Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo-Labo.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

the corpo wrote: »
    I think it's genius, and can't *wait* to show my kids the video tomorrow, they'll be utterly enthralled.

The Nintendo R+D department must be a fairly joyous place to work these days 8)

With the amount of stuff they're clearly smoking, I'm sure it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The way the piano works is extremely clever, even cardboard with innovative engineering can have a use. Each key has a reflective strip which comes into view of the IR camera when a key is pressed and reads what note it is. Cardboard dials modify the tone and add effects to the sound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Played the trial on Vita thinking I had the whole game through Plus.

Anyway, was just thinking, how long until that VR type setup is rejigged to be used on something like Doom?

Yeah, Switch Cardboard can only be months away.

No need for $300 headsets, just one of these kits, an update for Mario Kart 8 DX and of you go.
    I understand concurrent players on Arms is flagging somewhat, get it working with a headset and it's ready to rock.
    No one would mind the resolution issues, it's a sure fire winner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Also, as highlighted in that hands on article, Nintenod hopes to have a system to sell individual card sheets for replacements.

Funny how the reaction is 50/50 "OMG this is crazy fun looking, my kids will love it" and "WTF Nintendo that was ****, release some new games FFS"
    Anyway, was just thinking, how long until that VR type setup is rejigged to be used on something like Doom?

Well I may be wrong, but one of the things made in the video looked like some kind of pump action gun. Its at 2:01 in the video, with a cardboard camera with a twistable focus lens before it.....cmon Nintendo, just announce a Pokemon Snap pack already!

If you combined multiple Joy-Con pairs....could you make a cardboard Steel Battalion controller? Already a pedal made for the motorbike kit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With the amount of stuff they're clearly smoking, I'm sure it is.

Dude, dude... What about... A cereal box robot suit that's powered by the Switch!!!
    That's awesome!!!
    Write it down quick!!!
    Pass the nachos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

This is the most childish fricken awesome thing I'll ever buy in my life. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

iamtony wrote: »
    This is the most childish fricken awesome thing I'll ever buy in my life. Can't wait!

My daughter loves the switch and arts and crafts and cardboard houses, she's gona be over joyed when I show her this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, Switch Cardboard can only be months away.

No need for $300 headsets, just one of these kits, an update for Mario Kart 8 DX and of you go.

Combine with the motorbike handlebar kit for steering in Mario Kart.

Also be advisable to keep the big bit every piece is popped out of. Use as a stencil for replacements

Edit: or just print them out
    http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-labo-kits-apparently-not-mandatory-cardboards-pattern-will-be-offered-for-free-cartridge-still-needed/

Wonder how much the game on its own would be

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just reading one of the hands on impression from a journalist and one thing sticks out. I never realised the joy-con had this ability, if he is describing it right. It would explain the joy-con pointing outwards in the Camera creation.

"The Toy-Con all make use of the main Switch console and Joy-Con in unique ways. The most basic creation is the Toy-Con RC Car (which is actually a remote-controlled bug-like creature not entirely dissimilar in concept to the Hexbug Nano range of toys) and this takes around 10 minutes to make and uses the HD Rumble of two Joy-Con to move around the room; you control the action with the Switch touchscreen and you can even view the world through the right-hand Joy-Con's IR camera, sending the bug on secret missions inside unexplored nooks and crannies. Outside of that the potential for competitive play is obvious; one of the demonstrations we took part in was a sumo battle where the last bug inside the circle wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I always loved Nintendo cardboard game boxes and now the release this! You beautiful bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

There's also a customisation set that will be available 20th April for $9.99.

DTzpkUUX0AAq_q9.jpg:small

https://labo.nintendo.com/kits/customization-set/

I'd imagine that's €10 for us.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

10 quid for some stickers. :rolleyes:
    Maybe you can use the box they come in too. :pac:

If the only announcement was the sticker and accessory set I would have probably been happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I guess I'm really not the target market for this - have zero interest in anything I saw in that video. But am interested to see where they go with this!

I'll be interested to see how much content is in that robot game.
    Certainly I would say the other pack will be open ended in terms of play, but the robot title hopefully might have a decent single player mode.
    Think of the possibilities of an online multiplayer mode though, perhaps custom designed robots, out stomping across virtual Japanese neighbourhoods, battling against monsters, so much scope!

If this is the kind of innovation they can throw out, without a leak in sight, can we imagine what else might be on the cards?

It throws the Sony and MS approach into sharp relief, I'd much rather a company bringing Labo to the table than betting my gaming future on 4k and HDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

IGN France appears to have a bit of additional information about Nintendo Labo. According to the site’s report, “the kits will not be mandatory – although the cartridge is needed – since Nintendo plans to offer the cardboard design pattern for free for aspiring builders”.

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-labo-kits-apparently-not-mandatory-cardboards-pattern-will-be-offered-for-free-cartridge-still-needed/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I watched the video last night and my reaction was 'what is this I don't even....'

