Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a 2nd-hand CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) Tesla from the UK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm thinking i can pay 35k for an older model and have the potential 14k replacement cost in 2023 if the battery claps out out of warranty.

You could pick up an older model that had the battery replaced in the last year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

unkel wrote: »
    You could pick up an older model that had the battery replaced in the last year or two.

Ye, I haven't seen many of these around. But that would be ideal.

Just looking for a standard S

Pity you didn't buy one in the UK last year. Because of Brexit, the cars seem to keep their value well. Perhaps the early cars will drop a bit more in value once they are out of battery warranty some time next year. My own car only has 12 months battery warranty left (and 8 months full bumper to bumper warranty for that matter)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ye, I haven't seen many of these around. But that would be ideal.

Just looking for a standard S

Where were you last week. I posted up mine just before I traded it in.
    All the boggles ironed out including 12v battery, main HV battery, wiper motor and door handles!

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/28560286

The two cars from boardsies were the two best value for money Model S for sale this year!

The two cars from boardsies were the two best value for money Model S for sale this year!

Where do you post the cars?

Ye I saw this one go up, seems like good value even through the dealer.

@Gumbo are you saying you replaced the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Ye I saw this one go up, seems like good value even through the dealer.

Theres an EV bargains thread and a cars for sale thread here. I posted mine in both and it sold within 10 days

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057599743&page=88

Replaced by Tesla under Warranty.

I put mine on here but only had a week to sell it.
    In that week i had 3 viewers on Donedeal but they couldnt get the cash together in time.

Gumbo wrote: »
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057599743&page=88

Replaced by Tesla under Warranty.

I put mine on here but only had a week to sell it.
    In that week i had 3 viewers on Donedeal but they couldnt get the cash together in time.

What car did you replace with? Surprised the dealer ad doesn't include that fact.

What car did you replace with?

A newer and even faster Tesla Model S performance. Naturally. :p

• Advertisement

What car did you replace with? Surprised the dealer ad doesn't include that fact.

2016 P90DL

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

2016 P90DL

Did we get a photo of this yet?

ELM327 wrote: »

They've done a decent deal on the warranty/extension as long as the ODO range is not an issue, but sweet Jesus, look at the price, €49k!!!
    + Dual charger, AP1
    - None of the nice extras

See here the price history, that asking will drop considerably before it's sold

https://teslascout.com/view.php?vin=5YJSB7E1XGF157866&lang=en&measuring=km

slave1 wrote: »
    Did we get a photo of this yet?

No not yet. I’ve been waiting to get a decent shot!

Spec List.

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive.
    Red Multi-Coat.
    21" Staggered Fit Turbine Wheels.
    Autopilot with convenience features.
    90 kWh Performance Pack.
    Ludicrous Mode with Ludicrous Plus.
    Premium Upgrades Package.
    Ambient Lighting.
    Hi Fidelity Sound System with Dolby Surround Sound.
    Homelink.
    LTE/4G Connection Upgrade.
    Smart Air Suspension.
    Pan Roof.
    Heated Steering Wheel.
    Heated Windscreen.
    All Seat Heating.
    Powered Liftgate.
    CCS Charger Upgrade.
    Free Unlimited Supercharging.
    Free Unlimited Premium Connectivity.

557773.jpeg

Lovely stuff. Just missing the MCU2 upgrade!

Poor value. There is a 2018 in a private sale on air suspension with HW2.5 EAP, charger upgrade, premium connectivity, still under full bumper to bumper warranty until next year (and 5 years battery and drivetrain warranty left) for asking €55k

I doubt he'd refuse a serious offer from a genuine buyer of very early 50s

Linky

That one has less warranty and double the miles.
    AP2.5 is a big improvement though. Also it's awd

Poor value. There is a 2018 in a private sale on air suspension with HW2.5 EAP, charger upgrade, premium connectivity, still under full bumper to bumper warranty until next year (and 5 years battery and drivetrain warranty left) for asking €55k

I doubt he'd refuse a serious offer from a genuine buyer of very early 50s

Linky

A lot of money in a private sale but I like the extras

• Advertisement

A lot of money in a private sale but I like the extras
    That's the problem with selling the likes of a newish Tesla in a private sale. So much money to hand over to some randomer.

