Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit confused regarding the name

Options
  • 18-01-2018 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I want to name my baby boy - Laurence (Lawrence) but was told that its a very old-fashioned and not popular name in Ireland (I am polish). Husband likes Oliver, Daniel so havent decided yet. Just hope that if we give our boy Laurence name kids not gonna make fun, laugh at him as it might happen with rare names in my native country. Mill Thanks for any suggestions :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Laurence wouldn’t be a bother. It’s not an unusual name, and old fashioned names are popular again. It only takes one cool person to make a name great :)

Probably end up being called Larry either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Not unusual at all. Might be called “Lar” as a nickname in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

If children can be called Summer and Sky and Phoenix and Tulsa and Noah without being mocked, no reason they'd tease him about Laurence. It'll probably be shortened to Lar as time goes in - OK with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Blaja77

Oooops dont like that short Larry version :-) Thanks for your reply :-)

Probably end up being called Larry either way.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Your husbands choices Daniel will most likely be Dan or Danny and Oliver Ollie. So many names can be shortened and do tend to be in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Thestones wrote: »
    Your husbands choices Daniel will most likely be Dan or Danny and Oliver Ollie. So many names can be shortened and do tend to be in Ireland.
    Yes, you are right :-) love Daniel as well but in this case its too popular in Ireland :-D

This website is great for showing popularity of names

http://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

Blaja77 wrote: »
    Yes, you are right :-) love Daniel as well but in this case its too popular in Ireland :-D

I went with a name for my son that I knew might end up being shortened but I loved the name and we went with it anyway. We managed to keep his 'long' name for a few years but now he's in school it's inevitabley been shortened, I don't mind, it's suit him.
    You can always go for a short name and then it can't be shortened! Luke for example.

Mill Thanks, just hope when he grows up he will be happy about his name :-)

As happy as Larry.

• Advertisement

its been over one month and its time to decide :-) Dont want to give him a polish name which is difficult to pronounce :-) Larry doesnt sound as classy as Lawrence :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

My son was named after me when he was born, our names including middle are 100% identical which makes for confusion when the postman arrives at times.

Only 7 children in Ireland had the name, it can be shortened to an abbreviated name and I use the short version, my boy is likewise.

All that matters is a name you are happy with.

I know of a 10 year old kid called Laurence, he’s known as Larry in school, doesn’t bother him though as he thinks he’s the cool kid in the class with a nice name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,268 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

How about the Irish for Lawrence? - Lorcan

gammygils wrote: »
    How about the Irish for Lawrence? - Lorcan
    Beautiful idea :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There ya go! Sorted!

My son was named after me when he was born, our names including middle are 100% identical which makes for confusion when the postman arrives at times.

Only 7 children in Ireland had the name, it can be shortened to an abbreviated name and I use the short version, my boy is likewise.
    I know of a 10 year old kid called Laurence, he’s known as Larry in school, doesn’t bother him though as he thinks he’s the cool kid in the class with a nice name :)
    Million Thanks :-) You are absolutely right :-) Just wish he could tell me which one to choose :-) Dont know why I dont want Oliver even though all relatives and my husband insists to choose it :-)

Gonna tell my husband and see his reaction :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Laurence O'Toole and Oliver Plunkett - two well-known Irish saints. You could give him both names and keep everyone happy.

Mind you, if he was called Laurence Oliver he'd forever be getting called Olivier so Lorcan Oliver might be a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Oooops dont like that short Larry version :-) Thanks for your reply :-)

Probably end up being called Larry either way.
    [/QUOTE]
    Be grand. Once your family name isn't Murphy.

Laurence O'Toole and Oliver Plunkett - two well-known Irish saints. You could give him both names and keep everyone happy.

Mind you, if he was called Laurence Oliver he'd forever be getting called Olivier so Lorcan Oliver might be a better choice.

Thank you :-)

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Be grand. Once your family name isn't Murphy.[/quote]
    Its neither Murphy nor King :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

What did your husband think of Lorcan? I love the name

Yes, 'Lorcán' struck mé or 'Dónal' for Daniel.

P.S. in modern Ireland, Dónal is usually spelt with only one L but in the Sloinnteoir (a much-respected book of the 'correct' Irish for surnames and some first names) it is given as Dónall. Incidentally, the Sloinnteoir gives 'Labhrás' for Laurence (as in Labhrás Ó Murchú who was very prominent in the traditional Irish music organisation, Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann) and Lorcán for Lorcan. Most schools dedicated to the patron saint of Dublin, St Laurence O'Toole, would use 'Lorcán' in their name in Irish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

To be frank, you are trying to figure on a name for your child, why does it matter what names other people have? I never got that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    This website is great for showing popularity of names

http://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/
    I wouldn’t give a kid a name because it’s popular

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What did your husband think of Lorcan? I love the name
    Yes, 'Lorcán' struck mé or 'Dónal' for Daniel.

P.S. in modern Ireland, Dónal is usually spelt with only one L but in the Sloinnteoir (a much-respected book of the 'correct' Irish for surnames and some first names) it is given as Dónall. Incidentally, the Sloinnteoir gives 'Labhrás' for Laurence (as in Labhrás Ó Murchú who was very prominent in the traditional Irish music organisation, Comhaltas Ceoltóirí Éireann) and Lorcán for Lorcan. Most schools dedicated to the patron saint of Dublin, St Laurence O'Toole, would use 'Lorcán' in their name in Irish.
    Isn’t it lorcáin? Kids gaelscoil is scoil lorcáin

Lorcáin is genitive case of Lorcán - the School of Lorcán.

Advertisement