Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a 2nd-hand CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) Tesla from the UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    The Model S is the daddy, the Model 3 is clearly the cheaper car in every way. That said it's good value brand new for about €46k

Cheapest Model 3 here is a tad under €49k, a non white, €50k :eek:.

My issue with a Model S of that vintage would be the battery/warranty.

+ if you haven't got the cash loans are expensive when not buying from VW or BMW.

+ as a high mileage driver out of warranty scared the bejesus out of me.

What's the cost to replace a Tesla 85 Kwh battery ? does this give you 100% capacity ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

As a 142 you are covered for another year and a half. After that we don't know how much it would cost to replace the battery. A few tens of thousands?

What's the cost to replace a Tesla 85 Kwh battery ? does this give you 100% capacity ?

No one here has exceeded the 8 year battery warranty yet, but I saw a video where a US car, just days over the 8 years, had its battery fail.

Tesla's only remedy was a full cost replacement at $20k+ :eek:.

He got it shipped to an independent who sorted it for $5k, by snipping out a single cell.

unkel reckons Gruber are cowboys & it'd be just a DIY repair on his driveway, couple of hours & an Aldi soldering iron job :D.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Kramer wrote: »
    My issue with a Model S of that vintage would be the battery/warranty.

Most of the early Model S have had their batteries replaced and those that have not, there’s a good chance they won’t need it. The early battery runs may have had issues compared to the newer versions released in late 2014.

For example, Bjorns (spelling) on you tube, his 2013 MSP85 battery died within 2 years or so. And the replacement battery has done 250k km with only 12% degregation. This would appear to me that any replaced battery is better than the original. I’d rather see a HV battery replacement than not if I’m honest.

My P85+ was replaced last month. So the opposite to Bjorns. Mines a 2014 car and it failed at 106k km.
    garo wrote: »
    As a 142 you are covered for another year and a half. After that we don't know how much it would cost to replace the battery. A few tens of thousands?

When mine was being replaced the lads in the SC mentioned a figure of approx €14k

Gumbo wrote: »
    Most of the early Model S have had their batteries replaced and those that have not, there’s a good chance they won’t need it.

My P85+ was replaced last month.

There aren't many Model S owners on here but at least 2, you & unkel, have had very recent battery failures. That's probably 50% of Model S owners :p.

It's just something any prospective early Model S purchaser, should take into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

LOL - OK. I went from heading up to Stillorgan tomorrow to scrapping the whole idea in a few minutes.

Think the battery issue definitely scaring me off.

Tesla Model 3 is too small. I have 4 kids in a multimac and want a big boot. Might just wait for the Model Y.

Kramer wrote: »
    There aren't many Model S owners on here but at least 2, you & unkel, have had very recent battery failures. That's probably 50% of Model S owners :p.

It's just something any prospective early Model S purchaser, should take into account.

Of course. It must be considered. In the same way if your buying a bmw 520d, you make sure the chain was done or you factor that into the purchase price.

It’s a big peace of mind knowing the batteries are covered by an 8 year warranty with unlimited mileage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL - OK. I went from heading up to Stillorgan tomorrow to scrapping the whole idea in a few minutes.

No need for the knee-jerk reaction :D

If you buy a 2016 Model S, it will still have 3 full years of Tesla battery warranty left. And from anecdotal evidence, these batteries don't seem to fail anyway, it's the early cars that have problems. The Model S wasn't sold in the UK until 2014 and these are the cars that at some stage need new batteries. Mine was replaced in December.

Tesla Model 3 is too small. I have 4 kids in a multimac and want a big boot. Might just wait for the Model Y.

I wouldn't go Model Y with 4 kids, the 7-seat option is expensive and you won't have any boot left.

• Advertisement

Go look at it and see what you think. It may have had a battery replacement already which will ease some of your concerns.

If you are going up, get a look under the car, behind the drivers wheel and photo the white sticker. That will give the battery date and confirm if replaced or original.

Something like this.