No not yet. I’ve been waiting to get a decent shot!

Spec List.

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive.
    Red Multi-Coat.
    21" Staggered Fit Turbine Wheels.
    Autopilot with convenience features.
    90 kWh Performance Pack.
    Ludicrous Mode with Ludicrous Plus.
    Premium Upgrades Package.
    Ambient Lighting.
    Hi Fidelity Sound System with Dolby Surround Sound.
    Homelink.
    LTE/4G Connection Upgrade.
    Smart Air Suspension.
    Pan Roof.
    Heated Steering Wheel.
    Heated Windscreen.
    All Seat Heating.
    Powered Liftgate.
    Free Unlimited Supercharging.
    Free Unlimited Premium Connectivity.

Nice list of extras, I know it's not huge money but I like the free SuC, I'm not a fan of being tied to every day expenses when they can be managed.
    I haven't had to pay to charge my S since March between PV and Free DC charging.
    The Irish SuC network getting great traction this year, be great to see the new ones all operational by end of the year.
    I have a Scotland trip soon (hopefully....Covid) and it's a whore having to SuC to 95% at Castlebellingham in order to make it to Glasgow SuC, a Belfast SuC would really be great for this trip

That's the problem with selling the likes of a newish Tesla in a private sale. So much money to hand over to some randomer.

I think a used S with "everything done under warranty" is the sweet spot, 2014-2016 pre facelift era

That's what a lot of people seem to think. Hence the cheap private sale prices. I don't get it myself though, the car is under full bumper to bumper Tesla warranty for another year. Anything faulty and Tesla will fix it for free and you get a courtesy Tesla for as long as you need it. As long as you make sure before you buy that the car wasn't crashed or hasn't outstanding finance, you are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why would anyone buy a Tesla?

I think a used S with "everything done under warranty" is the sweet spot, 2014-2016 pre facelift era

I'm biased of course but I think the buyer of my one, facelift S90D with everything done under warranty except battery replacement, along with all required upgrades done at cost, got the best deal of the past while.

Otherwise a cheap S/P85 with AP1 and free supercharging is likely the sweet spot. I'd love a P85+ with Ap1.

• Advertisement

That's what a lot of people seem to think. Hence the cheap private sale prices. I don't get it myself though, the car is under full bumper to bumper Tesla warranty for another year. Anything faulty and Tesla will fix it for free and you get a courtesy Tesla for as long as you need it. As long as you make sure before you buy that the car wasn't crashed or hasn't outstanding finance, you are good.

Same as myself, I'll happily buy a car that has finance on it and get a good deal. Or buy from an auction etc. Happy to get a bargain, don't care that most Irish folks are too silly to see it!

Larbre34 wrote: »

lol

Why would anyone buy a Rolex? A €6.99 Casio fw-91 is all the watch you ever need surely?

Agreed, I got mine via private UK sale, fully loaded, 2.5yrs bumper to bumper Tesla warranty, unseen during lockdown, bank transfer.
    Key with any purchase is ready funds and ready to make the deal

Key with any purchase is ready funds and ready to make the deal

This is essential if you want a good to get a good deal. Ready to pay immediately, no concerns about financing or selling your old car. No procrastinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Why would anyone buy a Rolex? A €6.99 Casio fw-91 is all the watch you ever need surely?

Yes of course, but you're only supporting my argument.

A Tesla is not the automotive equivalent of a Rolex, its more like a Sekonda or a Lorus.

Outwardly fine, but badly made, of crap materials, poorly appointed and ultimately disposable.

If you want an EV, buy one from an established maker. If you want a luxury EV, buy a Mercedes or a Porsche.

And don't take my word for it, before anyone blindly hands over a chunk of change for a Tesla because they are apparently fashionable, read the industry owner and reliability surveys from all over the globe. Its not pretty.

• Advertisement

Lovely stuff. Just missing the MCU2 upgrade!

