here.

Sterling is not great at the moment, but who knows what way the trade talks between the EU/GB will go over the next while.

If they stutter through, a bit of value might return :)

I'm torn between a new Model 3 here or a 16 facelift model imported for about €40k all in..

i could be waiting a while I'd say :pac::cool:

Nothing at the moment - I'm keeping an eye on what Tesla are selling themselves directly as I like the idea of a warranty that's valid here.

Sterling is not great at the moment, but who knows what way the trade talks between the EU/GB will go over the next while.

If they stutter through, a bit of value might return :)

I'm torn between a new Model 3 here or a 16 facelift model imported for about €40k all in..

i could be waiting a while I'd say :pac::cool:

You will get a 70/75 high miler at that. If you're prepared to wait 6-12 months then go for it.
    To be honest, having gone through the hassle that dealing with Tesla UK was, I'd not reccomend it. If I had a "do over" I'd just buy a 3 from Tesla IE.

• Advertisement

I'm keeping an eye on what Tesla are selling themselves directly as I like the idea of a warranty that's valid here.

Be careful though. A lot of their cars are sold with 4 year warranty. But if you look closer it's either 4 years from the day of sale, or 50k miles on the clock, whichever comes first. Not that great if the car already has 44k miles on the clock, the 4 years will turn into barely 4 months for a lot of people...

You will get a 70/75 high miler at that. If you're prepared to wait 6-12 months then go for it.
    To be honest, having gone through the hassle that dealing with Tesla UK was, I'd not reccomend it. If I had a "do over" I'd just buy a 3 from Tesla IE.

Interesting you say that, were they tricky to deal with?

Interesting you say that, were they tricky to deal with?
    Awful.
    Absolutely awful.

If it werent for the cult of Tesla I'd be saying never again.

But of course there's nothing out there better, so I will be buying again. The products are great, but the service is awful with a capital F

If I had a "do over" I'd just buy a 3 from Tesla IE.

Go on, order yourself a new Model 3. I'll match in your trade in offer from Tesla for your Model S. Only half joking :)

World anyone hazard a guess what VRT you'd pay on a 32.5k sterling Model S if you were to land one in Ireland.

At today's exchange rate, that works out at 38.25k euro.

So is it just 14% of 3.25k? As in around 500 quid?

My fear is they use the Irish open market selling price right? So you could get a silly bill and have to appeal?

My fear is they use the Irish open market selling price right? So you could get a silly bill and have to appeal?

Yes. Nothing to do with how much you paid for the car in some foreign land

Now in fairness we have heard mostly of bills that were lower than expected (after appeal) but it is of course a bit of a risk...

World anyone hazard a guess what VRT you'd pay on a 32.5k sterling Model S if you were to land one in Ireland.

At today's exchange rate, that works out at 38.25k euro.

So is it just 14% of 3.25k? As in around 500 quid?

My VRT was a smidge under 3k and my S was higher than 32.5k£

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Be careful though. A lot of their cars are sold with 4 year warranty. But if you look closer it's either 4 years from the day of sale, or 50k miles on the clock, whichever comes first. Not that great if the car already has 44k miles on the clock, the 4 years will turn into barely 4 months for a lot of people...

That's not correct.

There is two warranties depending the car's age and millage.

4 years / 50,000 miles
    Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery.

2 years / 100,000 miles
    Covers 2 years from when you take delivery or up to 100,000 total miles on the vehicle's odometer.

ELM327 wrote:
    My VRT was a smidge under 3k and my S was higher than 32.5k£

Just to check I have it right, VTR is effectively 14% of everything over 35k euro on what revenue deem to be the cars Irish value right?

Does that mean they valued your car at like 55 grand or something?

In other news, I'm off to pick up my new Tesla Model S..... For three days!

As part of my purchase investigation I've rented one from that company in Stephens Green.

Gonna see how I get on with it in terms of size and range before I buy!!

Fun times ;)

• Advertisement

You're right, jhegarty

"Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery. "

Linky with example

I was wondering why the 4 year warranty cars commanded such a premium over the 2 year warranty cars. This explains it. Personally the 4 years or 50k miles for me would indeed mean the full 4 years. A very attractive proposition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You're right, jhegarty

"Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery. "

Linky with example

I was wondering why the 4 year warranty cars commanded such a premium over the 2 year warranty cars. This explains it. Personally the 4 years or 50k miles for me would indeed mean the full 4 years. A very attractive proposition!

That don't help things with how they mix terms on the search pages.

Just to check I have it right, VTR is effectively 14% of everything over 35k euro on what revenue deem to be the cars Irish value right?

Does that mean they valued your car at like 55 grand or something?
    Yes, OMSP -35k * 14%

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don’t fear, it’s always the OMSP of Ireland. It’s been like that since day one.
    Also, check before you appeal that their omsp is not lower than similar cars you’d be using as evidence.

Is there any easy way to know how often a second hand Tesla was supercharged?

Like on the Leaf you can get LeafSpy and a dongle etc.

Jesus, will you forget you ever saw that stupid video from Nyland? It doesn't matter how often it was supercharged.

Jesus, will you forget you ever saw that stupid video from Nyland? It doesn't matter how often it was supercharged.

Haha, trying to figure out supercharging speed here.

I plugged "my" Model S 75D into the supercharger at 8% SOC yesterday and it was saying 55 minutes to fill it up.

I was only pulling 40kW at about 60% SOC which is far worse than what I expected and it got slower from there ;(

If I'm importing a Model S and paying a fortune to do so, getting very fast charging was one of the selling points... Or so I thought!!

Yeah that does seem ridiculously slow. Nothing "super" about that supercharging :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Screenshot-20200202-060816.png

Source: https://youtu.be/Qbl74bL0zGQ

See also: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/if-you-fast-charge-tesla-will-permanently-throttle-charging.90230/

...and if you want it straight from Tesla

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/supercharging
    Does Supercharging affect my battery?
    The peak-charging rate of the battery may decrease slightly after a large number of high-rate charging sessions, such as those at Superchargers. To ensure maximum driving range and battery safety, the battery charge rate is decreased when the battery is too cold, when it is nearly full or when its condition changes with usage and age. These changes in the condition of the battery may increase total Supercharger time by a few minutes over time.

• Advertisement

I'm not denying Tesla is throttling fast chargers, just questioning if that has a material impact on any Tesla bought second hand in the UK or Ireland.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is to not buy a Tesla Model S with more than 500k km on the clock unless you get it for peanuts and you don't mind charging at "just" 95kW ;)

In fact I'm already looking forward to using this as a bargaining chip if it comes to me buying a Model S. And wait for the anti EV brigade, well the less slow ones who follow the news, to use this in their arguments :p

Advertisement