549422.jpeg

No need for the knee-jerk reaction :D

If you buy a 2016 Model S, it will still have 3 full years of Tesla battery warranty left. And from anecdotal evidence, these batteries don't seem to fail anyway, it's the early cars that have problems. The Model S wasn't sold in the UK until 2014 and these are the cars that at some stage need new batteries. Mine was replaced in December.

I wouldn't go Model Y with 4 kids, the 7-seat option is expensive and you won't have any boot left.

Are the 2 back seats not foldable? The kids are in a multimac, so will only need the 7 seats when they're older.

I'll definitely look around for a 2016 Model S then, and check if the 2014 one has already had a battery replacement.

Thanks for all the advice. Really appreciate it!!!

Are the 2 back seats not foldable? The kids are in a multimac, so will only need the 7 seats when they're older.

I'll definitely look around for a 2016 Model S then

So are you only considering the 7-seat Model S then? The two rear facing seats are only suitable for very young children. Up to about 10 years old at a push if they're not tall. I guess if you have 4 in the multimac, your youngest 2 kids are very young still :)

The 7 seat option you usually mostly see on 2014 / 2015 cars, not sure how common it is on newer cars. There aren't many Model S for sale in Ireland and the import route from the UK is now pretty much closed off, so you're probably looking for a needle in a hay stack here I'm afraid if you want a 2016 7-seater...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Coincide

Surprised the VRT is only 3000. Wonder when they'll bring in something to make it like 10-15k on electric cars that cost a high price

VRT has to be one of the worst things about Ireland. Makes an affordable car in the UK into an absolute joke if a price here.

Coincide wrote: »
    Surprised the VRT is only 3000. Wonder when they'll bring in something to make it like 10-15k on electric cars that cost a high price

VRT has to be one of the worst things about Ireland. Makes an affordable car in the UK into an absolute joke if a price here.

Eh? VRT was nothing or a few hundred quid for most Tesla Model S (2014 / 2015) imported into Ireland in the last year or two

Problem now is the VAT. Which is 23%. So import a GBP30k Tesla and have it transported here and the VAT alone will cost ya €8k

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Coincide

Eh? VRT was nothing or a few hundred quid for most Tesla Model S (2014 / 2015) imported into Ireland in the last year or two

Problem now is the VAT. Which is 23%. So import a GBP30k Tesla and have it transported here and the VAT alone will cost ya €8k

Don't get me wrong it's still ****e. I'm just surprised they aren't robbing us more by now.

Sure with the petrol cars they hide their tax behind a veil of pretending to car about the environment.

Looks at the Focus RS. Approx 15 grand VRT. Car costs 40k here in total and like 25 in England.

Eventually they'll do it to electrical cars too. I guarantee it.

• Advertisement

Not sure what you're ranting on about, man. Nobody is importing cars from the UK anymore, it's outside of the EU now, the VAT alone rules it out. Even for EVs that will cost very little or nothing in VRT to bring them in.

So are you only considering the 7-seat Model S then? The two rear facing seats are only suitable for very young children. Up to about 10 years old at a push if they're not tall. I guess if you have 4 in the multimac, your youngest 2 kids are very young still :)

The 7 seat option you usually mostly see on 2014 / 2015 cars, not sure how common it is on newer cars. There aren't many Model S for sale in Ireland and the import route from the UK is now pretty much closed off, so you're probably looking for a needle in a hay stack here I'm afraid if you want a 2016 7-seater...

No will go for any Tesla S with Multimac. Just won't go for model 3 as boot too small. 7 seat option a nice to have.

Kids are all very small still so have a few years left in Multimac

Then the best value Model S is this one:

Linky

A good deal can be had on it, if you can complete the purchase soon, or it will be sold into the trade. The car is owned by forum regular ELM327 and he has spent substantial money to get the car up to the current standard, it is high miles but the suspension got a very recent overhaul at Tesla and is also upgraded to MCU2 (new computer / screen system). These cars can take the mileage well. It is also the facelift model, which looks fresher and it's a 2016 car, so still has 3 full years of Tesla battery and drive train warranty left.

