Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a 2nd-hand CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) Tesla from the UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

unkel wrote: »
    I'm not denying Tesla is throttling fast chargers, just questioning if that has a material impact on any Tesla bought second hand in the UK or Ireland.

Maybe a good rule of thumb is to not buy a Tesla Model S with more than 500k km on the clock unless you get it for peanuts and you don't mind charging at "just" 95kW ;)

In fact I'm already looking forward to using this as a bargaining chip if it comes to me buying a Model S. And wait for the anti EV brigade, well the less slow ones who follow the news, to use this in their arguments :p

My concern wouldn't be 95kW, it would be getting speeds much lower than that.

The simplest empirical approach would be to meet the seller at their chosen fast charger at 10% SOC and see what it pulls. You only need to be there for a few minutes.

Or if buying from the UK, get them to send a smartphone video of that part of the charging session, and confirm it when you pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Is that impacting all cars , or just the 75 pack ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All Teslas

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Moving discussion of rapid charging restrictions to https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058050245

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lumen wrote: »
    My concern wouldn't be 95kW, it would be getting speeds much lower than that.

The simplest empirical approach would be to meet the seller at their chosen fast charger at 10% SOC and see what it pulls. You only need to be there for a few minutes.

Or if buying from the UK, get them to send a smartphone video of that part of the charging session, and confirm it when you pick up.
    The S nerfing is 95kW.
    Bjorn's MX had 220k km (with kWh used closer to 400k of normal usage, he was pulling trailers) and the limit was still 95.
    TBH 95 is better than most new cars today anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 byszek

Hey

If anyone is interested in this, I confirmed with Tesla in Dublin that "4 years / 50,000 miles
    Limited Warranty" that you get when buying used tesla from "tesla/en_GB/used" is honored in Ireland so any MCU unit problems you are covered.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

byszek wrote: »
    Hey

If anyone is interested in this, I confirmed with Tesla in Dublin that "4 years / 50,000 miles
    Limited Warranty" that you get when buying used tesla from "tesla/en_GB/used" is honored in Ireland so any MCU unit problems you are covered.

We are aware of that already as many of us have bought from the UK over the years.

Gumbo wrote: »
    We are aware of that already as many of us have bought from the UK over the years.
    In fact, until the 3 came, most Teslas here were bought from the UK I'd imagine, as we didnt even have a delivery/SC here until a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

Hello

I'd like to import a used Tesla S from the UK. I have 38k EUR to spend. What model and mileage would you recommend? I have a dealer here in Ireland doing to the pick up, checks and transport.

Also, do you know if it's possible to get the 6/7th seats installed here in Ireland?

Thanks so much for the advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

As far as I know, you can't install the extra two seats in a Model S, it's a build-time option.

Beware that the buying process with Tesla used cars can be slow. I gave up after almost a month. After December 31st, who knows what extra taxes you'll have to pay to import it into the EU. Move quickly if you're going to do it.

• Advertisement

Hello

I'd like to import a used Tesla S from the UK. I have 38k EUR to spend. What model and mileage would you recommend? I have a dealer here in Ireland doing to the pick up, checks and transport.

Also, do you know if it's possible to get the 6/7th seats installed here in Ireland?

Thanks so much for the advice!

You really should know what your looking for to be blunt.

For me, I’d spend more for the P model. I’d pay the same for a 14 P as I would for a 15 normal so it’s all got to do with priorities for your personally.

The rear row of seats can be installed afterwards. The problem is getting a set for sale over here. They pop up all the time in the US Facebook Groups but I’d say shipping be pricey.

I assume your “dealer” is simply sourcing one from the auction or trade in the UK? He needs to hurry up.

markpb wrote: »
    As far as I know, you can't install the extra two seats in a Model S, it's a build-time option.

Beware that the buying process with Tesla used cars can be slow. I gave up after almost a month. After December 31st, who knows what extra taxes you'll have to pay to import it into the EU. Move quickly if you're going to do it.

Thanks so much. Not planning on going through Tesla, probably through a dealer. Can you recommend a model?

Thanks so much. Not planning on going through Tesla, probably through a dealer. Can you recommend a model?

P85D.

But your budget won’t allow that.
    Your budget might put you into an S85/S70D/85D based on AT prices currently.

What are you looking for?

P85D.

But your budget won’t allow that.
    Your budget might put you into an S85/S70D/85D based on AT prices currently.

What are you looking for?

Looking for good condition, reliable model with decent range. Is mileage more important than age?

If you had my budget which model would you go for?

Looking for good condition, reliable model with decent range. Is mileage more important than age?

If you had my budget which model would you go for?

