Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ssd Dell Studio Xps 435mt Intel Core I7

Options
  • 17-01-2018 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Picked up a Dell Dell Studio Xps 435mt Intel Core I7 which has two 1tb sata drives. The machine flies Windows ten but takes a while to boot. I'm wondering what's the most straightforward way to put an ssd in it? I've seen reference that the existing drives could be in a raid configuration?

What drive could I buy that would suffice for system partition and would allow me move my windows 10 installation easily? Have nothing on the machine yet apart from operating system and office. Few installed programs like power dvd and anti virus.

I'm guess I can buy and ssd and need a bay adapter and new cable?

Thanks for advice,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    Picked up a Dell Dell Studio Xps 435mt Intel Core I7 which has two 1tb sata drives. The machine flies Windows ten but takes a while to boot. I'm wondering what's the most straightforward way to put an ssd in it? I've seen reference that the existing drives could be in a raid configuration?

What drive could I buy that would suffice for system partition and would allow me move my windows 10 installation easily? Have nothing on the machine yet apart from operating system and office. Few installed programs like power dvd and anti virus.

I'm guess I can buy and ssd and need a bay adapter and new cable?

Thanks for advice,
    Mick

Found this..

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/upgrade-old-dell-xps-435-ssd-best-option-possible-2058469/

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1st Gen iSeries is quite old, and that board is SATA2 so youll only see a small speed bump. Not worth upgrading.

Use it until its too slow to keep, then change machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First gen i7 is still pretty decent for most uses including gaming, so I wouldn't count it out. Even with sata 2 you'd see a huge difference with an SSD vs a mechanical HDD.

Be as easy just to install fresh windows on the SSD. Installing via bootable USB made using the Windows Media Creation Tool is very fast and very painless.

A 120GB drive is plenty if you just want to have windows and a few programmes on the SSD, then use your 2 1TB drives for storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭micks_address

First gen i7 is still pretty decent for most uses including gaming, so I wouldn't count it out. Even with sata 2 you'd see a huge difference with an SSD vs a mechanical HDD.

Be as easy just to install fresh windows on the SSD. Installing via bootable USB made using the Windows Media Creation Tool is very fast and very painless.

A 120GB drive is plenty if you just want to have windows and a few programmes on the SSD, then use your 2 1TB drives for storage.

Once booted it actually is pretty decent.. Torn now as had wrote it off

Advertisement