Plus if you search the forum you will find every little thing that has gone wrong with the car as ELM posted about everything. Won't find a car with more detailed service history. Nothing like a public record :D

Then the best value Model S is this one:

Linky

A good deal can be had on it, if you can complete the purchase soon, or it will be sold into the trade. The car is owned by forum regular ELM327 and he has spent substantial money to get the car up to the current standard, it is high miles but the suspension got a very recent overhaul at Tesla and is also upgraded to MCU2 (new computer / screen system). These cars can take the mileage well. It is also the facelift model, which looks fresher and it's a 2016 car, so still has 3 full years of Tesla battery and drive train warranty left.

Why is he getting rid of it I don't remember him buying something else. :D

• Advertisement

Plus if you search the forum you will find every little thing that has gone wrong with the car as ELM posted about everything. Won't find a car with more detailed service history.

Yes you can. Mine :p

Linky

Why is he getting rid of it I don't remember him buying something else. :D

He's buying a house, needs cash to pay off a personal loan so he can get better mortgage approval from the bank.

Yes you can. Mine :p

Linky

I'd say yours, ELM's, slave1's have the the same amount of public history. ELM got his before yours though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I got full Tesla invoice history when I got the car, previous owner printed everything out, great to know what’s been done and for me the single item left is driver door handle which is weird as you would think that would be the first one to go

Or this one? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s-85d-417bhp-automatic-model-panor/28126479

I think the one up in Stillorgan Motors is a 60, or at least that's what is says on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Overpriced.
    10k more than mine with smaller battery and RWD.
    On sale for months.
    Probably worth 41-42k max

Or this one? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/tesla-model-s-85d-417bhp-automatic-model-panor/28126479

I think the one up in Stillorgan Motors is a 60, or at least that's what is says on their website.
    That ones a better price than the S70, which is odd considering it's a dealer sale

ELM327 wrote: »
    That ones a better price than the S70, which is odd considering it's a dealer sale

That one sold the same day

Overpriced.
    10k more than mine with smaller battery and RWD.
    On sale for months.
    Probably worth 41-42k max

Is yours still for sale?

No, mine sold in about 10 days for pretty much exactly what I was asking.

Teslas tend to either a) sell almost straight away or b) sit for months. The b) cohort are overpriced.

• Advertisement

No, mine sold in about 10 days for pretty much exactly what I was asking.

Teslas tend to either a) sell almost straight away or b) sit for months. The b) cohort are overpriced.

Good to know!

Is there anyone that provides a checking over service for a Tesla if you want to move fast?

I just don't know enough to move super fast without someone holding my hand. :D

Good to know!

Is there anyone that provides a checking over service for a Tesla if you want to move fast?

I just don't know enough to move super fast without someone holding my hand. :D

Buy one with at least the battery / drivetrain still under warranty (so any car under 8 years old, or any car that you could possibly buy in Ireland / the UK as they weren't sold here until 2014 :D)

For the rest, if the stuff simply works, there is very little to worry about. Check all 4 doors, check sunroof, check if the computer / screen works ok, check if the car locks / unlocks when you walk away / approach. That's mostly it.

If you rather have more protection, just buy one that still has Tesla bumper to bumper warranty left. Plenty of cars out that that do, even early ones. My own car is now 7 years old and still has the guts of a year full warranty left.

Buy one with at least the battery / drivetrain still under warranty (so any car under 8 years old, or any car that you could possibly buy in Ireland / the UK as they weren't sold here until 2014 :D)

For the rest, if the stuff simply works, there is very little to worry about. Check all 4 doors, check sunroof, check if the computer / screen works ok, check if the car locks / unlocks when you walk away / approach. That's mostly it.

If you rather have more protection, just buy one that still has Tesla bumper to bumper warranty left. Plenty of cars out that that do, even early ones. My own car is now 7 years old and still has the guts of a year full warranty left.

This is great advice, thanks!

Any tips on finance if you're not going through a dealer?

I think it's a terrible idea to buy a car on finance. If you can't afford it, save up first. You will save yourself thousands and thousands. But that's me, I'm a bit old fashioned and risk averse and I don't like wasting money on interest and finance costs and drive around in a car that is owned by the bank.