If you had my budget, which model, year and mileage would go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I understand there is a reinforcing bar in back that is only installed on the 7 seater.

I don't think Tesla will retrofit it.

You really should know what your looking for to be blunt.

For me, I’d spend more for the P model. I’d pay the same for a 14 P as I would for a 15 normal so it’s all got to do with priorities for your personally.

The rear row of seats can be installed afterwards. The problem is getting a set for sale over here. They pop up all the time in the US Facebook Groups but I’d say shipping be pricey.

I assume your “dealer” is simply sourcing one from the auction or trade in the UK? He needs to hurry up.

Thanks. I'm not too fussed about performance. More condition, guarantee availability, and range.

What you recommend at my budget? Model, year and mileage

If you had my budget, which model, year and mileage would go for?

85D

Dual motor.
    Good performance.
    Buy the best condition one you can. Get searching on AT.

Range. What do you expect from a range point of view? Or what do you need?
    Bearing in mind these cars are decent battery size (85 kWh) but older than the newer, smaller more efficient batteries. For example, a 64 kWh Kona will have more range than an 85 kWh model s. The Kona is an every day family box. The model s is a “luxury” car with 400bhp so it’s not as efficient as the average EV.

Think of it this way, if you went into a VW dealer tomorrow, would your eye be drawn to a 2.0tdi Golf, a Golf GTi or a Golf R?

85D

Dual motor.
    Good performance.

Bearing in mind these cars are decent battery size (85 kWh) but older than the newer, smaller more efficient batteries. For example, a 64 kWh Kona will have more range than an 85 kWh model s. The Kona is an every day family box. The model s is a “luxury” car with 400bhp so it’s not as efficient as the average EV.

Think of it this way, if you went into a VW dealer tomorrow, would your eye be drawn to a 2.0tdi Golf, a Golf GTi or a Golf R?

The kona boot size is tiny. So would never go for it.

Also, we have young kids so stopping to charge is not a big deal.

One of main reasons going for Tesla is large boot and BIK benefits. No other electrics gave comparable boot. So I guess reliability is also important. Worth going for a 70/75/85 from 2017 with as low mileage as possible to hold onto 4yr/50k guarantee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

If you’re relying on the extra seats, make sure you check the height and weight restrictions on them. They’re not normal seats.
    IMPORTANT! Rear facing seats are child restraint systems and must only be used for children over 37 inches (94 cm) tall and weighing between 35 and 77 lbs (16.2 to 35.2 kg). Always ensure the top of the child’s head cannot contact the vehicle and that the child is seated comfortably with the seat belts positioned and latched correctly. Follow all instructions provided and do not use supplemental child restraint systems in these seats.

• Advertisement

I'm also pretty sure that 7 seat is from factory only. And again, as markpb said, it's only really suitable for children up to about 10-11 years (and pushing it at that)

85D

Dual motor.
    Good performance.

Would you go for something like this? Or would mileage put you off?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011126058925

Miles is not a problem and a 2015 car has unlimited mileage battery and drive train warranty until sometime in 2023 (July in this case)

That car is not particularly good value though and the warranty from a UK second hand car dealer is not much good over here. Would you not go for the Tesla CPO car? From personal experience, it has lots of benefits to have a car under warranty from Tesla. See my thread for some of this stuff. I currently drive a 192 Tesla Model X, long range, 7 seater, as a loaner for several weeks (for free) as my own Tesla is undergoing very expensive warranty work (also for free) in Sandyford

unkel wrote: »
    Miles is not a problem and a 2015 car has unlimited mileage battery and drive train warranty until sometime in 2023 (July in this case)

That car is not particularly good value though and the warranty from a UK second hand car dealer is not much good over here. Would you not go for the Tesla CPO car? From personal experience, it has lots of benefits to have a car under warranty from Tesla. See my thread for some of this stuff. I currently drive a 192 Tesla Model X, long range, 7 seater, as a loaner for several weeks (for free) as my own Tesla is undergoing very expensive warranty work (also for free) in Sandyford

I would go for CPO But none seem to be in stock and running out of time before brexit.

Do you have a link to CPO Inventory

The kona boot size is tiny. So would never go for it.

Also, we have young kids so stopping to charge is not a big deal.

One of main reasons going for Tesla is large boot and BIK benefits. No other electrics gave comparable boot. So I guess reliability is also important. Worth going for a 70/75/85 from 2017 with as low mileage as possible to hold onto 4yr/50k guarantee?

You won’t get a 2017 one for €38k

Miles wouldn’t put me off but I think there is better value and spec options on AT currently.

