Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"We don't want Scientology in our town" - Hypocrisy?

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 bot44

This is the cover of the original book by L. Ron Hubbard called Dianetics. Note the byline says "The modern science of mental health".

L. Ron Hubbard decided to turn Dianetics into a religion called Scientology to avoid paying taxes. You can actually pinpoint the time it turned from a 'science' to a 'religion'. He basically wrote a self help book and then decided to add some science fiction to it to turn it into a religion.

The entire premise of it is to make money. As in it's literally part of its teachings. You have to pay massive amounts of money to get to the next level.

Everyone already knows all this. The thread is about why other organisations with even worse teachings and appalling history of human rights abuses dont attract criticism from the same quarters as Scientology does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

bot44 wrote: »
    Everyone already knows all this. The thread is about why other organisations with even worse teachings and appalling history of human rights abuses dont attract criticism from the same quarters as Scientology does.

Yes because there are no threads on boards that are anti-muslim, anti-christian.

Yes because there are no threads on boards that are anti-muslim, anti-christian.

I see posters who call any percieved criticism of Islam racist on this thread telling us Scientology is horrendous. We've no end of great defenders of Catholicism with its enormous wealth, its own banks and 170 billion dollar wealth in the US alone telling us that to be careful because Scientology is after your money. Its a bit rich is all.

I see posters who call any percieved criticism of Islam racist on this thread telling us Scientology is horrendous. We've no end of great defenders of Catholicism with its enormous wealth, its own banks and 170 billion dollar wealth in the US alone telling us that to be careful because Scientology is after your money. Its a bit rich is all.

So you are playing the man/woman, rather than the relevant posts in here. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's a thread about people protesting a drug rehabilitation centre set up by the Church of Scientology.

You originally started off comparing the collection basket in mass to the way Scientology makes their money. Comparing one to the other is quite frankly ridiculous. Then you started about clerical abuse which is a completely different issue than someone putting 20 cent in a collection basket.

You keep quoting me and arguing a completely different point to what I said. And I have no clue where you got the idea that no one criticises religions. There's page upon page of them being criticised in this thread for something that has nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

This is the cover of the original book by L. Ron Hubbard called Dianetics. Note the byline says "The modern science of mental health".

Dianetics.JPG

L. Ron Hubbard decided to turn Dianetics into a religion called Scientology to avoid paying taxes. You can actually pinpoint the time it turned from a 'science' to a 'religion'. He basically wrote a self help book and then decided to add some science fiction to it to turn it into a religion.

The entire premise of it is to make money. As in it's literally part of its teachings. You have to pay massive amounts of money to get to the next level.

I remember being approached a few times outside their office on Abbey Street years ago to take their "personality test".

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

xzanti wrote: »
    I remember being approached a few times outside their office on Abbey Street years ago to take their "personality test".
    They don't let you know that they are Scientologists either, so you could pass the first test, be a Scientologist and not even know it. :p

You originally started off comparing the collection basket in mass to the way Scientology makes their money. Comparing one to the other is quite frankly ridiculous. Then you started about clerical abuse which is a completely different issue than someone putting 20 cent in a collection basket.

I never mentioned collection baskets mate, you must be mixing me up with someone else.

How do you think the Catholic church got its money which it keeps in its own banks in its own private country out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Scientology is not a religon and should never be classed as such.

sheroman01 wrote: »

Seems kinda like a religion to me. Maybe you mean it isnt a Judeo-Christian religion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

sheroman01 wrote: »

Imo it's much the same as most religions. Starts with a fictional book, some people fall for the fiction and then unscrupulous people learn to exploit the believers for their own benefit .

Christianity, Islam, Scientology. They all follow the same formula.

Seems kinda like a religion to me. Maybe you mean it isnt a Judeo-Christian religion?

Would you describe Ponzi schemes as religions??

Would you describe Ponzi schemes as religions??

If they involved supreme beings, loads of nonsensical supernatural hokum, various designated sacred texts, hierarchies of belief and authority in the organisation and promise of redemeption after life I probably would yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Scientology is a known scam, which thoroughly relies on your ability to donate money to them, your car, house etc, in order to 'progress' through the religion.

Sounds like FIFA Ultimate Team.

Advertisement