Having watched it again this morning I have done a 180 and now think it looks amazing. Not convinced I could get away with having 20 cardboard crafts lying around the house however.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I have zero interest in this, in fact i think it looks terrible. I just want a new metroid announcement.

Edit - This comment from Reddit sums it up for me,

Miyamoto: “Let’s make Wii Music 2”

Nintendo Employees: “But no one liked the first one. People didn’t have fun playing invisible instruments.

*Miyamoto pulls cardboard out of the trash.

Miyamoto: “Lets make Wii Music 2”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I have zero interest in this, in fact i think it looks terrible. I just want a new metroid announcement.

Nintendo Employees: “But no one liked the first one. People didn’t have fun playing invisible instruments.

You mean Nintendo made something creative and not specifically created to cater to you or core gamers? How awful, you should hate it.

Mod Snip: No personal insults please

You mean Nintendo made something creative and not specifically created to cater to you or core gamers? How awful, you should hate it.

Mod Snip: No personal insults please

Sorry I'm not excited about cardboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There's a lot to be excited about this even if you're not excited about it in the slightest. In so far as, they packed a huge amount of **** into the joycons, and they are thinking of ways to use them that don't conform to the standard designed-by-a-committee-of-shareholders approach. The controllable hex-bug using the vibration of two opposed joycons, it's clever. I don't own any hexbugs and I don't intend to change that in the future, but it's still clever, and it's a good start. I mean, someone joked about a Switch-controlled vibrator, and it's not going to happen but the thing is it could now (and with 2 sets of HD rumble motors with massive battery life, grinning corpses would start showing up all over japan), I mean anything could. Any Indy can go out there now and do whatever they can think of, the libraries exist, and they don't need to worry about expensive peripheral manufacture. They're democratising those ideas that used to be trapped in the hands of shovelware merchants with big publishers.

It will hopefully get people thinking.

Personally I really want a Spiderman licensed game ships with Spiderman mask that fits 2 joycons, one behind each ear. You now have a functioning spideysense as long as you have another controller to play with.

Banjo wrote: »
    Personally I really want a Spiderman licensed game ships with Spiderman mask that fits 2 joycons, one behind each ear. You now have a functioning spideysense as long as you have another controller to play with.

The touch screen it'self can be the main controller, or there might be an option to use another controller as you suggest.

There's tons of scope here for a generation of content.

And, unlike the toys to life concept, this requires a decidedly low tech and cheap add-on, not requiring the kind of investment in manufacturing that Toys to Life need.

Marvel, Star Wars, Disney and so on, tons of brand new licencing opportunities right there.

This could be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Keza MacDonald reports Nintendo are replacing the cardboard for free, but you can actually just glue it back together, should you not want the fuss.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jan/17/nintendo-labo-cardboard-switch-models-interactive-toys

Fully anticipate "my cat won't get outta my Labo" to be in the troubleshooting section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

im excited to see what people can make from these, going beyond putting it together with its intended instructions.

I forgot to say i do hope it's a success though, simply because it's Nintendo, but the price is a big factor here and it's just too high imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

but the price is a big factor here and it's just too high imo.

This is Nintendo cardboard though, forged from cherry blossom trees in the fires of Mount Fuji, crafted by the great senseis who dwell in Kyoto. Please understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I forgot to say i do hope it's a success though, simply because it's Nintendo, but the price is a big factor here and it's just too high imo.
    The price is only an issue when you factor in how robust the stuff is.
    I know in most houses, anything made of cardboard will eventually get wrecked by being stood on or sat on or having a pile of books dropped on it or being eaten by the family pet. It's not going to be carefully put away in drawers, it's going to be a ragged mess within two weeks.

So Nintendo are going to have to be clear on what the expectations are here; how to replace parts, how quickly can they be replaced, and how often.

If you spend $80 and kids get 2/3 months out of it, then you're probably on the right track. If it barely lasts a single morning, people are gonna be annoyed.

I do think they've hit on a couple of good segments here - there's an anti-plastic tidal wave coming. Society is becoming less tolerant of ever increasing amounts of plastic being produced. So something like this where the entire toy is easily recyclable and reusable, appeals strongly to people. If this was a collection of plastic accessories, parents just see a collection of **** that will get thrown in a drawer for 5 years.

Plus production is greener - it doesn't need to be mass-produced in China and shipped all over the world; the patterns can be provided to any cardboard factory anywhere, produced and shipped locally. It is not cheaper to ship millions of tonnes of pre-cut cardboard from China to the EU, than it is to produce it locally.

The "how does it work" aspect to it is good too - parents are more encouraged when their kids appear to be learning stuff rather than just looking at the screen. So the Lego-like aspect to it is important.

As said, this will either go spectacularly badly or become the next huge thing and influence the creation of a whole new market concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just showed the video to some of the gang at work. Everyone very impressed by it. This has the potential to be a system seller. If they got this out in time for Christmas just gone it could have been huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

But it's Nintendo cardboard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

This looks remarkable so far and is a genuine new way to interact with games. Really looking forward to showing my son the trailer after school and seeing his reaction. Hands on previews have been great so far too.

Advertisement