Miles wouldn’t put me off but I think there is better value and spec options on AT currently.

Any tips on a good spec off AT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

One of main reasons going for Tesla is large boot and BIK benefits. ?

My understanding of BIK situation is that there is no BIK on an ev supplied by employer as long as the original (new) price is under 50k euro ( or was it upped a little in last budget? As the new price for a model S is well north of that, I reckon there would be hefty BIK, but I’m not an accountant, (and there may be some trade off if the vehicle is part paid for by the employee and part employer - but I may have imagined that bitðŸ˜).

• Advertisement

Brilliant! Thanks!

Electric cars used and new BIK exempt up to 50k. Huge incentive.

Check with accountant. There’s something about the original purchase price.
    I’m not sure as I’m a private buyer but best to know now rather than after you buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

BIK is payable on the original price, regardless of what you pay for one now. So say that one was a €100k car new, you would be paying BIK on €50k (€100k less €50k exemption), it won’t be BIK exempt due to buying second hand for under €50k

bf wrote: »
    BIK is payable on the original price, regardless of what you pay for one now. So say that one was a €100k car new, you would be paying BIK on €50k (€100k less €50k exemption), it won’t be BIK exempt due to buying second hand for under €50k

Ah damn, missed this fact. Thought OMV meant purchase price.

Guess I'll look at model 3 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Ah damn, missed this fact. Thought OMV meant purchase price.

Guess I'll look at model 3 then.

Yep, the guys are correct about the bike rules, you'd be batter off buying a new model 3, than importing a used S from UK, if its a company car there is also accelerated capital allowance on new evs in Ireland. But the bik would also apply to nearly new model 3s from UK, just has to be 6 mths old and 6000 kms, but be quick as all that will probably change in January with brexit, SR model 3 will have lowest bik rates in Ireland

Hey everyone, has anyone recently purchased a Used Tesla (Directly from Tesla) in the UK and got an updated estimate on costs?

• Advertisement

You won't get one from the UK now due to the VAT cost.

Best to buy one in Ireland. Like the one in my sig.

Tesla said they would ship the car to Northern Ireland, which I think it means it would avoid VAT.

Nope - it is purchased from GB so even if shipped to NI you will still have to pay VAT.
    The only way to do it would be to buy an ex-VAT vat qualifying car in the UK (eg at auction or from a company), not from Tesla.

Cheaper to buy here now. Even if you want a newer / lower mile car than mine you'd still be better off buying here (EG the P100DL 7 seater)

OK - thanks for the advice.

The big attraction in buying from Tesla is that getting some comfort around the reliability of the car.

Does anyone have any experience of buying a Used Tesla in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Buying Tesla used was attrative until last year. They used to do proper CPO until a few years ago. Then they downgraded to selling used cars- i.e. cars would come with tiny scratch marks etc. but the marks were guaranteed to be under a certain size. Then last year they severely reduced the warranty they were offering so now it's only 1 year and 10,000 miles instead of 2 or even 4 years and 50,000 miles.

With the UK route being closed due to Brexit asking prices have gone up in Ireland but if you keep looking you *can* get a bargain like ELM's car or the 70D at 36k or the 142-D car at 35k+ on donedeal. You will be taking a risk with all the little things that can go wrong in a Tesla (door handles and sunroof mostly as MCU is now covered and you still have the 8 year battery plus drivetrain warranty). But unfortunately there isn't any other option now as Tesla Ireland doesn't sell used very often.

• Advertisement

Tesla said they would ship the car to Northern Ireland, which I think it means it would avoid VAT.

Irrelevant. It’s still a UK import.
    OK - thanks for the advice.

The big attraction in buying from Tesla is that getting some comfort around the reliability of the car.

Does anyone have any experience of buying a Used Tesla in Ireland?

Yes, all of us with second hand Tesla’s. What would you like to know?

Thanks for the reply. A few questions then.

- Do you recommend buying direct from a dealer vs private?
    - What are the most common faults with Teslas and are they expensive to fix? What is your experience with Tesla Ireland in getting stuff repaired?
    - Can you share the best Model S options available on Donedeal at the moment?

- What are the most common faults with Teslas and are they expensive to fix? What is your experience with Tesla Ireland in getting stuff repaired?

1. Depends on your personal level of competence. I don’t buy from a dealer typically unless they have a fair deal going, but I did buy my current Model S from a dealer as they pretty much offered RRP on my i3 at the time. Demand was strong and the cost to change was cheaper than me selling and buying straight out for what I wanted (a Performance Model S).

Private will give you the better deal but some people are afraid to buy private, especially if it’s a mid 30’s car.

