Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo-Labo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

sligeach wrote: »
    There's also a customisation set that will be available 20th April for $9.99.

DTzpkUUX0AAq_q9.jpg:small

https://labo.nintendo.com/kits/customization-set/

I'd imagine that's €10 for us.

Or if you shop in gamestop then it's €20..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Wonder if can claim the game protection if the cardboard breaks or tears. It's technically part of the game they sold you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Couldn’t resist - pre ordered the Robot kit with Symths.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

AMGer wrote: »
    Couldn’t resist - pre ordered the Robot kit with Symths.

I ordered the variety pack so we'll have a bit more to build.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Wonder if can claim the game protection if the cardboard breaks or tears. It's technically part of the game they sold you.

A pre-owned copy will be already coloured in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Project Giant Robot has been a running sideshow joke of Miyamoto's for years. He's finally got his wish after all this time, not only by charging €90 for a project that probably has no more depth than the other infamous twin experiment, Star Fox Guard, but also by dressing people up to look like prats.
    DTz4QU-WsAAuFt1?format=jpg

Someone's got to pay the bills for all those years of experimentation. Think about that, I can guarantee this game will not be remembered in any GOTY award ceremony, stick some paper to your body(that costs probably €5 at most) and pay €90? WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The RC car one apparently has a nightvision type view from the IR camera. People who tried it out were set up with the RC car in a maze of obstacles with a Kirby figure at the end, with the maze then covered so you couldn't see. They then had to manoeuvre through the maze using the vibrations and the camera view on the screen to reach the Kirby. Could see a lot of interesting uses in that form.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Think about that, I can guarantee this game will not be remembered in any GOTY award ceremony, stick some paper to your body(that costs probably €5 at most) and pay €90? WTF?

Come off it man, it's a project for kids and their parents to build together and then see the results on screen which you/your kid then control. Apparently it takes upwards of 4 hours to build the robot and 2 for the piano(not sure on that but I remember reading it today but could be wrong).

As for the €5 paper comment, that's just daft. These are priced aggressively, at €70 and €80, towards other STEM/Arduino kits and can teach how physics/engineering works in a fun way. If I was ten years old again and could build a mini mech suit, then have it show up on screen with me controlling it I'd be ecstatic.

As for the won't be remembered for GOTY awards, that one has me stumped. Seriously. Why would that even enter anyones head as a criticism of this.

Anyway, maybe it won't be GOTY but one thing is for certain, when it comes to awards for interesting tech at the end of the year Nintendo Labo will most likely be in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Project Giant Robot has been a running sideshow joke of Miyamoto's for years. He's finally got his wish after all this time, not only by charging €90 for a project that probably has no more depth than the other infamous twin experiment, Star Fox Guard, but also by dressing people up to look like prats.

Someone's got to pay the bills for all those years of experimentation. Think about that, I can guarantee this game will not be remembered in any GOTY award ceremony, stick some paper to your body(that costs probably €5 at most) and pay €90? WTF?

Seriously, where's your sense of fun! Gosh darn it lighten up fellow.

I actually don't understand why you're persisting with Nintendo, if almost everything they do fills you such bitterness and makes you so cynical.

I'll like it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Aren't you a little ray of sunshine

Watched the video with my wife and afterwards we just said to each other that it looked fcuking awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I was ready to slate this stupid thing after seeing the images.

However I watched the video earlier and have to say it looks like great craic, even though I still don't know what it's for.

Although I do think the price point is too high. €35 would be the sweet spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

We have a homeless crisis in this country that will become even worse when gangs of kids are going round stealing their cardboard beds to build robots and pianos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Anyone thinking you are just being sold Nintendo branded cardboard for €90 just doesn't understand how a business works or is just a bit dim.

From the outset at least, the piano seems like a very intricate design. Aside from the keys, it has a number of working dials and buttons whose movements are picked up by the Joycon's camera which are then translated into instructions for the Switch to execute.

That's an incredible amount of R&D. Not only does the design have to function correctly but there would also have been a certain amount of stress testing involved, especially for something as malleable as cardboard. What happens if a piano key is half a millimetre off centre after assembly? Will it still function? That's the kind of questions the engineering team would ask themselves.

Should Nintendo offer these services for free? Would you sell a product based purely on the cost of materials?

They also have to develop the game for it too and remember what 1-2 Switch cost of you're looking for a casual comparison.

...but also by dressing people up to look like prats.