I’ll seriously considering it once I get a few more paying jobs to absorb the upgrade price :)

Nice list of extras, I know it's not huge money but I like the free SuC, I'm not a fan of being tied to every day expenses when they can be managed.
    I haven't had to pay to charge my S since March between PV and Free DC charging.
    The Irish SuC network getting great traction this year, be great to see the new ones all operational by end of the year.
    I have a Scotland trip soon (hopefully....Covid) and it's a whore having to SuC to 95% at Castlebellingham in order to make it to Glasgow SuC, a Belfast SuC would really be great for this trip

That’s it. I never used the SuC yet but it’s nice to know if it’s expanded near me or I do use it, it’s free :)

Forgot to mention it has the CCS upgrade too.

The only thing I will miss is the dual charger set up in my old car. 22kw in Lidl which I’m in 3 times a week with work was very appealing. Now I only get 11kw but hey, I can’t complain.

The same reason why anyone would support rugby. Or buy a rugby jersey. You like rugby. Others don’t. The great thing about personal choice that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Its all about efficient, intelligent engineering :)
    557826.png

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

I wouldn’t worry about supercharging that high. There are so many rapids in Scotland on the A77 up to Glasgow. Used to do it all the time (before COVID). If you are going belfast I used to use shore road charger while waiting on the ferry although with recent developments in NI that is maybe unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bf

They've done a decent deal on the warranty/extension as long as the ODO range is not an issue, but sweet Jesus, look at the price, €49k!!!
    + Dual charger, AP1
    - None of the nice extras

See here the price history, that asking will drop considerably before it's sold

https://teslascout.com/view.php?vin=5YJSB7E1XGF157866&lang=en&measuring=km

I see the finer detail of the advert says first registered 28 April 2018 despite the page saying 2016?!

bf wrote: »
    I see the finer detail of the advert says first registered 28 April 2018 despite the page saying 2016?!

That means the first time the scraper website saw it on Tesla CPO sale, not first time it was sold new

I thought about this for a day or two after the ad appeared, rang tesla sales and they confirmed it was a 181 reg. While a basic spec, at mid €40s it was a bargain.

thought about it for an hour or two and decided to go for it - went onto website to reserve and it was gone. Frantic phone call to sales - I was 20 minutes too late 😕

I'd say that's the newest plate on an AP1 car there is anywhere in the world tbh. What a unicorn.

That was a bargain alright. Sorry you missed out bf, but if you see a bargain, you just have to buy immediately. Be prepared if you see one again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

• Advertisement

True, wasn’t even looking though - would have the small problem of moving the ETron on, wouldn’t be taking a tesla trade in price on that 😁

etron is a very good EV, not a huge step up to a Model S surely? What makes you want the Model S?

I think if I owned an etron, I'd hang on to it for another few years and then see what's around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

So any opinions on this? From a private buyer in NI. No VRT, no VAT AFAIK. About €33,000 before haggling. I'd be a cash buyer. 12 months warranty (July 2nd 2014).

Any reason not to bite?

Ah it was curiousity, hard to refuse a bargain. I’m always “looking” on DoneDeal & Carzone but the ETron will do me grand for another while!

Private sale. Where did you see 12 month warranty? It's probably just the remainder of the 8 year Tesla battery and drive train warranty. How familiar are you with these early Model S? I've known you for a long time on the classic cars forum and you are normally very well informed, so based on that, yes this car is very good value for money.

I doubt has it 240mile range, more like 360kms I'd say, ask for photos with car set to "typical" range.

That car has premium sound but little more by way of extras, I'd be asking owner for all repairs carried out.

No AP is the big one. Other than that, ask if it has had the battery replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Yes, that's what I was referring to, the 8 year battery warranty.

Might pick one up as I'll be over and back to Germany again several times a year once things clear up a bit, but will probably just pick up a newer model and go with a longer warranty.

To be honest you'd get one with AP1 for near that price. "No AP" cars make sense but it should begin with a 2 not a 3. Theres a 2015 S70D with AP1 for sale for 35k.

• Advertisement

You can use the "no AP" as a bargaining tool for sure. A car without it, is worth a couple grand less than an identical car with it. Now depending on your priorities, you could either pay up the extra for an AP car. Or live with the car with no AP. Or the third way: buy an Open Pilot kit second hand for €300-€400 and install it in an hour of your time and have a better system than Tesla's 😁

Advertisement