Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Email etiquette?

• 17-01-2018 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭

Recently when sending emails, I started to question if there is a time etiquette around sending emails?
    What I mean is.. since all of us have our email synched to our phones, is there now a cut off time in the night when it's a no-no to send our emails because we know it might 'ping' on the other end.
    In past times, I often wouldn't catch up with emails until the night time and it never felt bad sending an email at midnight because I figured someone wouldn't log into their accounts until the next day.
    I'd never dare send a text late at night but is the same now for email? Maybe it's always been this way and I've just realised or am I over thinking it?

To thine own self be true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Send it, up to them to handle alerting noise.

Work email, if on your phone at all, should be on a work phone. Kill it out of hours unless on call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If you’re sending emails at midnight then your colleagues think you’re an arse but they can turn their phone on silent at night to ignore you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

The office stays in the office.

If it's something "urgent", it can wait until the morning. Or I'll make a note to remind myself.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

You're overthinking things OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

No it wouldn't be work email, thankfully don't have that on my phone.
    Sometimes I would be sending emails to businesses for personal reasons and I then I feel guilty that maybe someone has their home phone for work and get irked. Same goes for emails for catch up with friends.
    I've a few who we use email to correspond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Many modern phones default to a silent mode at night (except for alarm). Also many people work for international companies so it's normal for emails to arrive 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Why don't you put a delay o. The e-mail so it gets to them whe. They are back i

Boomerang for gmail.

Looks like you were up super early doing work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Boomerang for gmail.

Looks like you were up super early doing work...

I use Gmail but haven't figured out how to schedule mails.. boohoo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Boomerang? Scheduling? Etiquette?

Could you not just write them all at night and send them all at 8am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I'm sure these people are in most organisations but the people who wait till about 10pm at night to send an email just so they think they'll be seen as dedicated, busy etc are *****. Most of them are just FYIs then.:rolleyes:

Advertisement