That's very cruel. It was clearly stated beforehand and in the reveal that this was aimed at kids. Now they're prats for dressing up like a robot?

That's somewhat rhetorical by the way. You don't engage in discussion so I'm not expecting a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pac1Man wrote:
    That's very cruel. It was clearly stated beforehand and in the reveal that this was aimed at kids. Now they're prats for dressing up like a robot?

I think he was clearly on about adults buying these to use themselves.
    I'm cruelly looking forward to seeing YouTube videos of adults building these and breaking them as they are made for kids at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

ERG89 wrote: »
    I think he was clearly on about adults buying these to use themselves.
    I'm cruelly looking forward to seeing YouTube videos of adults building these and breaking them as they are made for kids at the end of the day.

"and those who are kids at heart"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Star Lord wrote:
    "and those who are kids at heart"

Yeah to assemble stuff.
    I'm sorry but if an adult dresses us as a box robot he's likely going to get little use out of it as it's likely built for the constraints of a child in terms of size and strength. I can already picture a video of a grown man ripping it apart like the Hulk by accident.
    The other stuff like the fishing rod or steering wheel just remind me of all the peripherals sold during the Wii days. Although circular devices moving in cardboard is quietly impressive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly?
    You could perhaps seek to be somewhat unpredictable in your comments.

Thinking of others a little more, this product may not be for you or me, but it certainly ticks certain on key boxes such as crafting, make and do, combining video gaming with more traditional dress up play.

The products are not cheap, that's a given, but this is both a cardboard kit and a game cart in each case, so there is some value there, and the robot kit looks pretty complex.

Given the typical price of a Switch title, certainly a physical 1st party title, is running at around €50, such a price for the Variety Kit isn't so bad, and the Robot Kit is more expensive but that may be down to the complexity of that model.

I would have some concerns about the durability of the product but, as I've stated before, the material appears to be structural cardboard, which is pretty strong stuff, and I would surmise it won't be too long before there are 3rd party versions made of other materials as well.

The Labo experiment does not displace more worthy projects, even if a person doesn't buy into it, one can at least laud Nintendo for being brave enough to try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Let’s see them sell me insurance on my cardboard if it gets scratched!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Given the typical price of a Switch title, certainly a physical 1st party title, is running at around €50, such a price for the Variety Kit isn't so bad, and the Robot Kit is more expensive but that may be down to the complexity of that model.

Will be interesting to see how much longevity the games have and whether you can still play them without the kit.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Labo experiment does not displace more worthy projects, even if a person doesn't buy into it, one can at least laud Nintendo for being brave enough to try something new.

Absolutely, it's great they are always trying new things even if they are hit and miss with the general public (and this family).

Also, why the need for insults ("prats", "dim") I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Nintendo developer 1 - I've just been thinking.

Nintendo developer 2 - Outside of the box like we always do here at Nintendo?

Nintendo developer 1 - more than anyone ever before.

Nintendo developer 2 - what?

Nintendo developer 1 - why don't we sell the box?

Nintendo money counter 1 - you beautiful bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Let’s see them sell me insurance on my cardboard if it gets scratched!

Or them breaking open new packs to place the empty box on the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

this is 100% not for me.

Doom is for me. Skyrim is for me.

this is for kids or the kid at hearts and the makers.

Imagine that, a console that caters for more than one type of gamer. How dare they!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Nintendo were very upfront about this not being aimed at adults and it won't stop them from making normal games too.

My young lad is a bit too young for this (at 4 months!) but I have a nephew that will absolutely love this concept. He is big into Lego & Minecraft (like a lot of kids his age) and I can see him wanting to get every kit they release!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

My young lad is a bit too young for this (at 4 months!)

The robot would be like his own cardboard mech. :eek:

this is 100% not for me.

Doom is for me. Skyrim is for me.

this is for kids or the kid at hearts and the makers.

Imagine that, a console that caters for more than one type of gamer. How dare they!!!!!!!

That's it in a nutshell.

Nintendo somehow, without chasing the tech zenith with each hardware iteration, have made a device that can genuinely appeal to the broadest demographic of all.

Owning an XB1 and a PS4 I'd be hard pressed to find a range of titles to appeal to the younger members of a household as well as the more seasoned veterans, yet Nintendo have done it with ease.

Certainly, the loudest voices against the device don't own one, but those who have dipped in to the Switch pool have been overwhelmingly positive in their response.
    Comments that the likes of Mario Odyssey is just a cartoon game for kids simply indicates that the speaker invariably hasn't played it, relying on Youtube instead.
    I mean, you don't have to like the game, but at least make the opinion informed.