2. Model S.
    Door Handles. These are covered under a good will scheme now. Buy the parts and Tesla supply the labour. €315 per handle end cost though! All 4 of mine have been replaced under warranty throughout its life so that will stand for the car at sale time.

MCU (main computer). There are covered under warranty though. Mines getting replaced free of charge in the next few weeks by Tesla.

Main Battery.
    The early cars can fail. But they have 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty. Mine was replaced free of charger last month by Tesla. My car is a 2014 version. This is another selling point and the new battery should outlast the car based on long term tests online.

General build quality.
    Just check the car and make sure everything works.

Cost to fix.
    No more exe-endive than any other brand. Bmw, Audi etc
    Some things can be done at home, just like any other car.

DoneDeal.
    There’s a few good ones, but not many performance models so I wouldn’t be the best to comment on them. I personally will only buy the performance version but that’s personal choice.

Generally I would buy from a dealer but as there's no real CPO process anymore and an 8 year warranty on battery/drivetrain, you'll get a better deal buying private

Common faults: MCU1, MCU1, MCU1!! Other niggly trim bits. I had my charge flap fixed under warranty, and paid 140€ for 2 new usb ports. I also had the sunroof fixed due to noise. If you're expecting german fit finish and premium quietness, then get an etron!

Tesla Ireland are lovely people to deal with but inept at doing anything other than offering you coffee, not calling you back, and generally being friendly but gormless.

The best option for an S if you want the cheapest and longest range possible with least to go wrong, is mine. If you want a performance I suggest the gold seven seat P100Dl. My pick is the 2017 X90D thats in Stillorgan motors.

To be honest with you unless you need the range or the hatch back (which we do) then I'd buy a model 3 SR+ new from Tesla direct. (10k more than my S)

ELM327 wrote: »
    To be honest with you unless you need the range or the hatch back (which we do) then I'd buy a model 3 SR+ new from Tesla direct. (10k more than my S)

There's a lot more in favour of the Model S than the range or the hatchback!

Many older cars have air suspension, which is marvelous. The car is also more refined, more comfortable and quieter. And there is the performance, in particular from the P models (I have the same P85 as Gumbo)

Also many of the older cars have a very high spec, like high end stereo, dual chargers for 23kW AC charging (very handy as there are over 1000 of these in Ireland) and free worldwide supercharging for life as well as automatic trunk

The Model S is the daddy, the Model 3 is clearly the cheaper car in every way. That said it's good value brand new for about €46k where as the Model S is an expensive second hand car, pretty much impossible to find even a 7 year old base model for under €30k. The Model 3 for sale today is made in China, which has a better build quality than the older Model S which were made in the USA

ELM327 wrote: »
    Generally I would buy from a dealer but as there's no real CPO process anymore and an 8 year warranty on battery/drivetrain, you'll get a better deal buying private

Common faults: MCU1, MCU1, MCU1!! Other niggly trim bits. I had my charge flap fixed under warranty, and paid 140€ for 2 new usb ports. I also had the sunroof fixed due to noise. If you're expecting german fit finish and premium quietness, then get an etron!

Tesla Ireland are lovely people to deal with but inept at doing anything other than offering you coffee, not calling you back, and generally being friendly but gormless.

The best option for an S if you want the cheapest and longest range possible with least to go wrong, is mine. If you want a performance I suggest the gold seven seat P100Dl. My pick is the 2017 X90D thats in Stillorgan motors.

The gold P100D was sold the last I seen it.

Nothing really. You'd have to get the MCU2 upgrade (or MCU1 fix), but that is a great buy. Arguably at least as good as mine, as it's 2 years older and a nosecone car but has free transferable supercharging.

Worth noting that the 85 packs have been nerfed and charge very slowly now - and it has not been improved with the recent un-nerf the 75 and 90 packs got.

If I wanted a cheap bargain S that's the one I'd buy, and try get him close to 30k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That car is the same as mine, it also has premium sound so it's basically fully loaded, you're looking at circa 365kms range in Summer, about 30% less in Winter (untested by me due to lockdown).
    The dual chargers are very handy, you will get 23kW off the many 22kW AC chargers up and down the country.
    Charging speed may be reduced but you will get a good 90kW+ on High Power chargers if you rock up on a low SOC, it will start off at 113kW and then settled around the 90kW mark for a good while.
    Good price, I paid a bit more but mine is a wee bit newer and came with 2.5years Tesla warranty.

Check has the CCS conversion been done, I'd imagine it has but no harm in being sure as you never know.

Doubt you'll get close to €30k but depends on negotiating I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The fact its a Tesla

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
Advertisement