This is great advice, thanks!

Avant are currently cheapest - beating the banks by >2 ppt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I think it's a terrible idea to buy a car on finance. If you can't afford it, save up first. You will save yourself thousands and thousands. But that's me, I'm a bit old fashioned and risk averse and I don't like wasting money on interest and finance costs and drive around in a car that is owned by the bank.

While id normaly agree if you can get credit at less the 4% interest there's much beter things you could put that money into then a car that would actualy net you profit.

Doug has a good video about it

Stealthirl wrote: »
    if you can get credit at less the 4% interest there's much beter things you could put that money into then a car that would actualy net you profit.

Sure. Borrow money to play the stock market, great idea :p

Stock market? That's so OldSkool. Bitcoin.

Stock market? That's so OldSkool. Bitcoin.
    Dogecoin surely

• Advertisement

95jqtxn8de271.jpg

Hey lads

Any idea how much a replacement battery would cost for a 2015 75D approximately, weighing up the cost of going for newer model with longer warranty vs old, cheaperone and potential cost of replacing battery.

Thanks!

The battery will be under warranty until sometime in 2023! Also the batteries that gave trouble were mostly the early ones, up to 2014.

You wouldnt be replacing the battery anyway, there's chaps that can replace individual cells that have started in the US and UK.

You wouldnt be replacing the battery anyway, there's chaps that can replace individual cells that have started in the US and UK.

Indeed. The only major problem about buying a Tesla out of warranty in Ireland is that you depend on Te$$$$$la to fix it. Once there are indy workshops like they are popping up in the likes of the USA, the Netherlands, Norway, even the UK, this issue should be mostly alleviated.

Hey lads

Any idea how much a replacement battery would cost for a 2015 75D approximately, weighing up the cost of going for newer model with longer warranty vs old, cheaperone and potential cost of replacing battery.

Thanks!

Under warranty until 2023.
    But, when I had my 2014 P85 battery replaced they said it would have been circa €14k.

We have started to see some small indy’s pop up. EV Breakers up in Newry are very knowledgeable and have a constant supply of bits and bobs.

To give you an idea. I needed a HVJB from Tesla. €1300 part. They had the same part in stock for £190. They could have also fitted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

unkel wrote:
    The battery will be under warranty until sometime in 2023!

Do some of those warranties have milage limits? I think some are 8 years or 240,000kms?

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Do some of those warranties have milage limits? I think some are 8 years or 240,000kms?

Depends on the era of the car, early years have unlimited mileage, OP would need to check with specific car

Indeed. The only major problem about buying a Tesla out of warranty in Ireland is that you depend on Te$$$$$la to fix it. Once there are indy workshops like they are popping up in the likes of the USA, the Netherlands, Norway, even the UK, this issue should be mostly alleviated.

Tesla's weak link is
    a) Brutal inventory keeping
    b) Skillset for battery repair, but this is the same in a lot of locations i.e. it's easier to take out a HV battery and replace it that try to fix/refurb locally

Tesla's strengths are
    a) No need to make your way there for a service
    b) Their mobile Ranger service for small bits n bobs at your preferred location, usually your house

slave1 wrote: »
    Tesla's weak link is
    a) Brutal inventory keeping
    b) Skillset for battery repair, but this is the same in a lot of locations i.e. it's easier to take out a HV battery and replace it that try to fix/refurb locally

Tesla's strengths are
    a) No need to make your way there for a service
    b) Their mobile Ranger service for small bits n bobs at your preferred location, usually your house

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm thinking i can pay 35k for an older model and have the potential 14k replacement cost in 2023 if the battery claps out out of warranty. Or go for a newer 2017/2018 model at 50k and gave a longer warranty. What would you do?

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm thinking i can pay 35k for an older model and have the potential 14k replacement cost in 2023 if the battery claps out out of warranty. Or go for a newer 2017/2018 model at 50k and gave a longer warranty. What would you do?

Personal choice.
    But what models are you looking at? What versions?
    Standard S, D or PD?

• Advertisement
Advertisement