And so with Labo, a system of construction and imagination that may well have created an entirely new genre of videogame.
    It's easy to be derisive, and there are longevity concerns, but only experience of the finished software can say that it's poor value, we should surely give it the benefit of the doubt until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Doc Brown: Nintendo! You've gotta come back with me!

Nintendo: Where?

Doc Brown: Back to the future.

*Doc opens a trash can.*

Nintendo: Whoa, wait a minute, what are you doing, Doc?

Doc Brown: I need fuel. Quick. Go ahead, quick. Get in the car!

Nintendo: No, no, no, no, no, no, Doc. I just got here, Labo just got here, we're gonna take the new creation for a spin.

Doc Brown: Well, bring Labo along. This concerns Labo too.

Nintendo: Whoa, wait a minute, Doc. What are you talking about? What happens to us in the future? What, do we become @$$H0L€;$ or something?

Doc Brown: No, no, no, no, no, Nintendo. Both you and Labo turn out fine. It's your prices, Nintendo. Something gotta be done about your prices!

Okay, that's funny.

You should have led with that one! :D

More of this, less of the other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

I was going to say nothing.

Looking at Reddit since the announcement I was thinking "WTF? Do people think that EVERY single Nintendo product has to be tailor made for their specific tastes?"

This looks like a great idea for kids. My 5 year old self would go absolutely f-ing crazy over something like this. Like, I'd start hyperventilating if my parents got me this. Seriously.

So I say, fair play to Nintendo and I hope this is fun for anyone who buys it.

Now. You. You, sir, have serious SERIOUS entitlement issues when it comes to Nintendo products. Not only do you expect everything to be precision engineered to meet your specific preferences you also expect the retail price to be in line with your expectations too.

Sure, it would be lovely if the Switch was a tenner and all peripherals were a fiver each but that's not how the world works.

Criticism is fine. Sometimes it's unfair and you should expect push back when people think it's unfair.

This is beyond that.

Nintendo: Here's a project aimed at a younger audience. You can buy it for your kids.

Sligeach: SO YOU WANT ME TO PAY 90 EUROS TO DRESS LIKE A PRAT? I BET THIS ISN'T EVEN GAME OF THE YEAR MATERIAL.

Hahahahahahahaha.

FFS. Its a toy for children. Just let them enjoy it. If it turns out to be terrible quality and doesn't sell then fair enough. No big deal.

Maybe one day Nintendo will finally release the "Nintendo Super Sligeach 64 Cube". It'll be the most powerful console ever built and it will have ALL the 3rd party games on it with free online and free Virtual Console and it'll come with all the controllers and accessories you can imagine and it'll be 100 euros online but 99.99 if you buy it from Gamestop.

The reviews will be glowing but not TOO glowing. There will be 10 new games every month and none of them will be ports and they'll all cost 50 euros at first but will be on sale for 25 euros within 6 months of release. They'll all be good games but reviewers won't go over the top with praise.

Most importantly Nintendo will never again try to appeal to younger kids or casual gamers and they'll never come up with another idea that isn't "Playstation but with Nintendo 1st party games too".

You got me. OK? You done got me all riled up! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I really dont get the "its overpriced for just cardboard" argument thats pervading the Web right now, but maybe thats my love of boardgames and cardgames so a box of cardboard can = fun for me.

Just payed €43 for the revised Netrunner set last week: thats a smallish box with about 230 playing cards, a small cardboard token sheet and a thin rulebook. No digital component, no app or anything!
    Should I walk back to the store and throw it in their faces screaming "You can make this for under a fiver you thieving b****ds!" and then throw a screaming tantrum on the ground?

Its laughable a lot of those with negative reactions to the Labo are throwing tantrums and generally acting the same way my 4 and 6 yr old nieces do when they dont get their way: everything HAS TO BE about them, there is nothing that can not be for them!

Worse is the response to the Feb Direct will now be "Ugh they rushed this out to appease us after they tried to sell us cardboard boxes!"

• Advertisement

The same people possibly who have bought €70 of a PS4 game, as well as another €20 of in game currency.
    Value is what you think, if Labo is worth the investment people will buy, otherwise the reviews will reveal quickly that the experience is too shallow for the money and people won't buy.
    Nintendo can't force anyone to buy it for goodness sake.
    Is it that some people are less annoyed by the product and more annoyed by the positive reaction to it?

Advertisement