Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo-Labo.

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

This looks class. Was skeptical at first like a lot of people as to how good this could really be but they seem to have put an emphasis on the games included this time which will hopefully give it a lot more longevity.
    Impressive stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

This is the first time Labo has really interested me. Any idea on a price?

Also, a fairly broad question, do these VR kits work for people with glasses? Myself and my youngest niece have glasses and I'd hate to shell out for this and for neither of us to get any use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Buy a Google Cardboard for a couple of quid in Argos if they're still doing them, and test that. Assume it's the same.
    I've used one and honestly I can't remember if I took my glasses off or not but it worked. I'll see if I can find mine when I get home and confirm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think Google Cardboard is functionally similar but the software is coming from a very different space, one is a offshoot of existing mobile games the other is from Nintendo.
    I'd say the best example is to try Astrobot and Eagle Flight on the PSVR, they are probably the most "Nintendo" on the Sony VR hardware.
    The only difference will be the lower def image, not so important when it's not trying to render photo realistic scenes.

Girlfriend has been using my Rift for a month. She wore her contacts for a night out recently and was shocked at the difference in clarity using the VR when she came home.. There's definitely a difference.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think Google Cardboard is functionally similar but the software is coming from a very different space, one is a offshoot of existing mobile games the other is from Nintendo.
    I'd say the best example is to try Astrobot and Eagle Flight on the PSVR, they are probably the most "Nintendo" on the Sony VR hardware.
    The only difference will be the lower def image, not so important when it's not trying to render photo realistic scenes.

If you can get a psvr for 1.49 from Argos then yes, by all means use that as a glasses on/off test instead

That video looks like a very good implementation of VR. But the different things like elephant or camera are sold separately?

The resolution will shock everyone who uses it, but that's the same for all VR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Banjo wrote: »
    If you can get a psvr for 1.49 from Argos then yes, by all means use that as a glasses on/off test instead

Always a charmer Banjo

And, as a glasses wearer I found both Cardboard and PSVR to be fine, if that's of any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I think Labo's target audience is clearly a younger one. But the beauty is that many adults will get to interact and share the experience with their young family members. You can't buy these experiences. Seeing the young 'uns smiling and being imaginative and learning all at the same time, honestly i think Labo is genius on Nintendo's part. I can't wait 'til my nephew is a little older so i can try Labo with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild come to Labo VR. Free update on 25th April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Gone from having no intent to buy the VR kit to preordering one straight after that video.

Absolutely intrigued as to how well it works.

Possibly helps that I'm currently reading Blake Harris's book about the start of Oculus at the moment too!

Corholio wrote: »
    Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild come to Labo VR. Free update on 25th April.

Oh
    My
    God

Mario Kart 8 Dx can't be too far behind.

This is going to be epic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The only issue I see is having to hold the actual labo up to your face, there's a complete lack of freedom in that.

The only issue I see is having to hold the actual labo up to your face, there's a complete lack of freedom in that.

I imagine the "official" elastic band can't be too far behind!

Of course, it won't be compatible with existing elastic bands, probably being described, instead, as a "band of elastic-ness" and will be available initially online only for €49.99....

I will buy one regardless....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I imagine the "official" elastic band can't be too far behind!

Of course, it won't be compatible with existing elastic bands, probably being described, instead, as a "band of elastic-ness" and will be available initially online only for €49.99....

I will buy one regardless....

I can see the headlines now:

Unofficial elastic bands "bricked" my Labo.

I can see the headlines now:

Unofficial elastic bands "bricked" my Labo.

Hmm
    Makes me think that Lego could get in on the Labo gig with Nintendo...

I'll have to patent a few concepts ASAP!

Can't wait to see all the new-hires in 20 years time rocking up to work, literally because of their hideous spinal curvature deformities from a youth spent wearing a half-tonne home-made Lego helmet with a slot for the Switch in the front

Banjo wrote: »
    Can't wait to see all the new-hires in 20 years time rocking up to work, literally because of their hideous spinal curvature deformities from a youth spent wearing a half-tonne home-made Lego helmet with a slot for the Switch in the front

At least my Virtual Boy has a table stand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Just watch a review on the vr and it looks brilliant. I got the first labo kit and said that was the end of my laboing days but I think I'll pick this up during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,576 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The latest Japanese charts are out and the sales of Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit are disappointing.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-15-2019-apr-08-apr-14.111988/

Nintendo fired their big guns at this version in an attempt to try and rescue a floundering new franchise. It didn't work. I feel like this was Nintendo's last big push with Labo. Unless it sells massively in other regions, they may quietly move on. SMO and BOTW aren’t 1st person experiences.

Switch hardware sales are healthy and up for the week. Sales of Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Final Fantasy X \ Final Fantasy X-2 were also poor, and they had a proper physical release unlike the rest of the world. It's an old overpriced port, but it continues the trend where unless it's a 1st party game, they generally sell poorly. Mind you, Yoshi's Crafted World sales are far from something to boast about.

Nintendo could do with a cheaper Switch model to replace the dead 3DS market, though maybe not for another 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭geotrig

so 2nd best seller in a week is bad... OK then

I suppose some are curious on how the Mario Odyssey and vote thing will work before picking it up

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Stop talking BS, that's negativity for the sake of it.
    It's not a proper outright game, they have the 2nd highest selling game for selling a piece of cardboard.

That's like selling sand to Egyptians...

Who cares if it's not top seller they making money from their easy low effort franchise, I'd love to see total sales figures, I bet its millions of euros, and it's not to be sniffed at! Cash is cash no matter how big u are.

I've no interest in labour myself, but I think it's cool watching reviews if it, VR headset got loads of good reviews, wulfden did cool review of it today.

I'm tempted now but I'd say they bring a premium VR headset out later in the year along with 1080p Switch, that give another boost to sales.
    Now Mario Kart 8 VR please!

Nintendo Labo VR review: There’s no “Nintendo magic” inside these lenses

Predictable I suppose.

My issue with this entire product is that it will be many people's first go at VR, and it won't be anything remotely like actual VR with proper tracking. There are still people who tried an alpha version Rift who dislike VR because of it.

Advertisement